Thread: JBL L166 horizon rebuild help

Talking JBL L166 horizon rebuild help

Hello all, this is my first time posting on the forums I am here to just get an idea on what to do to improve my l166 Horizons left mid-range. on the left channel does not work I've tried cleaning the l-pad I even took the cap off (which hurt me inside) I'm about to put the right channel mid-range into the left to see if I just bought a bad midrange off eBay (don't have a volt meter). I got this pair of l166's as a gift, gifted to me by my future father-in-law for Christmas the left mid-range stopped working some time ago I'm not entirely sure if it was even working when I got them, my memory is failing me but his son had replaced the woofers with JBL loud car woofers so I bought some 128h Wilfred off of eBay and put those in. It's a night-and-day difference, but Im curious as to whether or not the 122a wolfers are better.(or how they differ from the 122a's) I'm not necessarily looking for an all-original build but if I could use all original JBL parts from back in that time period to make the best floor standing speakers to my ears, that would be wonderful. Any response is greatly appreciated. I also am wondering if the le5 - 5 out of the gerbils would be an upgrade in the sense of sound for the mid-range. Sorry if I am bringing pain to the Grandmasters who like them all original. I'm just trying to figure out what I like. Thanks again everyone
    ,Mike

Hi Mike,
    Yeah I would start off by swapping the mids from the right/working speaker & go from there. If it is a faulty mid try to find a replacement on ebay. The Le5-5 might work since it was in the L-65s which also used the 122a so?! Some more technically minded members would probably know better but to quote Bo - "not all Le5s are created equal" hopefully they'll chime in .

As for the woofers I can only say that the original 122a sound fine to me, I cant comment on the Wilfreds but I can only speculate that the system would probably sound better with the components that were originally intended for it.
    I've sold off many of my JBLs but I still have my set and I am very fond of them and wont be selling them any time soon (they've also appreciated quite nicely), there are others here who also think highly of the 166s.
    They are a fantastic speaker and are worth the time & effort (get yourself a volt meter, its good to have).

swap out that mid & see what happens. Don't forget to have fun along the way.

Enjoy!
    Just Play Music.

Quote Originally Posted by Krunchy View Post
    Hi Mike,
    Yeah I would start off by swapping the mids from the right/working speaker & go from there. If it is a faulty mid try to find a replacement on ebay. The Le5-5 might work since it was in the L-65s which also used the 122a so?! Some more technically minded members would probably know better but to quote Bo - "not all Le5s are created equal" hopefully they'll chime in .

As for the woofers I can only say that the original 122a sound fine to me, I cant comment on the Wilfreds but I can only speculate that the system would probably sound better with the components that were originally intended for it.
    I've sold off many of my JBLs but I still have my set and I am very fond of them and wont be selling them any time soon (they've also appreciated quite nicely), there are others here who also think highly of the 166s.
    They are a fantastic speaker and are worth the time & effort (get yourself a volt meter, its good to have).

swap out that mid & see what happens. Don't forget to have fun along the way.

Enjoy!
    Hi Krunchy
    He already has this going
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...to-L-110/page3

I cant comment on the Wilfreds
    Seen this twice now-what is a "Wilfred"
    Thanks

Ah! Revived an old thread (thanks for the heads up Tony), cool.
    as for the wilfreds, based on the context I figured he was talking woofs

Quote Originally Posted by HorizonMike View Post
    Hello all, this is my first time posting on the forums I am here to just get an idea on what to do to improve my l166 Horizons left mid-range. on the left channel does not work I've tried cleaning the l-pad I even took the cap off (which hurt me inside) I'm about to put the right channel mid-range into the left to see if I just bought a bad midrange off eBay (don't have a volt meter). I got this pair of l166's as a gift, gifted to me by my future father-in-law for Christmas the left mid-range stopped working some time ago I'm not entirely sure if it was even working when I got them, my memory is failing me but his son had replaced the woofers with JBL loud car woofers so I bought some 128h Wilfred off of eBay and put those in. It's a night-and-day difference, but Im curious as to whether or not the 122a wolfers are better.(or how they differ from the 122a's) I'm not necessarily looking for an all-original build but if I could use all original JBL parts from back in that time period to make the best floor standing speakers to my ears, that would be wonderful. Any response is greatly appreciated. I also am wondering if the le5 - 5 out of the gerbils would be an upgrade in the sense of sound for the mid-range. Sorry if I am bringing pain to the Grandmasters who like them all original. I'm just trying to figure out what I like. Thanks again everyone
    ,Mike
    Just Play Music.

Ah! Revived an old thread (thanks for the heads up Tony), cool.
    as for the wilfreds, based on the context I figured he was talking woofs
    Pretty sure it is a reference to some woofers
    I was just wondering what a "Wilfred" was
    Quote Originally Posted by HorizonMike View Post
    I bought some 128h Wilfred off of eBay and put those in...............I also am wondering if the le5 - 5 out of the gerbils would be an upgrade in the sense of sound for the mid-range.
    That and "gerbils" as well?
    Something weird with spell check?
    The common error "wolfers" does appear once-but how did we get to "Wilfred"?
    Weird

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sullivan View Post
    Pretty sure it is a reference to some woofers
    I was just wondering what a "Wilfred" was

That and "gerbils" as well?
    Something weird with spell check?
    The common error "wolfers" does appear once-but how did we get to "Wilfred"?
    Weird
    Yeah, the Gerbils kind of threw me for a loop too, I just let that one go.
    Wilfreds, maybe a super woofer that's been kept secret/sleeper.

Ejoy the weekend!
    Just Play Music.

Yeah, the Gerbils kind of threw me for a loop too, I just let that one go.
    Wilfreds, maybe a super woofer that's been kept secret/sleeper.

Ejoy the weekend!
    For a moment I thought maybe he meant to say it was a pair of 12" Watkins that he had purchased for his boxes until I considered what their enormous price tag would be
    You enjoy yours as well

HorizonMike, any of the following would work in the L166: LE5-6, LE5-8, LE5-10 or LE5-12. LE5-8 and LE5-12 have the bright brushed aluminum frame. I may have a spare LE5-10, it may not be perfect but it should work. I work in Lacey or Tumwater, so I am in your neck of the woods usually 4 days a week.

Larry

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    HorizonMike, any of the following would work in the L166: LE5-6, LE5-8, LE5-10 or LE5-12. LE5-8 and LE5-12 have the bright brushed aluminum frame. I may have a spare LE5-10, it may not be perfect but it should work. I work in Lacey or Tumwater, so I am in your neck of the woods usually 4 days a week.

Larry
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sullivan View Post
    LE5-6 - LE5-8 - LE5-10 and LE5-12 are all correct for the L166
    Only the frame colors will be different - some silver, some black and maybe the terminals
    I don't have one of each all in front of me right now
    Hi Larry
    He doesn't need a mid, he has an open circuit in his network
    From this one:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...to-L-110/page3
    I really with moderation would merge these two

Thread Information