Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Altec 604e advice

Altec 604e advice

Hi all, I'm picking up this pair of 604E at the end of the week. Pretty excited as I've been waiting for a long time to get a pair. Going on a bit of a roadtrip on Friday night to pick em up.

Should I pop open the crossovers and measure the caps and replace if needed? Also wondering if I should track down the mastering labs X over to effectively make them Big Reds. Any other advice on how to get them in best shape welcome. Looking forward to that first listening session when they're hooked up to all my gear.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Good find! I'd post over on the Altec Users Group, too. Lots and lots of very informed folks there.

GeeDeeEmm

A better photo would help, but I'm kind of questioning the cones. I can't quite make that out as an accordian surround, and the doping looks a little too black. An aftermarket recone should be reflected significantly in the price. Even a GPA recone should not be priced with the collectibility pricing of originals. With the 604e a recone, if 8 ohms instead of the original 16, can obsolete the crossover.

As for the Mastering Labs crossover--Very rarely seen separated from the big reds and very expensive when. Today there are other alternatives, some less costly and perhaps as good or better.

I could be wrong, but . . . . See if anyone over at Altec users can give you the numbers for the original cones.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    A better photo would help, but I'm kind of questioning the cones. I can't quite make that out as an accordian surround, and the doping looks a little too black. An aftermarket recone should be reflected significantly in the price. Even a GPA recone should not be priced with the collectibility pricing of originals. With the 604e a recone, if 8 ohms instead of the original 16, can obsolete the crossover.

As for the Mastering Labs crossover--Very rarely seen separated from the big reds and very expensive when. Today there are other alternatives, some less costly and perhaps as good or better.

I could be wrong, but . . . . See if anyone over at Altec users can give you the numbers for the original cones.
    This is the only pic right now, there were other pics but the ad has been taken down now. Yeah not sure about the surrounds, im told they are all original, will check the cones when i get them. Would be a bit of a shame if they were not original. Yeah see what you mean about the big red x overs, pricey. Well i'll take a few pics when i get them.

Those pictures enlarge very nicely and I'd wager money that they are original unless they've been reconed for a very long time. Both cones, especially the one on the right, have those "splotches" that tend to show up on old cones, and there appears to be a minute amount of pooling of the surround sealer at the bottom. My old eyes aren't good enough to be absolutely sure about that last part.

Nevertheless, Dave makes some excellent points. I'd go armed with the correct cone numbers and a multi-meter. If things aren't correct, you will have reason to do some negotiating on the price.

Let us know how it works out, will 'ya?

GeeDeeEmm

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Those pictures enlarge very nicely and I'd wager money that they are original unless they've been reconed for a very long time. Both cones, especially the one on the right, have those "splotches" that tend to show up on old cones, and there appears to be a minute amount of pooling of the surround sealer at the bottom. My old eyes aren't good enough to be absolutely sure about that last part.

Nevertheless, Dave makes some excellent points. I'd go armed with the correct cone numbers and a multi-meter. If things aren't correct, you will have reason to do some negotiating on the price.

Let us know how it works out, will 'ya?

GeeDeeEmm
    Cheers for the great observations. Will update you all gow it goes. Thank you.

...Also has anyone successfully bi-amped a pair of 604e's? Might give this a try.

Probably been done. The passive crossovers have asymmetrical slopes, though, and may pull down the upper midrange a little as well. Because of the physical limitations of the design, the horn unloads too close to the crossover frequency, so the crossover incorporates a steeper slope for it, and without the frequency response compensations Altec thought were necessary, the speaker will not sound right. The later 604 devotee crossovers must be considered individually. Some of them are said to be quite good.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Nice pickup, I've always been a dollar late or a dollar short when having chances to listen or purchase a pair. I always wanted to hear a pair at least. From what I read I would build what Grumpy has linked to and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by Goldjazz View Post
    ...Also has anyone successfully bi-amped a pair of 604e's? Might give this a try.

I bi-amped my 604-8G's, and liked them better but that was a long time ago. They have long been stored away with their original crossovers.

I occasionally ponder getting them out but there are many other projects that I would rather get done. Kinda sad to leave them sitting.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Probably been done. The passive crossovers have asymmetrical slopes, though, and may pull down the upper midrange a little as well. Because of the physical limitations of the design, the horn unloads too close to the crossover frequency, so the crossover incorporates a steeper slope for it, and without the frequency response compensations Altec thought were necessary, the speaker will not sound right. The later 604 devotee crossovers must be considered individually. Some of them are said to be quite good.

Interesting i can apply different crossover points and hi and low pass slopes individualy with my First Watt B4.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    I bi-amped my 604-8G's, and liked them better but that was a long time ago. They have long been stored away with their original crossovers.

I occasionally ponder getting them out but there are many other projects that I would rather get done. Kinda sad to leave them sitting.

Barry.
    ah yes too many projects, not enough time. I know it well. Interesting to know you preferred them biamped.

Perhaps while the DEQX people are showing you the active route with your other pair of speakers........?

D-day tomorrow?

GeeDeeEmm

Thread Information