Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best compact enclosure for these Altec Components

Well guys sorry for the run around but its seems that i'll have to settle for a Valencia Enclosure that's ported.
    Next step is to bother you guys with what crossover tweaks it should have.
    Thanks a lot!

Seems TAD speakers have been making a sort of lengthened Valencia back in the 80s hahahaha!

http://audio-database.com/PIONEER-EX...del2402-e.html

Quote Originally Posted by Stampants View Post
    Well guys sorry for the run around but its seems that i'll have to settle for a Valencia Enclosure that's ported.
    Next step is to bother you guys with what crossover it should have.
    Thanks a lot!
    If you change out the 16 ohm diaphragms ( for the 8 ohm model ) in your 802's, you can use this N1201-8a network ( GPA sells these diaphragms ) .

I'm not aware of any stock Altec networks that work properly when matching an 8 ohm woofer to a 16 ohm HF driver .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    If you change out the 16 ohm diaphragms ( for the 8 ohm model ) in your 802's, you can use this N1201-8a network ( GPA sells these diaphragms ) .

I'm not aware of any stock Altec networks that work properly when matching an 8 ohm woofer to a 16 ohm HF driver .

Hmmm... this is the crossover that comes with it...

Name:  Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 1.49.22 PM.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  22.3 KB

Update on WAF!!

My wife doesn't seem to mind putting the horns atop a box just as long as the cab is finished nicely! Yey!

This is just probably me chasing the rats inside my head, but I just read about Onkens.

What's the smallest Onken size the 416's can bear (have my eyes set on the Petite Onkens)

Again, Thanks guys and I'm really sorry for the persistent questions and finicky train of thought, just want input so I can have a complete picture of my options.

Many Thanks!

Your Onken question is un-answerable since nobody ( that I'm aware of ) really knows how to properly model that sort of enclosure .

The challenge is; once the Onkens thick felt divider is hanging in place, the box stops being a typical bass reflex .

I suspect that the effective Qts of the woofer goes up, accompanied by a small drop in effective Fs ( but don't really have proof ).

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Your Onken question is un-answerable since nobody ( that I'm aware of ) really knows how to properly model that sort of enclosure .

The challenge is; once the Onkens thick felt divider is hanging in place, the box stops being a typical bass reflex .

I suspect that the effective Qts of the woofer goes up, accompanied by a small drop in effective Fs ( but don't really have proof ).

Hahahaha... Touche... Thanks buddy for actively indulging me!

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Stampants View Post
    Update on WAF!!

My wife doesn't seem to mind putting the horns atop a box just as long as the cab is finished nicely! Yey!

This is just probably me chasing the rats inside my head, but I just read about Onkens.

What's the smallest Onken size the 416's can bear (have my eyes set on the Petite Onkens)

Again, Thanks guys and I'm really sorry for the persistent questions and finicky train of thought, just want input so I can have a complete picture of my options.

Many Thanks!
    Well, you have wide-open approval on your cabinet design. (Better get that in writing! )

Regarding the Onken, there are a bunch of them out there using the 416. Do a search and you will find many, many beautiful results - and lots of disappointment about bass response. Of course, it's all a matter of personal preferences, but I do enjoy more-excellent-than-usual bass presence with a nice bump "right there." The Onkens, apparently, don't do that, and are known for flat delivery with a very smooth roll off. Lots of people like that. If you are one of them, you probably will, too.

Edit: If you want to really make those 511s pop, have them bead-blasted (cheap) and repaint them in Altec Hammertone Green. (Before repainting them, it's also a good time to clean up the welding slag on the fins - if you have any.)

GeeDeeEmm

Thread Information