Thread: Cabinet Recommendations for Dual Altec 414s

Cabinet Recommendations for Dual Altec 414s

I have the four 414s from a pair of Altec Carmels, and I'd like to move them into different cabinets. (The original horizontal Carmel cabinets are too large and unwieldy -- and that's just for starters.)

What is the ideal cabinet for dual 414s? And what is the smallest / shortest cabinet possible that would still be suitable? As these speakers are intended for a small (12' x 12' x 9') room, I'm wondering if a sealed cabinet might be better -- both sonically for this space, and for my size constraints (in that I should be able to use a smaller sealed cabinet -- right?)

If I can't reduce much smaller than the original Carmel or 9844 dimensions, then I'll likely lower my sights and use a single 414 per side in something like an Altec 614 cabinet.

Thanks for any suggestions or advice!

Altec gives the optimal enclosure size for the 414 as 3.5cu' ( see above ).

7cu' in a vertical arrangement can be made to appear slim, modern & fung choi ( with a skilled designer at the helm ).

What's your plan for HF ?

Thanks!

I've seen that chart, but I've never known precisely how to interpret it. I guess the "Recommended Optimum" of "3.5" cubic feet is in a type "C" enclosure (or "Regular Port Bass Reflex")? Is that correct? This would make sense as the Altec 614 cabinet closely matches these specs.

If I double that volume, do you have any advice on preferred cabinet dimensions? (My preference would be for the shortest cabinet possible.) And port size?

Further, that chart at least contemplates a sealed enclosure. Any guess as to how well that might work? I see minimum for a single 414 in Infinite Baffle is 2.5 cu. ft. I'm not sure how to scale that for two 414s, though?

My plans in the HF arena are to experiment (after I get bass cabinets built) with Altec 804, JBL 2441, and TAD TD-2001 on Altec, Edgar-, and Azura- horns of various sizes. (I chose this little mix-and-match collection as a start as I either own them already or have easy access to loaners.)

Thanks again -- much appreciated!

Can't help you, but keep us posted on your progress. I have a pair of these woofers and would appreciate your feedback.

Widget

Jim,

If you want to play around with different box sizes ( & tunings ) then take a look at the knock-down ( flat-pack ) kits ( for sub-woofers ) that DIYSG sells.

Look here!

They sell both ported & sealed enclosures .

Consider them modular building blocks for a future system.

Buy a few different sizes ( make some custom baffles for your Altecs ) and go to town to find the best fit for your room and woofers ( assuming this hands-on approach is the only one available to your situation ).

This really takes me back. I had a pair of Carmels in the early eighties and had the same issue as you wrt the horizontal cabinet geometry. I ended up putting the woofers into a DIY vertical arrangement vented cabinets that were about seven cu. ft. and they were terrific. Just a ton of dynamic fun with a great bottom end. I still miss them...

Thread Information