Hi All,

I am a proud owner of a nice pair of JBL 4312a control monitors....and a proud owner of 4408's and 4406's as well. I love all of them but really dig the 4312a's. However I have to say they are harsh and unforgiving. There is an upper-mid or low-high frequency that comes off the woofers that drives me up a wall. I can dial down the midrange and the tweeter and the frequency that bigs me is definitely coming off the large cones. Can anyone tell me why or what I can do about it? One of them was professionally re-coned all JBL parts. Everything seems to be in working order. Do I maybe need to replace the capacitors? Is there a known 'diffraction' that comes of them big ridged paper cones? I've had to resort to draping some fabric over the cones to reduce this frequency.

Perhaps someone could suggest a nice tube amp that would play well with these? Perhaps there is someone out there that could design and build an updated crossover for these?

I am using a tube-based modwright Oppo as my digital playback source. Emotiva amp.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brett