Thread: A good interview with GT

Smile A good interview with GT

happened onto this , haven't seen it posted before, so ....

An Interview with Greg Timbers, Past Designer/Engineer for JBL

http://positive-feedback.com/intervi...g-timbers-jbl/
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thank you for this. A fascinating read. I did see this elsewhere but it's still interesting.

Have fun

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

"What speakers from JBL are you most proud of designing or being a part of?

GT: The speakers (or speaker lines) that most stand out are the following, chronologically.

4331, 4335 and 4315 studio Monitors. They were my very first products around 1973. The L300 is a 4333 in a home enclosure.
    L250 and the 250Ti models. 5 models that ran in production for 19 years.
    The Array series. I did those in the mid 2000's and they are still current.
    The Everest models, DD65000, DD66000, and DD67000.

I have designed literally hundreds of Loudspeaker systems and individual transducers but those are my favorites."

Have never heard of a 4335 , could it really be 4345 or a 4333 (since he alluded to that model) ?

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Have never heard of a 4335 , could it really be 4345 or a 4333 (since he alluded to that model) ?
    That's what I suggested when I read that article a few months ago. Maybe someone in-touch with GT could ask?

It would make me feel better!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    That's what I suggested when I read that article a few months ago. Maybe someone in-touch with GT could ask?

It would make me feel better!

Have never heard of a 4335 , could it really be 4345 (since he alluded to that model) ?

that is not a correct quote. modified to deceive.
    his response did NOT refer to a 4345, but to a 4333.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Have never heard of a 4335 , could it really be 4345 (since he alluded to that model) ?

that is not a correct quote. modified to deceive.
    his response did NOT refer to a 4345, but to a 4333.
    Your original quote it still there for those who care. I've restored your text I quoted, for posterity. We all know from a current thread on AK that the 4333 as restored by Kenrick with "leather" surrounds is the ultimate JBL ever produced. Not even the DD67000 can touch it. I'll just have to find solace in the designer's notes here on this site for validation of my lowly 4345 clones!

FWIW, I've sent this question twice to that site. Looks like it's again waiting to be approved for adding to the discussion:
    The discussion has come up elsewhere several times since this interview appeared about the systems Greg mentions as being most proud of. Was there a 4335 we missed out on, or is it more probable Greg said 4345 or 4333 and was mis-quoted? I'm hoping it's the 4345, since that's the favorite of my dozen JBLs in my home, but he references the 4333 later in the same sentence. Can we possibly get a clarification?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Your original quote it still there for those who care. I've restored your text I quoted, for posterity. We all know from a current thread on AK that the 4333 as restored by Kenrick with "leather" surrounds is the ultimate JBL ever produced. Not even the DD67000 can touch it. I'll just have to find solace in the designer's notes here on this site for validation of my lowly 4345 clones!

FWIW, I've sent this question twice to that site. Looks like it's again waiting to be approved for adding to the discussion:
    Maybe we should just address this to Greg directly since it is he who was quoted.

IMO, he probably was referring to BOTH the 4345 and the 4333, since both 3 and 4 ways systems were very effective solutions. Note he also referred to the 4331, a 2 way system, and the 3 way 4333 and ultimate 4 way 4345 would be chronologically correct and worthy considerations. The 4315, as many noted Greg to say, is a fantastic compact 4 way, and leads directly to the L250/250Ti type speakers in consumer guise, IMO.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Maybe we should just address this to Greg directly since it is he who was quoted.

IMO, he probably was referring to BOTH the 4345 and the 4333, since both 3 and 4 ways systems were very effective solutions.............
    On either of them I would suggest to change drivers 242x loaded with 2312/2307, with drivers 244x loaded with 2311.....

regards
    ivica

Thread Information