Thread: Altec nuts and bolts / thread type etc

Altec nuts and bolts / thread type etc

Hi, im wondering if anyone knows the size and thread type for bolts on altec greenface products?

Ive some 1569a amps which no longer have the bolts to hold the green faces onto the body of the amp, but i cant ascertain which bolts to buy to match the thread?

I believe they are dome shaped heads with a threaded shaft attached.. any ideas please?

I suppose you're talking about the small bolts that hold the hinged face-plate in place .

Don't know / but thought a picture was useful moving forward .

Quote Originally Posted by oldbrowndog View Post
    Hi, im wondering if anyone knows the size and thread type for bolts on altec greenface products?

Ive some 1569a amps which no longer have the bolts to hold the green faces onto the body of the amp, but i cant ascertain which bolts to buy to match the thread?

I believe they are dome shaped heads with a threaded shaft attached.. any ideas please?
    Greetings -

During the 70's the screws that secured the face panel were a bright nickel Phillip truss head, not bolts. And if memory serves me correctly, were an 8-32 thread. I recommend using a nylon washer underneath the screw head, lest you might bugger the paint.

Great i guess i need to find a different bolt with that thread as the originals are hard to find i suppose.. Heres a pic.. (kind of slot head with dome headName:  IMG_9279.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  63.6 KB)

That looks like a standard slotted machine screw, that someone has put a nyloc nut on, and tightened snug up to the bottom side of the machine screw head-

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyL View Post
    That looks like a standard slotted machine screw, that someone has put a nyloc nut on, and tightened snug up to the bottom side of the machine screw head-
    I believe you are right... In any case I dont know what kind of thread type it is..? if it is 8-32 that would be helpful to know as i need a few more to finish these units off...

Hard to say without being able to measure the thread major diameter with a vernier caliper, but, if you have a ruler or good tape measure, you can eyeball across the bolt diameter. If it looks like close to 3/16", then it will be a # 10-24 tpi, by the looks of the picture, and if it measures smaller than that, try an # 8-32tpi. I would put my money on # 10-24tpi though- Hope this helps-
    Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyL View Post
    Hard to say without being able to measure the thread major diameter with a vernier caliper, but, if you have a ruler or good tape measure, you can eyeball across the bolt diameter. If it looks like close to 3/16", then it will be a # 10-24 tpi, by the looks of the picture, and if it measures smaller than that, try an # 8-32tpi. I would put my money on # 10-24tpi though- Hope this helps-
    Darcy
    ok many thanks for the input

Thread Information