Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bad Crown Amps?

Bad Crown Amps?

I remember a while back a member had problems/negative comments on the Crown CE series amps. I am looking at a CE 1000 or 2000. Any thoughts, experiences, opinions?

Crown

I have used the old D series crowns but none of the ce's. Crown has had a great rep over the years. I would stick with the studio series however. The Reference series or K series. These are designed specificly for Hi-Fi or Studio use. I would love some K1 or K2's. Unfortunately, my system requires far to many amps to go that route at this time. I have been very happy with AB International amps to date. Haflers are great too.

For the record. I think others would agree here that there are plenty of decent amps around. Crate, AB, QSC etc.

Just my 2 cents. Others may disagree.

CE Series

Basically, these are crowns affordable amps. They sound good, my service techs say they are designed using the some of the circuit topologies of the DC-300,s, but with more protection, surface mount technology components, and of course, unlike the DC-300 they are not direct coupled.

To me they sound good, nice, solid, tight Crown bass, but many I know say they dont hold up under hard use! They have clip limiters, but they tell me if you push them too hard they fizzle on you! Sound contractors I know, who i have asked about these amps, all tell me they are good for mids, but not heavy duty enough for demanding LF use.

If they should break, and Ive seen them in the techs shop, they are difficult to work on, thanks to the tiny surface mount componentry.

Of course, this refers to commercial use of the amps, you might be OK, using them in a home installation, but they do have fans!

If you do decide to use these, they are available with either binding posts, or speakon output connections, I would make sure you specify what you want! I would also try to get one and audition it, and see what you think.

You can get a Crown CE-1000 brand new for around $495, as compared to other crown lines that are considerably more expensive for the same amount of power! So you gotta take this into account!

What type of application do you want to use them for and which model are you looking at!
    scottyj

Btw!

Don how much power are you looking for? Another possibility is to PM Yuri, and buy a PSS Audio amplifier!

They sound really good, they are most definitely rock solid reliable, I ran it in my place, it dont quit!

Right now my PSS 1200 is on tour, going from RobH to Giskard, you might want to get on the audition list and try this baby out!
    scottyj

This is for the bottom end of a bi amp project with my 4343's. McIntosh 2125 on top. Bought a Crown PS 2 from a member that has developed some serious hums. As soon as my cables arrive, I will first try my old DC 300 with an old JBL 5234 crossover. The CE 1000 seems like a good fit, and it's new!

pelly3s
    I would spend the extra money for a k1 or k2 for your lows. I sell Crown and QSC amps and it's pretty much all I ever use. You could also look into Stewart amps or even the ART SLA-2 if you wanna save some money.

Alex Lancaster
    You get what You pay for; For Hi Fi, use K1/2īs or better, for commercial applications the CEīs etc should be OK; Iīve been abusing a K2 for over a year, driving 4 2245Hīs, with no problems.

Pelly

Quote Originally Posted by pelly3s
    I would spend the extra money for a k1 or k2 for your lows. I sell Crown and QSC amps and it's pretty much all I ever use. You could also look into Stewart amps or even the ART SLA-2 if you wanna save some money.
    How do you rate the K2 against the macro tech 2402? Sonically, and reliability, fan noise is no concern of mine!

I heard the new I Techs the other day, they sound different, they are powerful, and seem clean, but a different sound character than Im used to hearing!
    scottyj

SteveW

K-series street prices...

FYI guys.......no affill

New K1's currently sell for $1000.00 (my local store). Just today I saw K2's for $1250.00 via Platinum Records (google search)

Ebay K1's have been selling around $500-600, K2's $750.00

I can get a brand new CE 1000 for $404, shipped and no tax. How different do you all think it will sound just powering the woofers in the 4343's?

Well all I can say is I use Crowns all around so I like them. I have not used the CE series. I have the older D 150 Series 2's that I use a pair of strapped to power my 4344 bottoms and they are just fine. Bass as solid as a rock. Can you return it??? Give it a listen and see what you think. You won't know till you do.

Rob

K1 and K2

I must admit I have never auditioned these amps although I have heard they are a terrific amp for bottom end applications. I always like the sound of a DC-300A on the bottom end but found the mids and highs a bit harsh. IMHO Mosfet Haflers are damned nice on the high side. I don't own any haflers anymore but used to have a stable full of them.

Have any of you tried AB International's Amps? I am always amazed that these have very little press but a very strong cult following. I am quite happy with the many I have. Also, they can be had for a very good price on Ebay. I am currently switching out a few 600A's and a 400 to AB 280A's to conserve some rack space. They have a great bottom end and a smooth midrange as well.

Ken

Amps!

Crowns make good sounding bass, they always did! The CE series will work, is good sounding bottom, and cleaner than a 300 into mids!

I love DC-300,s for bass, but, they are kind of grungy sounding in the high frequencies, and of course, if you need lots of power, you need two 300,s in bridge mono, they do sound great on subwoofers, 1 amp, 8 ohms bridge connected to one 18in sub! Direct coupled has a sound on the bottom!

AB amps, very good, very affordable, very reliable, good bass, and clean mids and highs!

K sereis! My neighbor uses this! makes a nice sounding bass, I dont care for the way they sound into the mids and highs, and my neighbor has them running full range! hes been using it for about two to 3 years now, no troubles, so they are reliable!
    scottyj

I too am using a DC300A. It's bridged mono driving a single Sub1500. Sounds great!
    David

Quote Originally Posted by scott fitlin

AB amps, very good, very affordable, very reliable, good bass, and clean mids and highs!
    Nice to see someone else endorse these amps!

Ken

Thread Information