Thread: Modern amp for 4430?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Modern amp for 4430?

Hi,

I'll receive a pair of 4430's DIY (pic attached). And as a young audiophile I really need a decent but cheap amp for those incredible speakers!

I was thinking about a fully refurbished Phase Linear 400 White Oak, but it gonna be hard to get it upgraded in my country. So I'm searching something more recent. I was thinking about an emotiva basx a-300, but it's seems like a bit under powered and it's really hard to find one in europe. (200$ shipping cost from USA)

Do you have any recommendations for a decent power amp for a budget from 400 to 650 USD? I will also have to find a good preamp. Is it a good idea to mix a SS amp with a tube pre-amp?

Thank you a lot!

Name:  IMG_20140326_211557 (1).jpg
Views: 1873
Size:  142.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by MacTheZazou View Post
    Hi,

I'll receive a pair of 4430's DIY (pic attached). And as a young audiophile I really need a decent but cheap amp for those incredible speakers!

I was thinking about a fully refurbished Phase Linear 400 White Oak, but it gonna be hard to get it upgraded in my country. So I'm searching something more recent. I was thinking about an emotiva basx a-300, but it's seems like a bit under powered and it's really hard to find one in europe. (200$ shipping cost from USA)

Do you have any recommendations for a decent power amp for a budget from 400 to 650 USD? I will also have to find a good preamp. Is it a good idea to mix a SS amp with a tube pre-amp?
    Welcome!
    Not sure why you made two similar posts (photos issues, maybe?) but perhaps a moderator can combine the two.

I am a Crown amp fan, having powered my JBLs with them for over 45-years. I wouldn't mess with a Flame Linear no matter who has resurrected it. Too much scary history for an old guy like me. But the Crowns continue to soldier on. I would think the 200-wpc of the PS400 would serve you well. It's my favorite "D-series" Crown and I use it on the bottom of my bi-amped 4345s with—IMHO—superb results. Many Crowns made it to Europe under the Amcron name. Same amp, different name due to some trademark infringement in some countries. There are also many new Crown amps that some here have successfully used in their systems very recently that did not cost an arm-and-a-leg. They should be available to you. Hopefully others will know which models have worked for them.

For years I used a Mac C20 pre-amp with a Crown D150, in fact that system is still intact in my bedroom driving a pair of L112s that have been in their position since they were new. I liked the sound and would have no problem mixing tubes with solid-state, though all of my other system, including the two main ones, are all solid-state.

What are you using with your JBLs now?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Thank you a lot for your answer! I just asked to delete my double post. Just an upload bug.

I just received them without any amp. So I'm actively searching one. But I still have some time because the woofers are being "renovated".

In Europe, especially France, the Phase Linear 400 is very popular for the 4430. But they change a lot of components and the upgrade is quite expensive for me (400$).

I didn't know that you can found Crown in Europe with the Amcron name, but I still can't find any PS-400.

I will keep an eye to see if I find one.

Other amp recommendation? Is there anything new that would work nicely with those 4430? I've heard about Bi-amping the 4430's with a Yamaha P5000s & a P2500s

Have a nice day!

I don't think you can have good sounding pre + power amps for $500, except DIY.

Or just get a digital amp. You will never find any commercial analog amp (new or used) better than the digital amp for that price range, unless you are looking for some kind of specific coloration (distortion). I own 4425 (currently not used), and $100 Icepower module on Ebay was driving them surprisingly well. The overall clarity is not behind of much more expensive Pass Labs that I also own.

If you're looking for colored amp, buy anything you want. No one can predict if you will like it or not, unfortunately...

Good luck.

A bit off topic, but...

I'd invest in building or having someone help you build a pair of proper 4430 networks. Using a vintage JBL two-way network won't get you even close to the sound of a 4430.

Here is the factory schematic: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

These and upgraded versions have been built and posted about in many threads on this forum.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by MacTheZazou View Post
    Thank you a lot for your answer! I just asked to delete my double post. Just an upload bug.

I just received them without any amp. So I'm actively searching one. But I still have some time because the woofers are being "renovated".

In Europe, especially France, the Phase Linear 400 is very popular for the 4430. But they change a lot of components and the upgrade is quite expensive for me (400$).

I didn't know that you can found Crown in Europe with the Amcron name, but I still can't find any PS-400.

I will keep an eye to see if I find one.

Other amp recommendation? Is there anything new that would work nicely with those 4430? I've heard about Bi-amping the 4430's with a Yamaha P5000s & a P2500s

Have a nice day!
    HI MacTheZazou,

why not use some ROTEL RB series pow-amps. Thy are not so expensive as second-hand in Europe. Thy are of very high technical designed, and can produce high quality audio signals, especially for high-efficient speakers such You have mentioned.

RB990, RB980, RB97x...., and some RCxxx pre-amp

regards
    ivica

Welcome to the Forum. You mention that you await renovating (reconditioning) of the woofers. Are those woofers you speak of not the ones shown mounted in the photo?

The woofers shown are not what is fitted in the 4430 and likely not even JBL. That is not to say that they will not perform well and sound appealing but you really have a DIY speaker. So that is a challenge for us making amp suggestions based upon the 4430 specified drivers.
    David F
    San Jose

That's exactly what I was going to write. There is a substantial amount of signal shaping in that network for the horn and the integration to the woofer is very well done also.

Thats the money shot here.

4430's with the proper networks also have great polar response which makes them room friendly.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thank you a lot for your answers!

I would love to upgrade those 4430's but I don't have the budget right now. It'll definitely be a future project. Now I really need an amp for driving those beautiful speakers!

Actually, I'm considering to buy a Phase Linear 400 for 500 USD & doing the full white oak upgrade with the possibility of bi-amping the 4430's in the future, using the PL 400 for the woofer.

If you have any better amp (modern or vintage) for an extended budget range (500-1200 USD) I'm still totally open to others ideas.

To further drive the point home, those speakers will sound better with the correct crossover being powered by a table radio than as configured with the best electronics on the planet.

Back on topic, don't be seduced by the cool retro look of the Phase Linear 400. Years ago I was. It isn't a particularly good sounding amp. I'd go with a Hafler or one of the other decent mosfet amps.

Widget

Agree with other posters, spend the time/dollars on proper XO first. Integration of the components and signal shaping for the horn is key. You won't believe the difference in sound quality with the correct XO...

Re: amps, the Crown XLS 1502 has plenty of power, sounds good and is ~300 USD. If you decide to biamp in the future, the Crown can be used to drive the woofers... I biamp JBL 4722 with a Crown XLS 1502 for the woofers and Nelson Pass Class A single-ended mosfet ACA kits for the compression drivers using digital XO in my sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    To further drive the point home, those speakers will sound better with the correct crossover being powered by a table radio than as configured with the best electronics on the planet......
    Widget
    So true.

Also, isn't the center to center distance between the compression driver and woofer on the 44xx series of monitors critical for time alignment at crossover?

Thread Information