Thread: Can anyone ID these speakers?

Can anyone ID these speakers?

These are available to me for a bottle of good Irish whiskey but I have not see them in person and the pictures do show a model number. If the drivers are good I have a friend who is a fine woodworking and I am thinking about a pair of tall furniture grade speakers for my living room.

Name:  00J0J_dXbGgmJcth1_1200x900.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  45.7 KBName:  00v0v_6XXrEeSZGOs_1200x900.jpg
Views: 800
Size:  49.7 KB

My first guess is musical instrument speakers but I have been wrong before. See if you can open the back.

My first guess is musical instrument speakers but I have been wrong before. See if you can open the back. I say that only because of the grill work. Sorry about the double post.

They remind me of the 4628B but with a horn instead of the Butt Cheek. I can get over there for a couple days but I;ll certainly see what the guts are. Which approached right could make for a fine set of home speakers. If it is the E145 woofer, the Fs is 35 but when I model it in WinISD, the F3 is 70. that does not seem right.

Name:  4628.jpg
Views: 1291
Size:  261.3 KB

You nailed it G. I am use to the old time JBL stuff. I run 2441 CD on wood horns and the E145 woofer. So I have that high end expectation from JBL. These drivers are 2418H compression driver, M209-8A midrange driver, and 2932H woofer.

Are these the same quality build and sound wise, I expect from JBL? In nice cabs would they sound good in home use. I don't crank it up any more. Jazz, acoustic, classical, but still once in a while, system of a down.

I can't vouch for how they sound but I will say that the MR series was the entry level PA offering from the late 90's era. Relatively affordable but with the JBL name attached; hence the drivers not being on par with what you'd have found in the SR series of the same time period.

Best of luck,

Warren
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

One step below VGC 2206/2226/2241

Those are either MR835 (2118H mid, 2416H HF) or MR935 (M209-8 mid, 2418H HF and "Sonic Guard" light-bulb power limiters for HF ckt)
    Networks are different, matched to the drivers they have.
    See: http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/MR8...ries/MR835.pdf to compare to Grumpy's link on the 935.

They use ferrite magnet drivers, with 3" VC 300W RMS woofers. They are a step down from SR/SRX/STX, but clearly! better than the JRX. SoundFactor, and MPro 200 Series.

Thread Information