Thread: L300 Grill Peg removal....Suggestions?

Lightbulb L300 Grill Peg removal....Suggestions?

Hi guys,

I recently had 1-peg from my L300's snap and need to replace. I have sourced a replacement but before I try to remove the damaged peg, does anyone have any experience in this area? Is the peg pressure fitted or glued?......how hard to remove?...etc.

thanks a million,

Tom

"Sign-Shop" on eBay (also a member here) shows an extractor tool. AFAIK, they are simply pushed in. Never had one beak in my over-thirty-years of having them on various JBLs, so I don't have personal experience.

Maybe try drilling a small hole and inserting a screw to use to pull it out?

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Maybe try drilling a small hole and inserting a screw to use to pull it out?
    that has always worked for me. (add pliers to pull screw top)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Yea...I'm going to try to pull it out with the screw method. I ordered a replacement peg and will update how it comes out. I just don't want to mess up the black facing surrounding the peg......My L300's look like new.....will have to be careful.

thanks

Thumbs up

Repaired successfully......I luckily had 1 of the tabs left on the peg to grip and pull with pliers. It's in there good but with a little muscle, pulls out. It is simply a snug friction fit. The replacement pin from sign-shop on ebay is a perfect replacement. Exact color and size.

The extractor tool is designed for damaged screws and requires that you bore a new grip into the screw with one end and than reverse the bit to extract with a drill..........you would not want to rotate this peg as it would no doubt cause damage to the baffle. If I did not have the tab available for gripping, the "screw and pull method" would be the correct route.

Thanks!

Job well done. Thanks for the update.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I've used the easy out by Alden (Grab-it trade name) which is what Sign-shop sells. Drill a small pilot hole in the center of the damaged peg, then use the extractor side to drill into and grab the peg, which will then spin out, assuming no-one has glued it in - easy peasy and as long as you have a steady hand, and protect the baffle with some tape layers, no damage to be done. I pulled probably a dozen pegs on L300's, L100's, and other JBL speakers this way easily.

A side benefit is the Grab-Its are a very useful tool when you really need it.

When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by T.Rex View Post
    Yea...I'm going to try to pull it out with the screw method. I ordered a replacement peg and will update how it comes out. I just don't want to mess up the black facing surrounding the peg......My L300's look like new.....will have to be careful.

thanks
    Wondering, where did you order the replacement peg, and are you satisfied with the quality? Thanks!
    Currently: L300, C40 Harkness (030 Load), 4301B

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Law View Post
    Wondering, where did you order the replacement peg, and are you satisfied with the quality? Thanks!
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-L100-L3...1nL:rk:29:pf:0

These are identical to the original and actually stronger....they fit perfectly. I actually had 1 "ear " left on the original that I was able to use pliers to wiggle and remove. The pegs actually are just pressure fitted.

thanks,

Tom

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-L100-L3...1nL:rk:29:pf:0

These are identical to the original an actually stronger....they fit perfectly. I actually had 1 "ear " left on the original that I was able to use pliers to wiggle and remove. The pegs actually are just pressure fitted.

thanks,

Tom
    Thanks! Are they close enough to the originals that it won't look strange if I only replace my broken ones?

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Law View Post
    Thanks! Are they close enough to the originals that it won't look strange if I only replace my broken ones?
    I only replaced 1 that was damaged and they match perfectly with the other 3 original pegs.

I only replaced 1 that was damaged and they match perfectly with the other 3 original pegs.
    Wonderful, thank you.

Thread Information