Thread: 806-8a

806-8a

Hello to all, am new to this forum, having recently acquired a pair of 806-8a with 811b horns.

I'm using these in a DIY active Open Baffle speaker. Each speaker uses a pair of Eminence Alpha 15a drivers in parallel for bass duties, up to 1k, which then hand over to the 806's up to 6k. Top end is taken care of with Isophon DKT horn tweeters. Active crossover is a miniDSP 4x10.

I'm pretty happy with how these speakers sound, however I've read comments here that the 806's are not the best Altec drivers, so I'm wondering if there are worthwhile improvements to be had with another driver for the horns, or perhaps a different diaphragm?

How do the GPA drivers measure up to Vintage Altecs?

I know little about these drivers, they are not that common on this side of the pond, so any advice gratefully received!

With the way you are utilizing your 806 driver ( 1-6K, then passing over to a tweeter ) it wouldn't make much sense to me for you to spin your wheels looking to acquire the slightly more efficient 802/902 ( which granted, have a bit more HF above 10K ).

So from my perspective, you can stop wondering ( about the "might-have-been" ) .

Cool, thanks.

What Earl said is right on the money!

Welcome to the Lansing Product Forum!

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks. Looks like I'm fine sticking with what I have then, good to know.

Thread Information