Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec 604e advice

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    D-day tomorrow?

GeeDeeEmm

Yep got em. You were spot on about the edge doping dripping, great eyes man. They look (and sound) legit. Will start posting pics shortly. These are the first speakers to make my 4343's look small. They're not taller, they're wider and deeper, seem to have a little bit more volume.

Just been listening to them for the past 30 mins or so. Very clear and present, a little rolled off down low....very nice. Looking forward to cleaning up the pots in the crossover, maybe even biamping them. Will take the fronts off and show inside pics shortly.

Thanks

Here's some pics. Note the scale ref against the 4343's. The internal shots were taken by reaching in the ports with my phone. Cabinets are pretty scratched up but they are certainly well built. Front baffle is 2" thick. I got these from a guy, who got them from an elderly woman who's husband sipped them over from the states in the 70's.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Freq Response meaurements

This is with Hi freq attenuation set to about 2. Interested to try them biamped as well and measure.

Quite a bit more, rolled off in at the low and hi end compared to my 4343's and not as flat.

Mic was placed at listening position. Which is around a little under 6 feet away from the speakers. Speakers are about 6 feet seperated and toe'd in quite a bit and aimed directly at me. They're up on milk crates which is probably about 12" off the ground. They're throwing up a nice image that seems as if its coming from 6 feet off the ground about 10 feet away in the center.

Driving them with a 30 watt class A mosfet amp (Accuphase A-30, and a Mark levinson ML-1 pre)

Quote Originally Posted by rusty jefferson View Post
    Perhaps while the DEQX people are showing you the active route with your other pair of speakers........?
    Yeah for the fully active 4343 project I'm waiting for my fourth amplifier (a Yamaha B-1) to come back from service. Also need to open up the 4343's to wire them directly to the amp, and build a hifi rack that can hold 4 amps as well as the DEQX gear and a turtable. So that project probably wont come to fruition for a month or so. So yeah playing around with these 604e's will be fun.

Heres one of the drivers

X over. Theres some seriously sturdy bracing in this cabinet.

Real nice, thanks for sharing.

The real thing in pretty decent shape. Possible moisture exposure. Those cabinets look about the size of Big Reds, which were probably meant to be soffit-mounted.

It can be dangerous to measure 604's . Best to just enjoy them. Neither that tactile midrange nor the bass-treble contiguity of the coaxial form show up on the graphs. Of course if you can smooth the response with DEQX, that might be something to hear.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    The real thing in pretty decent shape. Possible moisture exposure. Those cabinets look about the size of Big Reds, which were probably meant to be soffit-mounted.

It can be dangerous to measure 604's . Best to just enjoy them. Neither that tactile midrange nor the bass-treble contiguity of the coaxial form show up on the graphs. Of course if you can smooth the response with DEQX, that might be something to hear.
    Yeah i agree. What ive found with regard to measurement is its a good tool to gwt you in the ball park but ultimately you need to trust your ears. So for my 4343 i start with what the graphs say is the flattest respo ae then i tweak from there based on the ears. The deqx thing im gonna try with the 4343s will be a break with thia as ill be leaving it entirely up to the syatem to correct for the room amd eq and stuff..will be intersting.

604e Biamped, measurements

So I've also just tried biamping them, plot attached. Haven't tried to apply any EQ. I think they sound a bit more open, lively and detailed when biamped.

Man they sound pretty incredible on acoustic stuff. Was just listening ths blue raincoat by Leonard Cohen , with the the lights turned off..crazy good

I have a long-postponed project to re-enclose my 604-8G's, make some Yuichi horns for them and connect the UREI 828 crossovers I have on the shelf. You are inspiring me to move on it.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

I have a long-postponed project to re-enclose my 604-8G's, make some Yuichi horns for them and connect the UREI 828 crossovers I have on the shelf. You are inspiring me to move on it.
    Awesome, get in there!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    Yeah i agree. What ive found with regard to measurement is its a good tool to gwt you in the ball park but ultimately you need to trust your ears. So for my 4343 i start with what the graphs say is the flattest respo ae then i tweak from there based on the ears. The deqx thing im gonna try with the 4343s will be a break with thia as ill be leaving it entirely up to the syatem to correct for the room amd eq and stuff..will be intersting.
    Man, I'm having so much fun reading your adventure on this project. Could I make a personal plea to you, though? Please turn your spell check function on! You're making me work too hard to decipher some of your sentences.

GeeDeeEmm

It can be dangerous to measure 604's . Best to just enjoy them.
    Can I get an "amen?" Yes. Yes you may!

GeeDeeEmm

Thread Information