Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greg Timbers interview.

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Damn, I probably have to get me a couple of OpenDRC again!

I would really like to play with an DEQX as well. Have you tried it pos?
    A group buy maybe for the DEQX?
    Flodstroem

He wants to play with ribbons!

Very neat interview - tho I had to notice this aside ..
    When asked
    if you could go back in time, any speakers that you would do differently?
    The only big mistake on my part was the L212 system. I was working on it at the time we were moving from Glendale to Northridge.
    The measurement facilities were up and down at both locations and listening rooms were at both places so there was no consistency to any of the results.
    I made a tactical error that made the system less than it deserved to be.

I just refurbed a pair of the L212 towers around Christmas, I like the combination of drivers and really enjoy the sound of these speakers,
    (although the seller did not offer the original sub B212 Bass unit, so I made do with a Volkswoofer I already owned),

but I'd love to know more about what "tactical error" or compromises might have been made ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

I would really like to play with an DEQX as well. Have you tried it pos?
    Never tried them
    I am eagerly waiting for Tranquility Bass' solution right now, enjoying my openDRC's in the meantime

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    I just refurbed a pair of the L212 towers around Christmas, I like the combination of drivers and really enjoy the sound of these speakers,
    (although the seller did not offer the original sub B212 Bass unit, so I made do with a Volkswoofer I already owned),

but I'd love to know more about what "tactical error" or compromises might have been made ...

http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pe...ives/smith.htm

Quote Originally Posted by David Smith
    The original concept for the L212 was devised by Ed May, but he left JBL before the system was developed. Lorr Kramer, Greg Timbers and Terry Sorenson were responsible for engineering of the production model. Terry was a fun guy, one of the crew when I was there. Terry was studying for an MBA at night so he would frequently come in and preach the Religion-of-the-Free-Market to us. Engineers like to debate so that was as good a topic as any.

Anyhow the 212 had a removable base that, once removed, allowed the system to be buried flush in the pit. The crossover was designed to give a highly flat system under those conditions. Unfortunately once removed from the pit the 2pi to 4pi effect was enough to mess up the response to an appreciable degree. Not that it was horrible sounding, just that it wasn't the balance you would have given it if you thought about it. I remember that the system was reviewed by High Fidelity. They used CBS labs for measurements and did a Floyd Toole type axial response/front hemisphere/total sphere set of measurements. Sure enough the response showed a pretty good mound around 200Hz (the secondary effect) that the reviewers commented on. I don't remember if a running change was made to fix it, but at least a lesson was learned that 2pi flat was not the answer and no later systems fell into that trap. This was one of the main incentives for developing the ground plane measuring technique.

By the way I had one of the 212 systems and liked it a lot. It used great drivers including the very expensive 112A mid bass unit. This was the only 8" JBL driver to use a 3" coil. Terry showed me a 3 element passive notch circuit that was developed to fix the response and so it sounded quite good. When I moved to KEF in the UK, this is the system I took with me (I sold my KLH 9's to Randy Patton).

Thanks pos. Not sure if I forgot that page or never stumbled upon it before.

Widget

Sure - I read that David Smith page at Christmas when I did all my research on the system as I was rebuilding the mid-woofers and such,
    (Google is very helpful) but I was sort of hoping maybe Greg Timbers would give HIS thoughts on the system ...

I can recall some discussion in the forums in the past where someone had mentioned taking the feet off the towers
    and possibly wall mounting them - and of course the various thread on stacking multiple pairs of them.

But - this is a thread about Greg Timbers ...
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Never tried them
    I am eagerly waiting for Tranquility Bass' solution right now, enjoying my openDRC's in the meantime
    Hmm, I see it now will take multichannel digital input in i2s format. Interesting for me, because the new VanityHD for Oppo 203 will probably output 8 channels i2s. This would be the perfect system for me!
    tranquility bass will still be ready "any year now"?

Hmm, I see it now will take multichannel digital input in i2s format. Interesting for me, because the new VanityHD for Oppo 203 will probably output 8 channels i2s. This would be the perfect system for me!
    tranquility bass will still be ready "any year now"?
    Yes thank you you Mt Timbers - I loved your work - a true genius.

GT stresses the importance of high efficiency for dynamics. In my lifetime of owning many JBL's - high efficiency JBL's have been the ones I turn down in volume. Whereas the low efficiency have always wanted to turn up.

Mr Timbers says that he made a mistake with the 212's. Well to me they were the best sounding JBL's I've ever owned! Sure they're colored and when pushed were dirty. Male vocals were chesty - mids were a little honky and highs were over emphasized but just glorious. The colorations were a plus IMO!

The Everest enjoying pride of place in Greg's listening room. Anyone have an idea of the dimensions of the room?

David F
    San Jose

From my poor recollection it's what you can see in the pic and maybe 2.5x longer with a listening seat/couch
    at the 2x dimension (verry very roughly). Perhaps someone else recalls better. It sounded swell
    (prior to the DEQX, JC-1 room heaters, and some of the other goodies).

I thought the tweeter amp was something like a Marantz 1060.
    Whatever it was, it either did the job or was unimportant to my ears

Interesting interview. I like his, no nonsense, insights. His comments about vintage vs present day loudspeakers are succinct and correct. Satisfying to read when someone hits the nail on the head like that, it neatly wrapped up a few of my thoughts and observations I had on the topic.

Thumbs up

It took five days, but my comment on the article was finally approved. Maybe I was ragging on Harman a little too much? To Posi+tive Feedback's credit, nothing was edited out.

The article is linked and Greg is quoted on the DEQX site for those who love this kind detail.
    Out.

Your comment appeared there when I first viewed the article some days ago, not sure why it's just showing up for you.

Re DEQX, here's a take from a guy who spent more time and money on them than most here:

The Deqx was never intended to be a DIY product? I have been told they dislike that it is. It was designed by the same people who designed the Dolby Lake Contour. The two products are similar. The Dolby was for the Pro Sound Market and the Deqx for the OEM Speaker Manufacturing Market. It was designed by engineers for engineers. That being said, it would not surprise me if the DIY market has kept them solvent while they continue to court the OEM's. The company will sell to the DIY market, as evidenced by looking at their website, but appear to have minimal interest in supporting it. Hence, the self- serving comment. Common guys, commission someone to create a usable instruction manual. You owe it to us.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    Maybe I was ragging on Harman a little too much?
    Ehh...I don't think it's possible to rag on Harman too much.

Thread Information