Thread: Amp for 4311b speakers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    majick47

Amp for 4311b speakers

My brother has a pair of 4311b speakers and he is presently powering them with a Carver 150 watt amp that has been acting up in one channel with static etc. At this point he is ready to give up on the Carver. I found two amps that I thought might work well with his 4311b speakers. First one is the Yamaha MX-1000u (260 watt/8ohm class a/ab). The second amp is a Threshold 400a Stasis amp (100 watt/8ohm class a). Are these two amps decent match and which of the two would you choose?

Fine either way....

They are both great amps and I don't think you can go wrong either way. If he wants more power the Yamaha is the obvious choice. If he wants a more "high end" amp (where you are definitely paying for the name) then the Threshold is the way to go. I use both Carver and Yamaha gear with my JBL's.

jblnut

majick47

4311b Amp

Appreciate the reply re the two amps for a two channel system. I'm sure their are other great amps that would be a good match, MACs and Crown for example. I'm running my L200b speakers with a Yamaha MX-2000 (130 watt/8ohm/class A) that fills my (26Lx19Wx12H) listening room with clean sound with tons of headroom to spare. Have to agree the older Yamaha amps give excellent performane at a very reasonable price.

majick47

4311b amp

JBLNUT we decided to purchase the Yamaha MX-1000u amp (260watt/8ohm class a/ab). Will update later as to sound of 4311b with this powerhouse amp.

excellent !

Quote Originally Posted by majick47
    JBLNUT we decided to purchase the Yamaha MX-1000u amp (260watt/8ohm class a/ab). Will update later as to sound of 4311b with this powerhouse amp.
    I think you'll be very happy with it. The question now is what preamp are you going with ?

jblnut

Steve Gonzales

great choice!!!!

I agree with this choice, those big Yamaha's are TOTALLY underated and offer so much for the money, hell, a third of the money. I use M80's and love the C70 Yamaha pre, It does not have the variable loudness that the other top vintage pre's do . I do not like the VL feature in my set-up, it never sounded quite right. Also, although the MX-1000 is a good amp too, the "u" version is MUCH better and there IS a big difference!. Good luck and I will watch your posts on this matter to see what your results are.

majick47

Preamp for Yamaha MX-1000U Amp

My brother has a matching "vintage" Carver preamp, believe it's a C4, and I doubt it will equal the performance of the Yamaha amp. I'd be inclined to suggest he purchase the matching Yamaha CX-1000U preamp. This preamp is almost identical except for color (black versus silver) to my Yamaha CX-2000 preamp. I think he would be getting a lot of preamp for the money and not be paying partly for a name. Again I would be interested to hear any suggestions re a preamp.

Thread Information