Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: 476be

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    135

    476be

    Do any of you know if this driver is sensitive to DC from a amp via active X-over?

    I am thinking og conecting a small SET Tube amp Direct to the driver,
    something like in the M2.

    Do you Think the driver can handel it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    1,879
    I thought the output transformer isolated the speaker from DC in a SET amp, but in case it didn't I wouldn't want to subject the voice coil on a very expensive/impossible to get parts for driver to any DC if I could help it.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I thought the output transformer isolated the speaker from DC in a SET amp, but in case it didn't I wouldn't want to subject the voice coil on a very expensive/impossible to get parts for driver to any DC if I could help it.
    I have No idea.
    but if a SET amp isolate the dc from the speaker.?
    then it maybe could work ?

  4. #4
    Senior Member Hoerninger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    Do you Think the driver can handel it?
    NO RISK, NO FUN?
    A compression driver, most often a costly product, I would always use with a protection capacitor -best in a charge coupled version .
    ____________
    Peter

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    NO RISK, NO FUN?
    A compression driver, most often a costly product, I would always use with a protection capacitor -best in a charge coupled version .
    ____________
    Peter
    Is there a protection capacitor in the Jbl M2?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Hoerninger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    Is there a protection capacitor in the Jbl M2?
    I don't know, but i would insert it.
    __________
    pETER

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    135
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoerninger View Post
    I don't know, but i would insert it.
    __________
    pETER
    Probable a good idea :-)

  8. #8
    Senior Member hsosdrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    Is there a protection capacitor in the Jbl M2?
    Yes.



    JBL M2_tech_manual.pdf

  9. #9
    Senior Member pos's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Paris, France
    Posts
    2,632
    hsosdrum, there is a typo in this technical manual: the 33.3uF cap should read 3.3uF.
    Maybe you still have the contacts at JBL Pro to make them correct this?

  10. #10
    Administrator Robh3606's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Rocinante
    Posts
    8,805
    Always use a protection cap or risk a very expensive accident, all pro cabinets use them and always have just take a look at the schematics.

    Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

  11. #11
    Senior Member hsosdrum's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Burbank, CA
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    hsosdrum, there is a typo in this technical manual: the 33.3uF cap should read 3.3uF.
    Maybe you still have the contacts at JBL Pro to make them correct this?
    I'll see what I can do. I know a couple of folks who are still there.

  12. #12
    Senior Member SteveJewels's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Dayton, OH
    Posts
    129
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I thought the output transformer isolated the speaker from DC in a SET amp, but in case it didn't I wouldn't want to subject the voice coil on a very expensive/impossible to get parts for driver to any DC if I could help it.

    SET amplifiers have a transformer coupled output.

    It is not possible to couple DC through a transformer.

  13. #13
    Dang. Amateur speakerdave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,705
    Yeah, but other stuff can happen.

    This question comes up with some regularity. You choose the value of your protection capacitor to operate two octaves below your crossover frequency. Guidance to this process can be found in the manual for the 5235.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

  14. #14
    Senior Member ivica's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    serbia
    Posts
    1,700
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    Do any of you know if this driver is sensitive to DC from a amp via active X-over?

    I am thinking og conecting a small SET Tube amp Direct to the driver,
    something like in the M2.

    Do you Think the driver can handel it?
    Hi Brian,

    I would suggest in any okasion to apply protective capacitor to protect CD driver, not only from DC, but any other LF frequency, something about 47uF or less
    Regards
    Ivica

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 476Be
    By Techbot in forum Transducer Information
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-06-2012, 08:34 AM
  2. 476Be
    By 4313B in forum Public Forum - Reference Information
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-22-2011, 01:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •