Thread: Paragon 1964

Paragon 1964

Hello everybody,

Six months ago I bought a Paragon, it was built here in Brazil in 1964.
    The speakers are in good condition. But it was built with another crossover made by the owner himself, a German engineer who lived here in Brazil.
    The photos are from when I bought the Paragon, they were very dirty, I did the total cleaning of the furniture.
    But now I'm wanting to put the original JBL crossovers, I have the expectation that the sound will get better.
    I already bought the N7000 in good condition, now I'm looking for the N500H.
    Do you have any suggestions about crossovers?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/VJf4WUrPUplLt57f1

Thanks
    Nilson Andrade

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Nilson View Post
    Hello everybody,

Six months ago I bought a Paragon, it was built here in Brazil in 1964.
    The speakers are in good condition. But it was built with another crossover made by the owner himself, a German engineer who lived here in Brazil.
    The photos are from when I bought the Paragon, they were very dirty, I did the total cleaning of the furniture.
    But now I'm wanting to put the original JBL crossovers, I have the expectation that the sound will get better.
    I already bought the N7000 in good condition, now I'm looking for the N500H.
    Do you have any suggestions about crossovers?
    I have no idea what the original owner did, but if he was a serious audiophile and engineer, I doubt you will gain anything by switching over to the JBL crossovers. In my opinion, JBL's networks crushed the performance of JBL systems and didn't start to shine until the late '70s.

If you want to try to improve your speakers I would suggest bi-amping or tri-amping.
    That said, it does look like the red caps are likely electrolytics and if so would need to be replaced.

Widget

I agree that electrolytics would need to be replaced. Replace them with films (especially for high frequency ones), and you'll hear big improvement. You will not need very expensive film caps. The difference between $5 and $40 film cap is much smaller than your old electrolytic cap and a new $5 film cap. Keep the original capacitors in case you will sell the Paragon in the future. Some audiofools want to buy the original condition ones even if they are non functioning!

Thread Information