Thread: chet, new member, need info on decade 36

creinys

chet, new member, need info on decade 36

This forum is very informative and I was hoping someone could tell me about the decade 36. The LE-10 foam was gone, needs reconing on both. What are the midrange and tweeter models? Appears to be 70's original vintage. Like the sound of the midrange and highs. Used mylar tape to support cones to get by and listen to them now. Paid 3 dollars for both at a senior center. thanks in advance, chet

creinys
    Quote Originally Posted by creinys
    This forum is very informative and I was hoping someone could tell me about the decade 36. The LE-10 foam was gone, needs reconing on both. What are the midrange and tweeter models? Appears to be 70's original vintage. Like the sound of the midrange and highs. Used mylar tape to support cones to get by and listen to them now. Paid 3 dollars for both at a senior center. thanks in advance, chet
    ps: worked for JBL at the LA Audio Show years ago.

Top of the 1974 Decade line here:

http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...974-decade.htm

Welcome aboard. So begins your journey....

creinys
    Thanks for the welcome, I don't know whether to take the 36's and fix them or get something like L100 or 43XX. Certainly need new foam rims on LE-10's.

Take care, Chet

Check out this thread if you are inclined toward DIY.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=469

If not you can take them to a JBL service center.

Widget

LE10's you paid $1.50 each for plus got mids, tweets, and cabinets for free?

A favorite woofer on the forum here, you BET they're worth fixin', especially if the cones and voice coils are still good.

Your local JBL reconer will likely install new surrounds for less than $50 the pair if you don't feel like you want to tackle it yourself.

You'll ALWAYS need a nice set of three-ways like that, somewhere....

Um, it shouldn't be LE10s in an L36 Decade... it should be 125As.

If it is the original 125A woofers, those are EASY to re-foam. Any competant repair shop should be able to handle those, no sweat. They use a "dimensionally standard" foam surround, like many other brands of woofers...

Regards,
    Gordon.

creinys
    Quote Originally Posted by Zilch
    LE10's you paid $1.50 each for plus got mids, tweets, and cabinets for free?

A favorite woofer on the forum here, you BET they're worth fixin', especially if the cones and voice coils are still good.

Your local JBL reconer will likely install new surrounds for less than $50 the pair if you don't feel like you want to tackle it yourself.

You'll ALWAYS need a nice set of three-ways like that, somewhere....
    Thanks for the advice, I am using them now but will get the new foam. The paper is black, does that mean they had the cones replaced once already?
    I'm guessing they have LE-25 or 20 mids, LE-5 highs. Mid and high sound good, could not find decade 36 in library, wonder why. Thanks Zilch, chet

Obsolete
    could not find decade 36 in library, wonder why.
    http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/...974-decade.htm

creinys
    Thanks for the advice, I am using them now but will get the new foam. The paper is black, does that mean they had the cones replaced once already?
    I'm guessing they have LE-25 or 20 mids, LE-5 highs. Mid and high sound good, could not find decade 36 in library, wonder why. Thanks Zilch, chet
    ps: they were 350 dollars/pair new in 1970.

creinys
    Quote Originally Posted by GordonW
    Um, it shouldn't be LE10s in an L36 Decade... it should be 125As.

If it is the original 125A woofers, those are EASY to re-foam. Any competant repair shop should be able to handle those, no sweat. They use a "dimensionally standard" foam surround, like many other brands of woofers...

Regards,
    Gordon.
    Gordon, you are probably right, I was guessing at the LE-10. 125A it is, has black cone and foam is gone. Thanks for the tip. Chet

transducergeek

L36's unhearalded sleepers.

Gordon, you are probably right, I was guessing at the LE-10. 125A it is, has black cone and foam is gone. Thanks for the tip. Chet
    Yes, I did a surround job on a pair of L36's a few months ago. A piece of moist, tasty cake.
    Original has black paper cone, AlniCo mags. This system is under-recognized, and not persued by collectors. So, for the money you can often get them for, they represent a high value in sound. I have some surrounds for these 10" units, and will sell them for $10/pair.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Thread Information