Thread: 4350

Hi all. Would like to know if anyone has a drawing for a 4350 speaker that would be built in a tall vertical array layout.?All the drivers in line on the baffle. advantage or disadvantage of this type of cabinet? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KTG View Post
    Hi all. Would like to know if anyone has a drawing for a 4350 speaker that would be built in a tall vertical array layout.?All the drivers in line on the baffle. advantage or disadvantage of this type of cabinet? thanks
    This is probably not what you are looking for but here it is my all vertical DIY 4350.
    I built this a long time ago, do not have any plans, it is big and heavy, 36” wide and 55.5” high.
    I never particularly liked the horizontal arrangement of the original system, to me they just don’t fit or look right in a residential setting. Most are too low, even the ones riding on casters are just too close to the floor, same issue with 4435 and Everests.
    Anyway, here it is, one big disadvantage of my system is the weight, I used two layers of laminated ¾” plywood and particle boards for the 5 cu. ft. enclosures, zero resonance, but they are heavy.
    Lessons learned, if I had to do this over again I would make them in two separate cabinets, one for the dual 15” drivers and another for the tree way upper ends.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks Vahe, appreciate the photo. the really do look good. I was thinking maybe something like a Tyler Acoustics model PD90 , Ken

Few here build it. It's the 4351. I would recommand the 4355 components. The 2235 is the best for it.
    I would not recommend what is below... Vents are not only holes...

I would try to contact Focalguy. He has the best in my own opinion...

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...light=Jbl+4351

Thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    Vents are not only holes...

If this comment is in reference to my DIY 4350 let me clarify:
    Regarding the three “holes” seen on the baffle board, the one at the top and to the left of 12” driver (2202) is actually a hole that remained on the baffle board after I decided to move the 2405 to the right side directly above the 2” compression driver (2440), that hole does not affect anything as the woofers are in individual 5 cu. ft. enclosure and the mid bass (2202) is also in its own 1.6 cu. ft. sub chamber.
    The other two ‘holes” are actually tuning ports, these are black PVC pipes 4” diameter and 4 ½” long, they both extend into their respective 5 cu. ft. enclosures for each 15” woofers (2235).
    I decided to house the woofers in separate sealed chambers, this is different and unlike the stock units where both woofers are in one large 9.5 cu. ft. enclosures.

Quote Originally Posted by Vahe Sahakian View Post
    If this comment is in reference to my DIY 4350 let me clarify:
    Regarding the three “holes” seen on the baffle board, the one at the top and to the left of 12” driver (2202) is actually a hole that remained on the baffle board after I decided to move the 2405 to the right side directly above the 2” compression driver (2440), that hole does not affect anything as the woofers are in individual 5 cu. ft. enclosure and the mid bass (2202) is also in its own 1.6 cu. ft. sub chamber.
    The other two ‘holes” are actually tuning ports, these are black PVC pipes 4” diameter and 4 ½” long, they both extend into their respective 5 cu. ft. enclosures for each 15” woofers (2235).
    I decided to house the woofers in separate sealed chambers, this is different and unlike the stock units where both woofers are in one large 9.5 cu. ft. enclosures.
    I know, I build my 4355's but 4.5 inches long is not enough. It should be 5' diameter and a foot long times two, to meet the same specs than the 4355's. I supect that yours are tuned higher than 32Hz.

Off course you should isolate the 2202...

Did you do the measurements? Do you have a the frequency divider with 5145 cards?

... unless the "two" ports described are one per driver

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    ... unless the "two" ports described are one per driver
    And the 2202 can't have one...

Thats a good sized cabinet there, I had built a pair of 4350 about 10 years ago. Had a freind who had a pair and got all the exact specs from him, Got the 3107 crossovers from the JBL Tent sale for 80$ each!! Really loved the speakers and when i sold them they went for more $$ then a pair of utility gray factory made 4350.
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

Ear level positioning of (in this case) the listener

Regarding a fully vertical driver stacking scheme.

From all I've studied and built and listened to others' projects, the midrange (2440 with the short horn and 3108 lens) and highrange (2405) drivers should be at the same height as the listeners' ears for best results.

I'm thinking that the vertical point half way between the top edge of the 3108 and the lower edge of the 2405 would be satisfactory. But with the two 15 inchers stacked vertically a tall chair would be needed,

If you are using the 250 Hz, 12 db / octave crossover frequency, bi-amped approach ala' the original design, what about using one 15" facing forward and one on a side? These monsters will need to sit a fair way out from any wall anyway, so that might somehow be workable.

I made two 5 cu. ft. subs with 2235's with the lower woofer edge at about 2' off the floor, and the results were spectacular with amazing articulation of every separate bass tone produced, On good recordings, I should add.

I used 3/4" MDF with lots of bracing and screws. They were to be industrial grey finished so the screws went in through the MDF and into the braces.

And, what about the 2235/2234 arraingement used on the big 43xx biradial systems? Could be a good point to ponder.

Also some great vertically arrayed driver systems such as the 4410's, with outstanding imaging, did have slight horizontal offsets but I don't know what is behind the engineering of that well enough to attempt to comment on specifics.

Too bad Drew Daniels left us, he would probably like to offer expert input on your Lanszillas project.

Regards, -D_E-
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Thank DE, Very good info, A good place to start. Would 1 woofer at the bottom and 1 on the top with remaining drivers between work? I was thinking something similar to Tyler Acoustics PD 90 speaker arrangement. thanks

Counter intuitive?

Thank DE, Very good info, A good place to start. Would 1 woofer at the bottom and 1 on the top with remaining drivers between work? I was thinking something similar to Tyler Acoustics PD 90 speaker arrangement. thanks
    This is just a guess, but it seems to me that in terms of excellent imaging, which the all-vertical alignment is all about, the ungrouped, spread-apart woofer layout would be a disaster. The system you mentioned, if it is a really good system, had to have had considerable development effort, and attention to issues relating to its drivers, their placement, their interaction, and especially the design of its crossover network. Using the stock 4350 components, despite there very high quality, in such a radical physical departure from the basic 4350 layout just doesn't seem to sit right.

But seriously I would look further at the 2235/2234 pairing as a way to actually improve upon the stock 4350 of the late 70's/early 80's. Today, 37 years later, you have quite a few more options for DIYing an improved version. Which would be truly stunning IMO.

Regards, -D_E-
    Last edited by Doctor_Electron; 06-22-2017 at 02:16 AM. Reason: A loose nut behind my keyboard.
    "Why don't you Mine your own Bismuth, so you won't be mining mine?"

Thanks DE, I will research further.

Thread Information