Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can you substitute the O77 8ohm diaphram with a 16ohm from a 2405 slot?

Can you substitute the O77 8ohm diaphram with a 16ohm from a 2405 slot?

meant can you swap 8 ohm for 16 ohm diaphram and my other question is, would it still retain the sweet sound the 77 is known for the only difference being 16ohm impedence? Thanks
    Last edited by vinny; 06-30-2017 at 03:37 PM. Reason: more info

Yes you can. They are actually identical no matter what the foilcal on the driver says.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Yes you can. They are actually identical no matter what the foilcal on the driver says.

Barry.
    Thanks Barry so the 077s are 16ohm impedence regardless if it says 8ohms on the foil? So i dont have to change the diaphrams on the ones i got to 16ohm diaphram which i wanted to do.
    Last edited by vinny; 06-30-2017 at 09:41 PM. Reason: typos

Right. You wont need to swap the diaphragms. Actually the AC impedance is right about 12 Ohms on all of them.

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Right. You wont need to swap the diaphragms. Actually the AC impedance is right about 12 Ohms on all of them. Barry.
    Thanks i will use these 077s on my unique 16ohm setup. 175 Le15a and add 077. Just looking for the right crossovers and trying to find the correct plans to build the right boxes for them. Barry what do you know about the 076 cats eye bullet? Anything special sonically speaking?

Barry if you dont mind the extra questions. Are you familiar with the LE15 woofer? One came with foam surround 16 ohms and the other i seen in L200 system paper accordion surround at 8 ohms. Would that 8 ohm le15 still be 16 ohm regardless? I want everything 16ohms in my new project thats why asking. Lastly whats the perfect crossover for the le15a 16ohm..thanks agaian

Hi Vinny;

I don't mind at all but that's a question I don't have an answer for. Hopefully someone that knows will chime in.

All the best.
    Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    Barry if you dont mind the extra questions. Are you familiar with the LE15 woofer? One came with foam surround 16 ohms and the other i seen in L200 system paper accordion surround at 8 ohms. Would that 8 ohm le15 still be 16 ohm regardless? I want everything 16ohms in my new project thats why asking. Lastly whats the perfect crossover for the le15a 16ohm..thanks agaian
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but there are several woofers in this family. See Below.

Foam Surrounds
    LE15 - 16 ohms
    LE15A - 16 ohms
    LE15H - 8 ohms
    2215A - 8 ohms
    2215B - 16 ohms

Cloth Surrounds
    LE15B - 4-6 ohms
    2216 - 4-6 ohms

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but there are several woofers in this family. See Below.Foam SurroundsLE15 - 16 ohmsLE15A - 16 ohmsLE15H - 8 ohms2215A - 8 ohms2215B - 16 ohmsCloth SurroundsLE15B - 4-6 ohms2216 - 4-6 ohms
    Thanks that clarified things. So the le15b is not 16ohms and label not misprinted like many early jbl bullet tweeters in the past

Thanks that clarified things. So the le15b is not 16ohms and label not misprinted like many early jbl bullet tweeters in the past
    Yes, the LE15B is not 16 ohms. The others are not misprints. There are various ideas as to why JBL printed different nominal impedance values on the exact same drivers at different times.

Widget

Yes, the LE15B is not 16 ohms. The others are not misprints. There are various ideas as to why JBL printed different nominal impedance values on the exact same drivers at different times.

Widget
    Thanks mr Widget if i may ask whats the ideal crossover for the Le15a and matching high frequency horn and tweeter and its matching crossover?

L300 best choice for home hi fi

Why don't you take a look at the L300? It's a modern update of sorts of what you are considering and sounds considerably better. There are some useful threads here on site including crossover schematic (search).

Thanks mr Widget if i may ask whats the ideal crossover for the Le15a and matching high frequency horn and tweeter and its matching crossover?
    There are too many variables for me to give you really useful info.

I agree with the poster above, the L-300 is a great starting point. If you can't get those parts all lined up then try cloning a JBL that has the parts you do have.

In my opinion JBL has gotten better and better over the decades so a newer design will likely offer better results, though there is a lot to like from each decade.

Widget

There are too many variables for me to give you really useful info.

I agree with the poster above, the L-300 is a great starting point. If you can't get those parts all lined up then try cloning a JBL that has the parts you do have.

In my opinion JBL has gotten better and better over the decades so a newer design will likely offer better results, though there is a lot to like from each decade.

Widget
    thats not what i been hearing from the groups that ever since 1979 when they went to ceramic magnets and cut costs they regressed and tTad has blown right past Jbl in construction and sonic quality. Its now relegated to mediocre stature in their drivers. Paradigm even makes better drivers than modern jbl which is just living on its past reputation.

thats not what i been hearing from the groups that ever since 1979 when they went to ceramic magnets and cut costs they regressed and tTad has blown right past Jbl in construction and sonic quality. Its now relegated to mediocre stature in their drivers. Paradigm even makes better drivers than modern jbl which is just living on its past reputation.
    Yep, same thing happened to Ford after the end of production of the Model A. It's been a downward spiral ever since.

Widget

Thread Information