Thread: JBL K2-S9900 front plate

JBL K2-S9900 front plate

I need to know the thickness of the front plate on the S9900 speaker

can some of the K2-S9900 owners measure the front plate thickness for me?

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    I need to know the thickness of the front plate on the S9900 speaker

can some of the K2-S9900 owners measure the front plate thickness for me?

Here is a paragraph from the GT white paper on the K2 S9900 cabinet the information you are looking for is in the last section.

The transducers, horns and crossover networks are housed in a visually stunning enclosure that is
    reminiscent of both the K2 S9800 and Everest systems. The specially curved baffle provides the
    sidewalls for the main horn. The top and bottom horn flares are accomplished by the attachment of
    precision molded Sonoglas horn “lips” to the upper enclosure surface. A Sonoglas throat section is
    mounted inside the enclosure to provide the initial transition from the 38 mm exit of the 476Mg driver to the main horn section. The UHF driver is mounted to a Sonoglas horn which is attached to the back of the die cast aluminum housing. This assembly mounts to the top of the enclosure using a system of metal pins and rubber cups. This methodology provides proper alignment and a measure of mechanical isolation.

All of the flat surfaces of the enclosure are 25 mm MDF. The curved panels are made from two different thicknesses of grooved MDF and total 25 mm” combined. A proprietary process is utilized for creating the curved panels. Individual sheets of MDF are grooved to allow flexure and then locked into the proper radius with a backing material. Two different thickness of curved MDF are then combined to form the final thickness panel. These layers are both decoupled and extremely rigid. The voids between the grooves are filled with a foam/glue material after forming. This gives behavior much like double layer glass, which is used to isolate exterior noise in buildings. The enclosure bracing is designed as a shaped form over which the curved panels are applied. The complex bracing is used to precisely hold the outer curved panels in exactly the correct shape allowing exceptional fit and consistency. The woofer baffle module is a shell that is separately assembled and braced. It then slides into place where it’s bracing and that of the main enclosure actually interlock to form an extremely rigid and secure final structure. A painted outer baffle is then applied giving the total combined woofer baffle a thickness of 45 mm. The outer baffle is removable should repair or replacement of the painted surface ever be necessary.

Ok, so the front plates are 19mm

I read the info to indicate a 45mm front panel thickness.

Since Mexico uses Metric system, the MDF used is probably 2 x 12mm and 1 x 18-20mm. The rest of the thickness would be made up of CLD adhesives.

Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitero View Post

Am I missing something?
    25mm for the enclosure, plus an additional outer baffle that makes the front a total of 45mm...so, 20mm.

K2 S9900 Baffle

I found a picture of my K2 baffles I once had the woofers out a few years ago. As can be seen there are two pieces of different thickness.

Name:  DSCN4195.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  99.9 KB

Quote Originally Posted by christo View Post
    I found a picture of my K2 baffles I once had the woofers out a few years ago. As can be seen there are two pieces of different thickness.

Name:  DSCN4195.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  99.9 KB

Can you please tell me the thickness of the black front plate on your S9900 enclosure
    I need the measurement in mm

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    Can you please tell me the thickness of the black front plate on your S9900 enclosure
    I need the measurement in mm

20 mm

Thread Information