Thread: 2344 with 2" drivers

2344 with 2" drivers

Might try the 2440 on a pair of 2344 is there an adapter?
    Von Schweikert VR-8
    Canary Ref. 1 300B monoblocks. 300Bx16

None that I know of.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Sure....Find a 1" to 2" adapter and turn it around. JBL 2327
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Sure....Find a 1" to 2" adapter and turn it around. JBL 2327
    Well, maybe. According to the published JBL literature using the 2327 in this manner will reduce the HF output. I imagine it will also affect the dispersion characteristics of the bi-radial horn somewhat as well.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Well, maybe. According to the published JBL literature using the 2327 in this manner will reduce the HF output. I imagine it will also affect the dispersion characteristics of the bi-radial horn somewhat as well.

Widget
    Well...He asked if there was an adapter. Clearly the answer is yes. If he wants extended HF response, he can always integrate the smaller cleavage of a 2404H(-1) either above or between the LF and 2440.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
    Everybody is carefully not observing the elephant in the room--I mean, why do that? I would venture that just about any horn made for a 2" throat driver would give better results, and if you have 2344's there are a lot of those 2" horns which will cost less than you could get for the 2344's--you'd be cash in hand. If you want that kind of horn, there is the 2360, which at various times and places are virtually or literally being given away.

If you read the literature on the 4430/4435 you will see that the design is the product of the careful balancing of woofer sensitivity, CD sensitivity, inherent roll off of a CD into the HF, and the necessary cutting away of the midrange part of the CD response to compensate for the horn response. This problem will be exacerbated by the use of a 2" driver, whose HF will drop off earlier than a 1" driver, and if Widget is right (he usually is) the additional HF cost of using the 2327 that way must also be considered.

To me it looks like multiple bad ideas rolled into one.

You can do what you want, of course. I'm just asking, "Why?" and suggesting maybe thinking things through and avoiding some headaches and disappointment.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

[QUOTE=speakerdave;405645]Everybody is carefully not observing the elephant in the room--I mean, why do that? I would venture that just about any horn made for a 2" throat driver would give better results, and if you have 2344's there are a lot of those 2" horns which will cost less than you could get for the 2344's--you'd be cash in hand. If you want that kind of horn, there is the 2360, which at various times and places are virtually or literally being given away.

If you read the literature on the 4430/4435 you will see that the design is the product of the careful balancing of woofer sensitivity, CD sensitivity, inherent roll off of a CD into the HF, and the necessary cutting away of the midrange part of the CD response to compensate for the horn response. This problem will be exacerbated by the use of a 2" driver, whose HF will drop off earlier than a 1" driver, and if Widget is right (he usually is) the additional HF cost of using the 2327 that way must also be considered.

To me it looks like multiple bad ideas rolled into one.

You can do what you want, of course. I'm just asking, "Why?" and suggesting maybe thinking things through and avoiding some headaches and disappointment.[/QUOTE

Thanks for the replies. Here is what i have now http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-PRO-TWO-...p2047675.l2557. I like them. Basically a nightmare as far as linearity. This guy has piggybacked crossovers to add the tweeters and used (4) different crossovers 3110 3115 3106 3105.
    Just getting Ideas, Ive owned the 4430 and 4350 I know the options, I really dont like the Hartsfield ( or need) longer throw...
    I have New updated L300 crossovers here i an swapping in, if i like those am going to build proper xovers following the Pass design
    Von Schweikert VR-8

If you want to test drive a pair of 2360's let me know. I'm in your town.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    If you want to test drive a pair of 2360's let me know. I'm in your town.

Barry.
    Yes that would very much be appreciated, Lets work something out
    Von Schweikert VR-8

UpDate NELSON PASS CROOSOVER

I pry should Start Another thread but im going to mention that on 1 speaker I swapped in that New Nelson Pass Crossover Design For the L-300. The cheap version availe on Ebay.
    Day And Night difference. THANK YOU NELSON PASS
    Von Schweikert VR-8

Thread Information