Thread: Altec 414Z 2-way Box Volume Question...

Altec 414Z 2-way Box Volume Question...

Hey speaker building gurus. I was planning to replicate the infamous JE Labs Altec 414 2-way speakers written about here...

http://jelabs.blogspot.com/2014/01/a...tem-redux.html

-and here-

http://jelabs.blogspot.com/2014/01/a...xo-update.html

I planned to build (or commission) a pair of 614 boxes for my 414's, but I just acquired a set of Altec Flemincos which I pulled the components out of but then I thought about repurposing the boxes. The internal dimensions are 24" wide x 26" tall x 14.5" deep. I'm not great at the maths, but I believe this puts the box volume at about 5.25cu/ft.

Altec 614's are about 3.2cu/ft. Altec 612's are about 6.6cu/ft.

If I build a new front baffle for my 414's will they work well in these boxes in a 2-way? What kind of port do I need. I am not super technical. I just someone to spell it out for me. I'm a graphic designer - drawings and sketches are always appreciated.

I want to run the 414's full range and then bring the horn in using his crossover detailed in the second linked article. I have several horn and driver combos to play with including Altec 32's, 811's, Emilar EH800's. And I have 802A's and 806A's in 16ohm. My 414Z's are 16ohm as well of course.

Thanks for the help!

- Woody

Woody,

Can you take some pics of any numbers that you find on the backs ( of the paper cones belonging to your 414Z woofs ) and then post them here. Thanks!

In my opinion, ( re; box size ) you shouldn't use a woofer/box size alignment that yields a Qtc number any less than [ .5 ] and that "re-purposed" Flamenco box will ( I fear ) do just that ( ie; I think it's too large for your woofers ).
    - Going less than critically damped, would ultimately lead to compromised mid transients with looser bass than I like ( IME of course ) from a woofer with such a light cone and moving assembly ( MMD ).

To proceed properly, someone needs to measure a 414Z and get some accurate TS numbers ( & that someone should be you since you have the woofers and it's your project ) .

You can buy a little gizmo ( from Parts Express called . DATS V2 ) that'll do TS measurements for you.

Post the numbers here and we can proceed .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Woody,

Can you take some pics of any numbers that you find on the backs ( of the paper cones belonging to your 414Z woofs ) and then post them here. Thanks!

In my opinion, ( re; box size ) you shouldn't use a woofer/box size alignment that yields a Qtc number any less than [ .5 ] and that "re-purposed" Flamenco box will ( I fear ) do just that ( ie; I think it's too large for your woofers ).
    - Going less than critically damped, would ultimately lead to compromised mid transients with looser bass than I like ( IME of course ) from a woofer with such a light cone and moving assembly ( MMD ).

To proceed properly, someone needs to measure a 414Z and get some accurate TS numbers ( & that someone should be you since you have the woofers and it's your project ) .

You can buy a little gizmo ( from Parts Express called . DATS V2 ) that'll do TS measurements for you.

Post the numbers here and we can proceed .

I have read that the T/S Params vary a bit on 414s. Today I was looking them over pretty closely and I found a small 1/8" hole in the surround of one of them. I'm thinking about sending them to GPA for a recone and new surrounds and a remag etc...

i wonder if bill can measure the T/S specs for me before sending them back. I don't mind the $99 for the software and cord to do it myself... but I literally have 4 Mac computers and no PC and it looks like the software isn't Mac compatible. I'd have to buy a laptop just to use it.

- Woody

Thread Information