Thread: Need help with diy vintage jbl bass reflex speakers project

Need help with diy vintage jbl bass reflex speakers project

I am pretty new to this but am planning on building a set of vintage JBL bass reflex speaker cabinets such as the C35's but will be using newer JBL Components. Specifically, JBL E-130 15" woofers, JBL 2426H/J HF compression drivers with JBL 2370A horns and will probably have a friend build some crossovers for me, crossing over at 1250 Hz . I will be pushing these speakers with a recently restored Sansui 9090 running 8 Ohms at 125 watts per channel which is why I am not using the JBL D-130's and the LE175 drivers. Those early components from the late 50's and into the 60's are rated at 25 watts and I would like something that would be a better match for my receiver. I owned a set of C35's years ago and had them hooked up to a McIntosh MC-240 amp, a C22 preamp and an MR-71 tuner. It broke my heart but I had to part with everything except my Sansui's when my finances took a turn for the worse about 13 years ago. I am, however, beginning to start over with my collection and have the Sansui 9090 to work from. I should mention that I prefer to build a set as I plan on building them with my 14 year old son and would like to leave him this equipment someday, as opposed to buying a pair of speakers. I was, however, looking at the JBL Studio 590's so if this project falls through I can always pick up a set of those. I need some advice, however on the cabinet I am building as I am not certain that these particular components will fair well in the C35 cabinet. Do you think I am heading in the right direction or should I choose another cabinet design for these components? Any advice will be greatly appreciated..
    Thanks much,
    -Cykotic
    Name:  Sansui 9090DB Image.JPG
Views: 2196
Size:  61.2 KB
    Name:  JBL C35.jpg
Views: 5632
Size:  44.5 KB

Sounds like a fun project. I would use this as a tuning guide:

https://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf

Not sure about the flat front bi-radial horn, but the rest of your plan sounds good to me. And the 2370 may be an excellent choice... it is just one I wouldn't make.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Sounds like a fun project. I would use this as a tuning guide:

https://www.jblpro.com/pub/manuals/enclgde.pdf

Not sure about the flat front bi-radial horn, but the rest of your plan sounds good to me. And the 2370 may be an excellent choice... it is just one I wouldn't make.

Widget
    +1. To add to the above: I audited the 2370 some years ago - it is primarily a "PA" device to my ear. Needs special EQ (see JBL pro specs) to produce flat output at the higher frequencies (perhaps his friend can build this into the crossover?). In any case, would need some development to achieve optimum performance. It's designed for a different purpose. Personally, I'd stick with one of the old exponential offerings.

P.S. Here is an excellent site re engineering "wave guide" systems as well as a white paper on professional JBL monitor systems design. If you really want to go in this direction, there is a lot of material to research and digest. www.pispeakers.com.

Quote Originally Posted by cykotic View Post
    I will be pushing these speakers with a recently restored Sansui 9090 running 8 Ohms at 125 watts per channel which is why I am not using the JBL D-130's and the LE175 drivers. Those early components from the late 50's and into the 60's are rated at 25 watts and I would like something that would be a better match for my receiver.
    That is an ideal match in my world
    Could destroy your hearing with clean sound and the old receiver wouldn't even have to break a sweat

Thread Information