Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Altec Valencia b port size

Question Altec Valencia b port size

Hi there, can anyone tell me the diameter, and length of the stock ports on a Altec Valencia B series? Thanks!
    Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyL View Post
    Hi there, can anyone tell me the diameter, and length of the stock ports on a Altec Valencia B series? Thanks!
    Darcy
    4" dia, 6" long.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryans12v View Post
    4" dia, 6" long.
    Great! Thanks!
    Darcy

You have me curious now, Darcy. Are you building some Valencia cabs?

GeeDeeEmm

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    You have me curious now, Darcy. Are you building some Valencia cabs?

GeeDeeEmm
    No, I have a pair of Santigo's that the previous owner put 416 woofers in, so, will try Valencia ports in them as the rest of the components are the same, and box volume is very close-

Hi Darcy

1 Welcome to the club. You'll like it here

2 Why would any one exchange the 411 for the 416?? Maybe it was the 413, but still......

Have fun

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    Hi Darcy

1 Welcome to the club. You'll like it here

2 Why would any one exchange the 411 for the 416?? Maybe it was the 413, but still......

Have fun

Ed
    Well, I don't know why the previous owner swapped the woofers to 416's, but it is what I have to work with- and as the compression drivers, horns and dividing networks are the same as a Valencia, and the box size is really close, I thought I'd try putting Valencia B ports in the baffles, and have some wannabe Valencias?

What you will have are pretty much 846b's except.......after the crossover there will be an EQ/attenuator device, probably the 30904. Unless of course the previous owner removed it. It's purpose (if you don't know) was to extend the highs and pad down or reduce the midrange between 800 Hz and 6 or 8 k if I remember right. If it were me I'd leave it in the circuit as it does aid the high frequency performance and the overall fidelity of your speaker, which will be pretty much flat from around 40hz to around 16-18kHz or so. You can experiment and see which way you like it. As a classical music listener I preferred the sound with it in.

These were very good speakers in their day and still are very good.

Have fun Kill Zombies - drink beer

ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Great! thanks for the info!!
    Darcy

Ed,

Won't the 30904 circuit have the Zobel network in it, too? I wonder what effect the Zobel will have on the 416, since it was designed for the 411/413?

Of course, that's assuming that the previous owner left the original crossover in place.

Darcy, do you know which crossover is in place?

GeeDeeEmm

Good Point GDM.
    There were two EQ/Attenuator circuits one with the zobel and one without, I don't think think 04 had it. (The other one, 30923, was for use with the 770 bi-amp). Whoops! I had it backwards. The 04 has it, but you can skip the LF section and go directly to the 416 from the crossover. I've done it with good results.

There will be reduced output from the HF section but this can be made up by turning up the shelving control on the crossover, as the 806 is more sensitive than the 416.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Ok, great advice, I'll have to open them up, and see if the 30904 is still in there-

Darcy

Ok, the 30904 is in there, and i bypassed the zobel for the woofer- If I did my box volume calculations right, with 2, 4" dia. x 6" long ports, the cabinet should be tuned down to 40hz- If I put longer ports in, and tune to say 35hz, will I see any improvement in low bass, or should I just stick with the stock port length?
    Darcy

Quote Originally Posted by DarcyL View Post
    Ok, the 30904 is in there, and i bypassed the zobel for the woofer- If I did my box volume calculations right, with 2, 4" dia. x 6" long ports, the cabinet should be tuned down to 40hz- If I put longer ports in, and tune to say 35hz, will I see any improvement in low bass, or should I just stick with the stock port length?
    Darcy
    Also, are the woofer and compression driver supposed to be wired in phase, or out of phase after the crossover? I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that if the woofer and 811 horn are mounted on the same plane, with a 12db crossover, that they should be wired out of phase at the speaker terminals?

Good morning Darcy

Which version of the 416 do you have ? Also what kind of music do you listen to? According to winISD the difference will be marginal with either the 416-8b, or the 8c. Both will reproduce down to about 40Hz. if you want to go into the very low bass frequencies you will need a sub woofer. You may like it just as it is, and depending on the room, the bass may increase as it goes down. As you know the room makes a huge difference.
    As to phasing , go to the library section of this site, find the Altec 1974 enclosure manual and on pg 14 you'll find a chart showing you how to wire your box.

I hope this helps.

Ed
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thread Information