Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2242hpl / 2245h subwoofer

2242hpl / 2245h subwoofer

Hello and thanks much in advance.

I have read what I could find, both here and elsewhere, about the JBL 2242HPL and 2245H Woofers. Recently, I was compelled to buy a couple of each, and now I would like to have a subwoofer utilized featuring two 18" JBL woofers. I have read that the 2245H goes a bit lower in frequency, is somewhat less efficient, and has considerable but somewhat less power handling ability than it's 2242HPL cousin. I have read about the surrounds and their durability, and also that the 2245H requires a larger cabinet.

My dilemma is multi faceted: I have a smaller space than ideal for the subwoofer box, I am not certain where I can find information regarding cabinet volume, porting, etc., and ultimately I will need to find someone who can fabricate a proper enclosure for me. So while I believe I am off to a great start, I am MILES away from the finish line, looking for and deeply appreciating any and all advice, experience, and recommendations that Forum members can offer.

Presently, I have an acoustic suspension enclosure housing two 18" automotive subwoofers (which sound much better than one would expect). Crossed over with a rather steep slope at 50 Hz at the moment, their effect, while potentially profound, is not at all intrusive into the upper bass / lower midrange. It is powered by an inexpensive but ample Crown XTI 4000 amplifier.

Again, my sincere thanks to all who can point this bewildered enthusiast in the right direction.

I can never find the page, but Rusty has linked to the 2245 plan section here. Nothing on the 2242, but something to read until maybe somebody else comes along.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post345541

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I can never find the page, but Rusty has linked to the 2245 plan section here. Nothing on the 2242, but something to read until maybe somebody else comes along.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post345541

Thank you very much!!!

Do you have a fireplace?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Yes, actually, I do. I laughed when I first saw that photo. My wife isn't thrilled with the looks of my 4435s, let alone THAT arrangement...

Might have a look at this if you lean toward the 2242:
    http://www.jblsynthesis.com/tl_files...ec%20sheet.pdf

Hey Valveglow. The 2245 and the newer 2242 are two completely different 18" drivers for two different purposes.

The 2245 is high fidelity subwoofer. Great for home use. With Fs-20Hz

The 2242 is for sound reinforcement. High power but Fs-35Hz

Pick your poison ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Hey Valveglow. The 2245 and the newer 2242 are two completely different 18" drivers for two different purposes.

The 2245 is high fidelity subwoofer. Great for home use. With Fs-20Hz

The 2242 is for sound reinforcement. High power but Fs-35Hz

Pick your poison ;-)

Thanks Lee. That is about the ONLY thing I know about them. Due to space limitations, I may not be able to utilize the 2245s. Any idea where I could find diagrams, plans, etc to house either one? I'm flying blind here...

Quote Originally Posted by Valveglow View Post
    Thanks Lee. That is about the ONLY thing I know about them. Due to space limitations, I may not be able to utilize the 2245s. Any idea where I could find diagrams, plans, etc to house either one? I'm flying blind here...
    Hi,

I think that our member "grumpy" has shown the possible solution for 2242 in the
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post406096

if talking about 2245, then 10 cft would be the best solution, and for the smaller box You can use GT solution...

regards
    ivica

I'm seriously thinking about building 6ft. isobaric boxes for 2245s. Simple cone to cone with form tubes as chambers. You'd never know to look at them.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Might have a look at this if you lean toward the 2242:
    http://www.jblsynthesis.com/tl_files...ec%20sheet.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi,

I think that our member "grumpy" has shown the possible solution for 2242 in the
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post406096

if talking about 2245, then 10 cft would be the best solution, and for the smaller box You can use GT solution...

regards
    ivica

Thanks Gents! It's a good start, except that the cabinet cannot exceed 18 inches in depth. I do not know if adding to height or width to make up volume would hurt the design. Incidentally, what is the "GT" solution??

Quote Originally Posted by Valveglow View Post
    Incidentally, what is the "GT" solution??
    Probably the W15GTi... Requires a small box but a big amp. And you get deep and "violent" deep bass ;-)
    4 to 5 cft will do.

BTW More reading from this forum on this same topic.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...2242H-vs-2245H

I expect GT=Greg Timbers ... see old 2245 sub article with electronic assistance.

Also, you can go shallower... as in the 4645 theater box, but might have to resort to curved port tubes.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Montreal View Post
    Probably the W15GTi... Requires a small box but a big amp. And you get deep and "violent" deep bass ;-)
    4 to 5 cft will do.

BTW More reading from this forum on this same topic.
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...2242H-vs-2245H

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I expect GT=Greg Timbers ... see old 2245 sub article with electronic assistance.

Also, you can go shallower... as in the 4645 theater box, but might have to resort to curved port tubes.

Thank you both again! Yes, both Greg Timbers and this particular woofer both seem to address the "GT" solution! I already have my woofers, both the 42HPLs and the 45Hs, so it's going to eventually be a couple of those... As stated, I do need to go shallower, but as far as curved ports are concerned, I am already "challenged" (read: LOST) by all of this... Thank you again, most sincerely

If you are limited to 18" deep, it is not a problem as long as you keep the same volume. Just increase height or width to compensate for the reduction in depth. As for the ducts' length, they could be straight and positioned horizontally or vertically.

Thread Information