Thread: "Restored" LE111H pair

"Restored" LE111H pair

I picked up a pair of JBL LE111H drivers who where supposedly restored by a pro.
    The spider and surround are replaced with new parts from MWA. cone and coil are oem.

The problem are that these do not measure anything close too JBL`s published specs.

FS are 42-45hz (should be close to 30hz)

The surround seems to be too stiff, but are they the only problem? or can the spiders be a part of the problem?
    (the only 6,7" spider for 3" coil in the MWA catalog are of B stiffness and should be pretty soft)

I can try too replace the surrounds with a pair from Rick Cobb, but irritating enough, it would have been far easier if I bought drivers with rotted surrounds, instead of these with their new MWA abominations

Quote Originally Posted by FE3T View Post
    I picked up a pair of JBL LE111H drivers who where supposedly restored by a pro.
    The spider and surround are replaced with new parts from MWA. cone and coil are oem.

The problem are that these do not measure anything close too JBL`s published specs.

FS are 42-45hz (should be close to 30hz)

The surround seems to be too stiff, but are they the only problem? or can the spiders be a part of the problem?
    (the only 6,7" spider for 3" coil in the MWA catalog are of B stiffness and should be pretty soft)

I can try too replace the surrounds with a pair from Rick Cobb, but irritating enough, it would have been far easier if I bought drivers with rotted surrounds, instead of these with their new MWA abominations
    If the work was done with care and they are nice and clean, it could be that they just need some break-in time. 30-50 hours is usually required to season the suspensions.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    If the work was done with care and they are nice and clean, it could be that they just need some break-in time. 30-50 hours is usually required to season the suspensions.
    I have a pair of 2122H here too. they are reconed with oem conekits. when comparing the surrounds from these too those on the earlier mentioned LE111H drivers. the LE111H surrounds feels like they are twice as thick and twice as stiff. Am I correct when believing the oem 2122H surrounds should be similar too the oem LE111H surrounds? if that's the case, are my surrounds completely unsuitable for the drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by FE3T View Post
    I have a pair of 2122H here too. they are reconed with oem conekits. when comparing the surrounds from these too those on the earlier mentioned LE111H drivers. the LE111H surrounds feels like they are twice as thick and twice as stiff. Am I correct when believing the oem 2122H surrounds should be similar too the oem LE111H surrounds? if that's the case, are my surrounds completely unsuitable for the drivers.
    The aftermarket surrounds do tend to be thicker, but it also depends on how soft the foam is. The thicker surrounds do last longer.

That said, try breaking them in for a while. Foam surrounds, especially the thicker ones will loosen up with play time. The resin in the lighter surrounds also needs time to loosen up.

Hi Ken,

When you say "If the work was done with care and they are nice and clean, are you referring to clean appearance or to a clean Gap?

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    Hi Ken,

When you say "If the work was done with care and they are nice and clean, are you referring to clean appearance or to a clean Gap?

Richard
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    The aftermarket surrounds do tend to be thicker, but it also depends on how soft the foam is. The thicker surrounds do last longer.

That said, try breaking them in for a while. Foam surrounds, especially the thicker ones will loosen up with play time. The resin in the lighter spiders also needs time to loosen up.
    I corrected my typo. Sorry for any confusion.

Thread Information