Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Digital Audio for Dummies, like Me.

Since this is not an analog vs digital thread - thank you - I will again take the opportunity to recommend, highly, the book by Greg Milner, Perfecting Sound Forever. (Faber and Faber, 2009) It uses carefully researched history to put acoustic, analogue and digital recording into perspective in a completely entertaining way. Not a how to, but a history of recording and later processing sound. In my opinion, digital is the first real fundamental breakthrough since the electric microphone was first used in commercial recording, about 1925. I would recommend not approaching it as a reference to look up stuff. Rather, enjoy the trip.

I got a used hardcover library copy for peanuts, look online.

PS If the parallel technology of radio similarly floats your boat, the old PBS Ken Burns film Empire Of The Air is this sort of treatment. It ends up, after Tesla everything was developed by one man, Edwin Armstrong.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Hello Clark;

Armstrong is a hero of mine, truly a giant. I have never seen the film but I will find it. Thank you for the reference.

I assume you may have read the book, Man of High Fidelity?

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Unfortunately, I had not heard of Man Of High Fidelity. It may be a while before I can see it. At this point, used paperbacks start at $65. I will try.

The Ken Burns DVD is not a happy experience to view, but I still enjoyed it. It is out there for $5-6 plus shipping. As you know, the near idiot Lee de Forest and the complete bastard Sarnoff made Armstrong's life miserable. The film is about how the three moved through their age. More simply, how the other two screwed Armstrong at every turn.

The book the film is adapted from, by Tom Lewis, I have not seen but it is out there cheap as well. I just saw on copy for $1.50.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

The book also portrays the tragedy of his circumstance. It is autobiographical and the early years of discovery and triumph through genious and absolute determination is inspiring to say the least.

The book also underscores the utter failure of US patent law to protect the inventor against big money. Tragic. The author works diligently to factually lay to waste Lee deForest's reputation as anything but a patent troll.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information