Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Peter Green Man of the World. Documentary ..70 minutes

Peter Green Man of the World. Documentary ..70 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VC0DayWUY64

LOTS of great history, tunes

From the doc..in 1969 Peter Greens Fleetwood Mac sold more than The Beatles & Stones ..together. ?
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thanks for the link. I'll watch it later. One of my favorites!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Thanks for the link. I'll watch it later. One of my favorites!

After watching, wanted more. Logged onto our local library and found this set:

Green, Peter, guitarist
    Title: The anthology

Publisher: London : Salvo/Union Square Music, 2008
    Characteristics: 4 sound discs (ca. 4 hr., 30 min.) : digital ; 4 3/4 in. + 1 booklet (71 p. : ill. ; 18 cm.)

Contents: Disc 1. Evil woman blues / with John Mayall
    The stumble / with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
    Sitting in the rain / with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
    The world keep on turning / with Fleetwood Mac
    The supernatural / with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
    Looking for somebody / with Fleetwood Mac
    Long grey mare / with Fleetwood Mac ; feat. Bob Brunning
    Stop messin' around / with Fleetwood Mac
    Train is coming / with Eddie Boyd & his Blues Band
    Greeny / with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
    Soul dressing / with Peter B's Looners
    I loved another woman / with Fleetwood Mac
    No place to go / with Fleetwood Mac
    You don't love me / with John Mayall's Bluesbreakers
    Lazy poker blues / with Fleetwood Mac
    Merry go round / with Fleetwood Mac
    Trying so hard to forget / with Duster Bennett
    Ramblin' pony / with Fleetwood Mac
    Drifting / with Fleetwood Mac
    Disc 2. Black magic woman / with Fleetwood Mac
    Albatross / with Fleetwood Mac
    Ain't nobody's business / with Otis Spann
    Someday baby / with Otis Spann
    Watch out / with Fleetwood Mac
    Ooh baby / with Fleetwood Mac
    Horton's boogie woogie (take one) / with Walter Horton, Otis Spann & S.P. Leary
    Love that burns / with Fleetwood Mac
    First train home / with Fleetwood Mac
    Need your love so bad / with Fleetwood Mac
    Don't goof with the spook / with Peter Bardens
    The answer / with Peter Bardens
    Homage to the god of light / with Peter Bardens
    Oh well (part 1 and 2) / with Fleetwood Mac
    Disc 3. Man of the world / with Fleetwood Mac
    Before the beginning / with Fleetwood Mac
    Momma don'tcha cry / Peter Green
    Underway / with Fleetwood Mac
    Rattlesnake shake / with Fleetwood Mac
    It's gonna be me / Peter Green
    White sky (love that evil woman) / with Fleetwood Mac
    The green manalishi (with the two prong crown) / with Fleetwood Mac
    Show-biz blues / with Fleetwood Mac
    In the skies / Peter Green
    Like a hot tomato / Peter Green
    Whatcha gonna do? / Peter Green
    Carry my love / Peter Green
    Corners of my mind / Peter Green
    Hidden depth / Peter Green ; feat. Zoot Money
    Disc 4. Big change is gonna come / with Splinter Group
    I'm a steady rollin' man / with Nigel Watson & Splinter Group ; feat. Otis Rush
    It takes time / with Splinter Group
    Don't walk away / with Splinter Group
    Heart of stone / with Splinter Group
    Love in vain blues / with Nigel Watson & Splinter Group
    From four until late / with Nigel Watson & Splinter Group ; feat. Dr. John
    I'm ready for you / with Splinter Group
    Cruel contradictions / with Dick Heckstall-Smith
    Me and the devil blues / with Nigel Watson & Splinter Group
    Cross road blues / with Nigel Watson & Splinter Group ; feat. Buddy Guy
    Dead shrimp blues / with Nigel Watson & Splinter Group' ; feat. Hubert Sumlin
    Travelling riverside blues / with Nigel Watson & Splinter Group ; feat. Joe Louis Walker & Honey Boy Edwards
    Time keeps slipping away / with Splinter Group
    Look out for yourself / with Splinter Group
    Albatross / with Chris Coco

Peter comes across as a doddler in the Youtube vids..a bit hard to understand.

Do you also enjoy Chicken Shack & Free , Phil ?

Free was my favorite back in high-school. Of course I fell for "The Voice", Paul Rodgers, but I was also mesmerized by the bass playing of Andy Frasier. Certainly one of the finest bass-players of that era. I accepted Kossof's guitar playing but in retrospect it was a perfect minimalist accompaniment to the rest of the group.

Have you checked out your library's Peter Green set or do they have it in digital form on-line? I wonder how good it is. I see it on Amazon but it's a bit pricey (oddly, it's about 1/3 the price on Amazon Canada):

I have one of Green's Splinter Group CDs which is mostly fantastic.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Have you checked out your library's Peter Green set or do they have it in digital form on-line? I wonder how good it is. I see it on Amazon but it's a bit pricey :
    I have one of Green's Splinter Group CDs which is mostly fantastic.
    The lib has it online, but I'd prefer the CD's (I'm in line for them) , will post here about the quality when I receive it, also put holds on:

Blues Don't Change
    By Peter Green Splinter Group

Me & the Devil
    By Green, Peter

Then Play on
    By Fleetwood Mac (Musical group)
    (have read that TPO parts 1 & 2 were reversed)

All Points Bulletin
    By Dispatch (Musical group) (to get some Phil Keaggy , who also was highly recommended)

try some Chicken Shack ? http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post384800

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Sure, Chicken Shack. I was/am a fan of the earlier Fleetwood Mac and Chicken Shack was Christine Perfect's employment before that outfit and her marriage to John McVie. By the time of this recording the Shack had become quite influenced by the inspirations and playing of the great Peter Green. The vocals and guitar work are obviously so here. Some of Chicken Shack's work was also influenced by F/M's Danny Kirwan, like here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51yWnDOryQo

Danny Kirwan came from Boilerhouse, and Green, Fleetwood and McVie from John Mayall's Bluesbreakers. There was a lot of Blues talent in the UK in those days and Green's echos were all over it. The Chicago Blues hit the UK very, very hard and we are all the better for it. Remember Led Zeppelin's "Tea For One"? To this day, Peter Green was the best guitarist I have ever heard and his vocals were just as soulful.

"Oh Well" parts one and two were reversed by the record company, yes. I have the Anthology and I like it. Like most anthologies of anyone I am crazy about, it is good as far as it goes. Which is far enough for the more casual listener. As an example, one song from The End Of The Game was not enough for me.

If you are not familiar with Green's work with The Splinter Group and after, know that he sings very well but is a very different guitarist than he was in the Sixties and Seventies. The drug disaster in Germany and its aftermath cut deeply.

Being a fan of Fleetwood Mac after Green, I sometimes lament the short shrift streaming services and CD catalogs give to the releases after Then Play On and before the Buckingham-Nicks era. Not to mention that Time, by the best band lineup after Kirwan left, is not even mentioned in the record company's listings. Detested by critics and most fans, it sold poorly. It is the only non Buckingham-Nicks release after 1974. Bekka Bramlett was the most talented female singer the band ever had. Dave Mason was in the lineup too. You have to jump a few hurdles to get any of this stuff. There is one uncredited Peter Green guest performance in the "between" time, some spare guitar lines on one song, and it is lost in the barely available era.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Hauled home the CD of Blues Don't Change by Peter Green

It's very nice. but covers of classic blues, not his original work.

A little jazzy, not so much bluesy, but very listenable with good dynamics.

http://www.amazon.com/Blues-Dont-Cha...t&pageNumber=1
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Being a fan of Fleetwood Mac after Green, I sometimes lament the short shrift streaming services and CD catalogs give to the releases after Then Play On and before the Buckingham-Nicks era. Not to mention that Time, by the best band lineup after Kirwan left, is not even mentioned in the record company's listings.
    These were always my favorites and coincide with my "formative" years of high-school . . . and beyond.

Not sure what to think of Time, as in whether or not I should add it to my collection, or not for an investment of less than ten-bucks.

So far this year I've enlightened my daughters by showing that most Christmas songs were written by Jews. Now I've shown them that one of their Dad's favorite Bluesmen, Peter Green, was born "Greenbaum", too. It increases their musical experience and keeps them in touch with their grandfather's heritage all at the same time!

Time bears little resemblance to Fleetwood Mac's other work. That's why few liked it; they were expecting something else. I won't defend it, just say that some of the songs therein are favorites of mine. Others I skip. Rhapsody does stream it, for listening or download. Some of it reminds me of the Danny Kirwan era.

One of the nice things about the Kiln House through Heroes Are Hard To Find catalog is the talent that rotated through the group then. Bob Weston uncorked a memorable slide lead on the first cut on Penguin, a Christine McVie song "Remember Me", which may pop into my head on my deathbed. Danny Kirwan's tone on "Tell Me All The Things You Do" from Kiln House is the most constipated I can remember, and also memorable. That is well heard, being an FM staple for decades. Soundcloud has a live workout of it, but with the tone more open. Kirwan was a fantastic musician. Half of what are considered Green's parts are Danny's. This was one of the best live bands ever. Easy to recognize the rhythm section. It is fitting and proper that the band is called Fleetwood Mac.

https://soundcloud.com/mongacuca/fleetwood-mac-tell-me-all-the-things-you-do
    Name:  Fleetwood Mac Tell Me All.jpg
Views: 1083
Size:  68.5 KB

So you like Blues ?

Tired of the same ol' crap ?? I guarantee this is different from anything you have ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbfnP3nhghk

That is hilarious. It does have horns on it...

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Tired of the same ol' crap ?? I guarantee this is different from anything you have ever heard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbfnP3nhghk

Music for the Iowa caucus site reporting...

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Music for the Iowa caucus site reporting...
    Johnny is funny too

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl4J1fjuKdg

Johnny Cash - Flushed From The Bathroom Of Your Heart

so The PG/Splinter Group's time is about up and gotta go back to the county. I gave it another spin. Somehow I liked it much better the second time

In the Man of the World documentary , Peter kinda mumbles a lot. Accent gets lost sometimes. BUT , singing ..he is clear and concise. I've noticed that on a lot of Brits ... in speaking , lots of local accent, but singing , well they could be American.

Hows that happen ?

so The PG/Splinter Group's time is about up and gotta go back to the county. I gave it another spin. Somehow I liked it much better the second time

In the Man of the World documentary , Peter kinda mumbles a lot. Accent gets lost sometimes. BUT , singing ..he is clear and concise. I've noticed that on a lot of Brits ... in speaking , lots of local accent, but singing , well they could be American.

Hows that happen ?
    I read in the distant past that the brain uses different mechanisms for speaking and singing. It is also said by many working musicians that when one plays and sings at the same time, one of them will be performed on autopilot.

I used to know a man from Gela in Sicily. He was a friend, my Macrobiotics guru, and a casual acoustic guitar strumming folk singer. Lino always spoke with a distinct Sicilian accent but when he sang it was with a perfect American diction without a trace of the accent. He attested that there was no conscious effort involved, it just came out that way.

from pg 147 of "what's playing now"

reviewing the anthology 4 disk set:

disk #1 was so good that I can't progress to #2 . It's the bluesy one with cuts from John Mayall, Fleetwood Mac, Eddie Boyd , Peter B's Looners and Duster Bennett.

sounds like it was recorded yesterday . Found this tidbit on wiki ...

but quickly started playing a Gibson Les Paul with The Bluesbreakers and Green's guitar was often referred to as his "magic guitar". In 2000 he told Guitar Player magazine: "I never had a magic one. Mine wasn't magic...It just barely worked.". In part, his unique tone derived from the neck pickup having been installed with the magnet in reverse during a repair while on tour in America, resulting in an out of phase sound

Thread Information