Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WhIch JBL Drivers Horns Xovers and Woofers Would give you most musical DIY system?

WhIch JBL Drivers Horns Xovers and Woofers Would give you most musical DIY system?

need suggestion on the ultimate 16ohm Jbl components including crossovers to give you the most musical and most efficient jbl diy system possible and work together in synergy.

Hi Vinny;

You are really embarking on sound system design, so:

Music only?

How big is your listening space?

Critical listening distance?

How loud must the system play average and peak? In real numbers, dB SPL.

What is the required bandwidth? 40-16kHz is fairly easy, 16-24kHz, not so easy.

Degree of component obtainability?

Budget?

Does your skill set include cabinette making and electroacoustic test and measurement?

???

This may seem like a put off but like that cat in the tree answered Alice, if you don't know where you're going, it really doesn't matter which way you turn.

Many here can and will fill a sugestion list for you but your goals should first be defined.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by vinny View Post
    need suggestion on the ultimate 16ohm Jbl components including crossovers to give you the most musical and most efficient jbl diy system possible and work together in synergy.
    Hi vinny,

If talking about active 4-way system may can start from
    2269 + 2202 + 476Be + 2405,
    Or 2269 & 2216nd & 2251 & D2430K
    HORN ??? (M2, or PT-H95HF.....)
    Xover active Xilica XP4080

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Vinny;

You are really embarking on sound system design, so:

Music only?

How big is your listening space?

Critical listening distance?

How loud must the system play average and peak? In real numbers, dB SPL.

What is the required bandwidth? 40-16kHz is fairly easy, 16-24kHz, not so easy.

Degree of component obtainability?

Budget?

Does your skill set include cabinette making and electroacoustic test and measurement?

???

This may seem like a put off but like that cat in the tree answered Alice, if you don't know where you're going, it really doesn't matter which way you turn.

Many here can and will fill a sugestion list for you but your goals should first be defined.

All the best,
    Barry.
    Everything he said plus why 16 ohms and when you say ultimate, do you mean cost is no object?

Widget

Guessing old tube amps... but this is just audio bench racing as most "ultimate" JBL components are unobtainable and would further require many years of experience to assemble optimally ... assuming those "ultimate" components would even play nice together...

Diy Everest- E145 , 2426 on Everest horn , 2405

There is a diy renaissance of this venerable system

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Guessing old tube amps...
    That'd be my guess too, but then my idea of "ultimate" kinda goes out the window.

Then again, there are many ideas of "ultimate". Below are two very different ultimates, both in red.

Widget
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Diy Everest- E145 , 2426 on Everest horn , 2405

There is a diy renaissance of this venerable system
    Yes, and a specific enough topic to have a useful conversation about.
    Has there been more activity beyond the large-format driver horn being fashioned?
    (perhaps point me in a PM)

To me, musing about "most musical" and "ultimate" is like asking what spaghetti sauce is "best."
    So I'll bow out now.

edit: funny unintended connection between Ferrari and spaghetti...

Hi Grump,

I have not looked hard beyond chatter about this...
    My post was more about diy that actually delivers an outcome

The question was do open it needed a solution, not s shopping list

Why 16 ohms (if I may ask) ? The 2245 woofer was never produced in 16 ohms and it happens to be one of JBL's best creation. ;-)

I don't know what is your expertise, but there are so many ways to reach your goal.

Look at the components in this picture. This is good stuff you can use. That's a 4345 BTW ;-)

I think it's got to be a 100 Db sensitivity job as any k2 parts need massive horse power according to reviewer

I think this falls in Seve Schell's territory

It could be an Altec VOT

The only modem equivalent that my lovely wife would allow is a diy OMA Monarch

drivers like the E145 come to mind

A system with 100 db+ sensitivity would have plenty of snap!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    That'd be my guess too, but then my idea of "ultimate" kinda goes out the window.

Then again, there are many ideas of "ultimate". Below are two very different ultimates, both in red.

Widget

Sorry Widget to correct you, but I'm italian, and there is only one "ultimate" that can be defined as a Ferrari. Last twin turbo monster.

Name:  1987-ferrari-f40-37_800x0w.jpg
Views: 955
Size:  45.8 KB

Obiviously I'm just Kidding.

For me the question is another one, which kind of system did he listen in his life, which one likes best and how much he is willing to spend etc etc...

What does it mean "ultimate"..... in this hobby there is no ultimate. Today you like red, tommorw yellow, the day after....white........and not every time you have the same amount of money to spend!

Let's not complicate things...

Since the qualifiers are 16 ohms and efficient, the answer is pretty easy.

130A(2220) with LE85(2420) with Radian diaphragm/HL91 with custom crossover with Solen capacitors and aircore inductors crossed over assymetrically somewhere around 1800hz. Alnico Drivers rebuilt and recharged for full capability in a C50 style enclosure.

Very musical and fun to listen to. Drive it with at least 200 watts/channel if using solid state amp. Headroom is your friend.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Since the qualifiers are 16 ohms and efficient, the answer is pretty easy.

130A(2220) with LE85(2420) with Radian diaphragm/HL91 with custom crossover with Solen capacitors and aircore inductors crossed over assymetrically somewhere around 1800hz. Alnico Drivers rebuilt and recharged for full capability in a C50 style enclosure.

Very musical and fun to listen to. Drive it with at least 200 watts/channel if using solid state amp. Headroom is your friend.
    Since the Radian diaphragm is being recommended will a pair of 175s do just as well?
    Do you have or could you direct me to a schematic?
    Thank you very much

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sullivan View Post
    Since the Radian diaphragm is being recommended will a pair of 175s do just as well?
    Do you have or could you direct me to a schematic?
    Thank you very much
    You can use a 175, which this system did, as long as it's not an early narrow gap model. 2410/2421/2460/2470 will work as well with a new diaphragm. I didn't do anything to this pair of 175s in order to preserve the wax seals per the customer and they swept great. The LE85/2420/2421 is a stronger motor which will yield increased upper end reach.

Here's the basic circuit. I ended up tuning it by ear by adding an additional 10uf cap in series with C2 which yields 8uf...and added a mechanical 50 watt L-Pad. Seems it brought the hi pass up to ~1800 or so. I can't really explain what happened electrically in detail, it just sounded right.
    Name:  C50 network.jpg
Views: 830
Size:  60.4 KB
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

Thread Information