Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: WhIch JBL Drivers Horns Xovers and Woofers Would give you most musical DIY system?

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    You can use a 175, which this system did, as long as it's not an early narrow gap model. 2410/2421/2460/2470 will work as well with a new diaphragm. I didn't do anything to this pair of 175s in order to preserve the wax seals per the customer and they swept great. The LE85/2420/2421 is a stronger motor which will yield increased upper end reach.

    Here's the basic circuit. I ended up tuning it by ear by adding an additional 10uf cap in series with C2 which yields 8uf...and added a mechanical 50 watt L-Pad. Seems it brought the hi pass up to ~1800 or so. I can't really explain what happened electrically in detail, it just sounded right.
    Thank you!
    Not following what you're telling about the caps in series netting you 8uF though?
    In series means subtractive, correct?
    If 8uF was what you settled on and liked, could I just use an 8uF to start with?
    I like your approach, less is more!
    Thank you for taking the time to put this up

  2. #17
    Senior Member edgewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sullivan View Post
    Thank you!
    Not following what you're telling about the caps in series netting you 8uF though?
    In series means subtractive, correct?
    If 8uF was what you settled on and liked, could I just use an 8uF to start with?
    I like your approach, less is more!
    Thank you for taking the time to put this up
    Sure....start with the 8uF. You won't hurt anything...although my circuit is probably violating all sorts of audiophile CC&Rs...but frankly I don't care. It's what sounded best to my musician ears on many familiar great recordings on CD. I added the extra cap so I didn't need to desolder and muck up the other components, and Solen 400V caps aren't particularly cheap. The 30uF had too much mid through the 175 which made it sound harsh so I had to tame it. The 6dB/oct roll-off on the 130A(reconed to 2220) blended very nicely with the 18dB/oct roll-in with the 175.

    And....You're most welcome.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

  3. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    Sure....start with the 8uF. You won't hurt anything...although my circuit is probably violating all sorts of audiophile CC&Rs...but frankly I don't care. It's what sounded best to my musician ears on many familiar great recordings on CD. I added the extra cap so I didn't need to desolder and muck up the other components, and Solen 400V caps aren't particularly cheap. The 30uF had too much mid through the 175 which made it sound harsh so I had to tame it. The 6dB/oct roll-off on the 130A(reconed to 2220) blended very nicely with the 18dB/oct roll-in with the 175.

    And....You're most welcome.
    Thank you again for being so gracious
    Makes sense now but what I still do not understand is how 30.61uF less 10.2uF gave you 8uF?
    I'm thinking it would be 20.41uF unless I just don't get how caps in series work

  4. #19
    Senior Member edgewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Sullivan View Post
    Thank you again for being so gracious
    Makes sense now but what I still do not understand is how 30.61uF less 10.2uF gave you 8uF?
    I'm thinking it would be 20.41uF unless I just don't get how caps in series work
    It helps to use a capacitance meter to measure the capacitance of the capacitors in series or parallel for that matter. But you can also Google a capacitor calculator and it will tell you. Putting capacitors in parallel doubles of the value but in series it's some other formula such as a reciprocal of certain numbers. I don't remember the formula off the top of my head.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by edgewound View Post
    It helps to use a capacitance meter to measure the capacitance of the capacitors in series or parallel for that matter. But you can also Google a capacitor calculator and it will tell you. Putting capacitors in parallel doubles of the value but in series it's some other formula such as a reciprocal of certain numbers. I don't remember the formula off the top of my head.
    Thank you - I figured there was more to it with which I was not familiar
    I always check new caps before installing in a circuit but have never had occasion to verify cumulative values due to in series wiring
    I have only ever wired caps in parallel to achieve a larger target value
    Thank you again for a good idea - you have planted a seed

  6. #21
    Senior Member Jan Daugaard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    234
    This is the formula for capacitors in series:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series...its#Capacitors

    In this case, we have 1 / (1 / 30.61F + 1 / 10.2F) = ca. 7.65F

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    U.S.
    Posts
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard View Post
    This is the formula for capacitors in series:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series...its#Capacitors

    In this case, we have 1 / (1 / 30.61F + 1 / 10.2F) = ca. 7.65F
    Thank you my friend

  8. #23
    Senior Member edgewound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    2,640
    Quote Originally Posted by Jan Daugaard View Post
    This is the formula for capacitors in series:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Series...its#Capacitors

    In this case, we have 1 / (1 / 30.61F + 1 / 10.2F) = ca. 7.65F
    Thanks, Jan.

    It's interesting because this is the same formula for parallel impedance.
    Edgewound...JBL Pro Authorized...since 1988
    Upland Loudspeaker Service, Upland, CA

  9. #24
    Member turnitdown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Tallahassee, FL
    Posts
    57
    Where does one acquire the Everest horn from the DD66000? I love their looks and obvious sonic contribution.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •