Thread: ACS48 dying

ACS48 dying

They won't power up (mostly). I've had them coming up on 20 years. About year 5 they started staying of when unplugged. With them plugged in taking the fuse holder cap off and pulling the fuse and then reinstalling it and the cap powered them on. Then the fuse holder broke apart, unplugged, pulled the back panel and broke the fuse out, plugged in and wire nutted the the red and white ex-fuse leads together, they powered on. When power would go off opening the R &W wires for 15 - 20 sec and they would power back on.

Unplugged pulled the back panel and note that the solder side of the PCB is discolored at U1 and U2 ) 3 lead components) that appear to be power transistors. I say discolored not burnt. Also the solder side of the PCB at R1 & R2 (100 ohm) is slightly discolored.

What is the large coil mounted to the inside front of the enclosure? The coil has the 120 vac lines running to it. The speakers still work but I would like a fix for the problem.

Any Help helps!!

toadz

Is this you, too? Or just a Michigan coincidence?
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-Lansing-ACS48

I'm not sure you're gonna find much help for Altec-Lansing computer speakers here. Every set I bought my kids for college died before they graduated and are now in the land-fill.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

ACS48 dying

Hi BMWCCA , not much help but we can commiserate together <grin>. I haven't heard of a speaker system yet that could hold a candle to these.

When I bought them I had thought they were 100 watters not 80 as I have seen else where. Guess I'll have to lookup the paperwork on them and see.

Best!!

Jim aka toadz

Thread Information