Thread: JBL 4312a Control Monitors--harsh frequency coming off woofers

JBL 4312a Control Monitors--harsh frequency coming off woofers

Hi All,

I am a proud owner of a nice pair of JBL 4312a control monitors....and a proud owner of 4408's and 4406's as well. I love all of them but really dig the 4312a's. However I have to say they are harsh and unforgiving. There is an upper-mid or low-high frequency that comes off the woofers that drives me up a wall. I can dial down the midrange and the tweeter and the frequency that bigs me is definitely coming off the large cones. Can anyone tell me why or what I can do about it? One of them was professionally re-coned all JBL parts. Everything seems to be in working order. Do I maybe need to replace the capacitors? Is there a known 'diffraction' that comes of them big ridged paper cones? I've had to resort to draping some fabric over the cones to reduce this frequency.

Perhaps someone could suggest a nice tube amp that would play well with these? Perhaps there is someone out there that could design and build an updated crossover for these?

I am using a tube-based modwright Oppo as my digital playback source. Emotiva amp.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brett

>>>I love all of them but really dig the 4312a's. However I have to say they are harsh and unforgiving. There is an upper-mid or low-high frequency that comes off the woofers that drives me up a wall.

I love all of them but really dig the 4312a's

However I have to say they are harsh and unforgiving. There is an upper-mid or low-high frequency that comes off the woofers that drives me up a wall.

NOT to be a d1ck, but these 2 statements seem to contradict each other.

maybe you can do this or that to tame their problems , but it may be easier with better result to move on , sell them and find something that has fewer faults. ?

I had the original 4312's recently and agree with your assessment. I sold them for much more than they were worth to me. In my case, I really enjoy the 120Ti's, which are a similar 3 way - 12 inch bookshelf of about the same size. They are little known to the public and quite undervalued. The proceeds from 4312a's would surely more than pay for a nice pair of 120's. IMHO.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    >>>I love all of them but really dig the 4312a's. However I have to say they are harsh and unforgiving. There is an upper-mid or low-high frequency that comes off the woofers that drives me up a wall.

I love all of them but really dig the 4312a's

However I have to say they are harsh and unforgiving. There is an upper-mid or low-high frequency that comes off the woofers that drives me up a wall.

NOT to be a d1ck, but these 2 statements seem to contradict each other.

maybe you can do this or that to tame their problems , but it may be easier with better result to move on , sell them and find something that has fewer faults. ?

I had the original 4312's recently and agree with your assessment. I sold them for much more than they were worth to me. In my case, I really enjoy the 120Ti's, which are a similar 3 way - 12 inch bookshelf of about the same size. They are little known to the public and quite undervalued. The proceeds from 4312a's would surely more than pay for a nice pair of 120's. IMHO.
    Hi
    If this is the speaker you have in mind then please tell me where you do your shopping! Much more costly as a rule than original version 4312s based on what I've seen looking at auction sales. Harder to find in any sort of condition too.

Thread Information