Thread: L220 Power: Macro Tech?

L220 Power: Macro Tech?

Just picked up some L220s. Long story short, the sound is fantastic. I am however, wondering if I am under powering them. I am currently running a JBL 6290 power amp. The sound is good but there is a fan. I've been intrigued by some of the more powerful Crown professional amps like the Macrotech 2400 or the even larger 3600vz. I would love to try out a macro reference or studio reference but from what I'm reading, I can get similar performance from the macro tech line for about half the price. Am I leaving anything on the table sticking with 300 W per channel? I know the macro line also has fans but if there is a sonic improvement to be had, I'd be up for a switch.

I ran mine for years with a Sansui G-9700 and thought it plenty. I don't recall, I think that was rated for around 200 wps.

58, as in B-58? Best looking plane in history.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post

58, as in B-58? Best looking plane in history.
    +1. Sexy as hell! (And with four J79s in full AB, takeoffs must've been loud as hell too!)

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I ran mine for years with a Sansui G-9700 and thought it plenty. I don't recall, I think that was rated for around 200 wps.
    Brochure says max recommended amplifier power 300wpc. Tech sheet says 400wpc. Often JBL recommends double that power for extra head-room. They also say 300 for the L150A and 450 for the L7. I run these with 200, though I have a Crown Studio Reference II I'll try on them someday when I have time and space: 355wpc at 8-ohms.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I've tried a Marco Tech amp and it doesn't sound bad at all, but the fan is seriously one of the loudest fans and it runs full speed all the time. They use a combination fan/transformer so there's no option to mod it and put in a quieter fan for home use.

AL

I'm looking for an excuse to throw 600+ watts at these guys. Not too many fan-free options at these levels. I'm dealing with a fan right now but if I stay at this power level, I'm looking at Bryston 4b's and Hafler 9505's but they don't come around that much. The Macro seems like a good value but I can't abide a louder fan than the 6290. The Studio Reference has to have a less offensive fan...
    And i crewed OH58D(I) scout attack helicopters(B58's are sexy as hell though)

Thread Information