Thread: Crown Macro Reference - looking for tech specs for transformer that powers backlight

Crown Macro Reference - looking for tech specs for transformer that powers backlight

I originally posted over in the pro amp section but in retrospect, this is more accurately a consumer amp.
    I have a fine tech beating his way through a trial and error process trying to create a new transformer to power the front panel backlighting and I would sure like to help find some specs for him to work from.
    Would anyone happen to have any intel/gems that might be of use to him?
    Thanks folks
    Mark
    nb: The Crown service manuals apparently don't provide much info on this particular component

Apparently we are missing a chunk of the conversation -
    why can't you just get a replacement transformer from Crown?
    why would you have to re-engineer one/Create a new one for a backlighting circuit?

No, I am not trying to be snarky at all, honestly, I'm just not getting the plan ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thanks for asking and no offence taken :-)
    Crown no longer supplies parts for this amp of roughly 1992 vintage.
    Given the long history between Crwon and JBL, I was hoping someone here had experience restoring these amps.
    Cheers
    Mark

This the amp and the backlighting is apparently some sort of electroluminescent (EL in Crown speak) that my tech describes as being driven by a high speed switching transformer of unknown voltage.
    Here is unit
    Mark

Transformer

The component seems to be a DC/DC converter. That is meant to be a "black box", you don't need to care about the internals. It contains some high speed switching circuitry with a tiny transformer (core plus some windings), but that is - see above - "black box", and it cannot be serviced (repaired).

Try to determine the specs of that DC/DC converter, and get a spare for the whole converter, forget about the "transformer".

The converter appears at the bottom of schematics page 2 of 3 (named EL Power Supply) and at the left of the pcb in service manual 8-2-22.

Google for "DC/DC Converter" and have a look at the pictures. That should look familiar.

Ruediger

Correction, Component is a DC/AC converter

I was wrong when I thought the component was a DC/DC converter. It is a DC/AC converter.

Manufacturers of EL foil supply the converter together with the foil, and you can buy the converters separately, for example "12 volt electroluminescent inverter for EL ..."

Still it remains a black box, not serviceable.

Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    I was wrong when I thought the component was a DC/DC converter. It is a DC/AC converter.

Manufacturers of EL foil supply the converter together with the foil, and you can buy the converters separately, for example "12 volt electroluminescent inverter for EL ..."

Still it remains a black box, not serviceable.

Ruediger
    Been awhile but I wanted to provide an update.
    As you stated, EL folks sell transformers with their product and we managed to replace all the 'ghastly' green films and it looks as it should.
    Now have a bad CH 2 that needs to be sorted - the long weird journey continues.
    Thank you for your time and input.
    Cheers
    Mark

Thread Information