Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Crown Amps?

Well I have a brand new CE 1000 on the way. Christ, $404 shipped. I have not bought a New amplifer in about 30 years, this will be fun! I mean nothing has to be cleaned, replaced, checked, oh wow! I will let you know how it sounds soon. Thanks Scotty...and all!

dieterj

crown

Now, i'm driving my sub(2245) with one K1 briged, and be very happy with this combi. I agree with other members, the K-Serie is very good for Bass,
    but on the mid/highs on my 250ti, i prefer the Studio Reference.

The StudioRef is damn good on Bass alone - higher Dampingfactor

I have driven a 2245H in a large enclosure with one side of a DC300A for several years (before upgrading to a K2 driving a pair of SUB1500s ), it was fine. I have had the DC300A since 1982, gotta love Crown. I just picked up four Crown C8 speakers (along with a quad Sansui reciever, quad Sansui R to R and United Audio table all in excellent condition, all for $100 from my wife for Christmas) and am installing them in my garage for similar levels of overkill as the house. The sub1500s really needed the K2, the DC300A was crying for mercy. The 2245H sure was efficient but big.

Hello
    Don't for get the Crown CE 4000 it's different amp all together
    then the CE 1000 and 2000's. It more of what the K series of amps
    are only with a cooling fan and more output power.
    If a fan is not a problem QSC makes great amps in various power
    levels and configurations.
    As has been said AB makes good amps, a lot of their products are OEM
    for other companies.
    My home system is powered with a Hafler DH200 I built from a kit
    about 23 years ago!

In my live sound production systems I use the Crown MA3600vz's on the
    low end and QSC PL230's and PL218's for mids and highs.

Mike Caldwell

Crown I-Tech

I heard the new I Tech series at a club which just got a brand new system, all JBL.

Without a doubt the I Techs are the most powerful amps I have ever heard! One I 4000 could run 4 sub1500,s and youd feel them a block away!

In the amp room the racks have 23 crown amps, 22 of them I Tech, and 1 lonely CTs running four tweeter arrays! With the rooms lights off, the I Techs LCD displays look O, so cool!

I have been listening to many techs and sound contractors say they dont like these amps, and to some degree they might be right, I didnt like them on mids, but on the bottom, they KICK! This is the future!

Right now, the models offered are too powerful for me, but supposedly, they are coming out with an I Tech 2000.

But, the power of this series is incredible!

scottyj

I wonder if Crown will come out with an amp that has the I Tech guts but without all of the front end DSP processing for those who do not want pay for something that could go unused.
    Just a thought

Mike Caldwell

Crown says..........

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Caldwell
    I wonder if Crown will come out with an amp that has the I Tech guts but without all of the front end DSP processing for those who do not want pay for something that could go unused.
    Just a thought

Mike Caldwell
    Crown says no, that the DSP is part of the amps circuitry! However, they do say you can go into the analog inputs, and basically use the amp as a traditional amp!

For me, many of the features arent neccessary, but the amp does kick! And if you wanted you could do a multitude of things with the amp, limit output voltage, have back up DSP processing, whatever you can think of almost!

I, too, wasnt keen on these amps, and all their digital technology. Then I heard them! Dont like em for mids and things like that, but man, the amp makes subs KICK BIG!

On another forum, they say the CE 4000, with its BCA and switching power supply technology is basically an I Tech without the DSP processing and PFC of the I Tech! I dont know, so I cant really say!

I have to admit, though, I am impressed by the way these things drove subs! Ill probably be getting an I Tech 4000 to run my J Horns!

I also have to say that to date I have always been an extremely anti-digital person, but some of the things they are doing with certain technologies is amazing! I am going to use the new technology! Supposedly, an I Tec 2000 or 3000 is in the works!

What can I say? The Fv#&in bass kicks!

scottyj

All this is great if you need [want?] a Crown 4000 or other high end Crown amp. I happen to be a [financial] bottom feeder on this site. My 4343's are nasty gray, amps are in a K-Mart "wood grain" pressboard kit. All my cables are from Tom at AuralThrills, he cuts me deals 'cause he feels sorry for my British motorcycle habit. [read all the posts about high $ speaker cables, but IMO upgrade inter conects over stock is easy to hear] I have bought [and sold] several McIntosh, Carver, and Crown thanks to eBay over the last 4 years, and after growing up on the Crowns the Mc's sounded, well, not quite so, well, HARSH. BRIGHT. NASTY! The carvers [as we all now know] are junk. Very fragile, like the Phase Lin stuff [sorry for you young guys] of the past. Anyway my Brand New 250 plus a side Crown non stereophile industrial 400 debateable damping factor CE 1000 will very soon be powering the 15" lows in MY BiAmp System! Thanks to all for your thoughts on my choice, I might hate it and buy an ugly Mc, But... I will let you know! Thanks Again!

transducergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don
    Well I have a brand new CE 1000 on the way. Christ, $404 shipped. I have not bought a New amplifer in about 30 years, this will be fun! I mean nothing has to be cleaned, replaced, checked, oh wow! I will let you know how it sounds soon. Thanks Scotty...and all!
    I am looking forward to your posting the results. I have been tempted to purchase one of those model Crowns also due to the incredible cost now. I can finally afford a NEW crown. I have a D 150A 2. all cleaned up now and I adjusted the DC offset which was way off, pushing my junky old test woofer (not a JBL!) out and staying there!... That's the used market for 'ya. Where are thay selling them for $404? I see 'em for about $30 more..

hi Don

Quote Originally Posted by Triumph Don
    All this is great if you need [want?] a Crown 4000 or other high end Crown amp. I happen to be a [financial] bottom feeder on this site. My 4343's are nasty gray, amps are in a K-Mart "wood grain" pressboard kit. All my cables are from Tom at AuralThrills, he cuts me deals 'cause he feels sorry for my British motorcycle habit. [read all the posts about high $ speaker cables, but IMO upgrade inter conects over stock is easy to hear] I have bought [and sold] several McIntosh, Carver, and Crown thanks to eBay over the last 4 years, and after growing up on the Crowns the Mc's sounded, well, not quite so, well, HARSH. BRIGHT. NASTY! The carvers [as we all now know] are junk. Very fragile, like the Phase Lin stuff [sorry for you young guys] of the past. Anyway my Brand New 250 plus a side Crown non stereophile industrial 400 debateable damping factor CE 1000 will very soon be powering the 15" lows in MY BiAmp System! Thanks to all for your thoughts on my choice, I might hate it and buy an ugly Mc, But... I will let you know! Thanks Again!
    I wasnt putting the CE amps down, they are Crowns affordable entry level amps. They work, and perform well sonically, just that they arent the most rugged of their amps! For low end I think youll like it, the bass is tight and solid! In your application, home hi fi, I dont think reliability, or a road worthy chassis to the utmost is going to be a concern! The CE,s sound good, and of course, the prices are reasonable!

I just got off on a Crown tangent, and started talking Crown amps!
    scottyj

Thread Information