Thread: 2446/2380 with SL-dias?!

2446/2380 with SL-dias?!

Hi!

I recently came across a couple of beefy FR PA speakers containing dual 2226 and 2446 w 2380horns. From what I have read the 2446ti and 2380 is not the most HIFI-sounding combination available. Could possibly aquaplas-dias compensate for that? How big is the advantage of the SL-dias on a 2" driver?

It is mentioned as a party speaker but why not a well sounding party speaker

Plan B is changing 2446/2380 to Beyma 755ti (1,5") and horns but it feels less fun and more work rebuilding the boxes.

All the best!
    /Karl

It is my firm opinion that they will sound notably better with SL diapragms in them.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    Hi!

I recently came across a couple of beefy FR PA speakers containing dual 2226 and 2446 w 2380horns. From what I have read the 2446ti and 2380 is not the most HIFI-sounding combination available. Could possibly aquaplas-dias compensate for that? How big is the advantage of the SL-dias on a 2" driver?

It is mentioned as a party speaker but why not a well sounding party speaker

Plan B is changing 2446/2380 to Beyma 755ti (1,5") and horns but it feels less fun and more work rebuilding the boxes.

All the best!
    /Karl
    Why not to add 2405, and get real 3-way system?
    What would be the benefits of using Beyma 755ti, not to mention of Ti diaphragm ringing over 10kHz.
    Possible solution can be BMS 4590 or BMS 4592 nd, dual diaphragm concentric CD driver with 2-inch mouth.

I would expect that JBL SL diaphragm would reduce Ti diaphragm ringing over 10kHz, while 2405 would reproduce all above, say, 9kHz....

regards
    ivica

Hi!

The 755ti measures smoother/flatter/higher than the 2446 (after a closer look mabye not) and is from what I have heard regarded as a quite well sounding driver. A friend of min have them and I can get them for a reasonable price. No horns thoe.
    https://www.beyma.com/products/compr...vers/1CP755TI8

Another reason is that the 2380-horns are broken so I have to repair them (or mabye buy clones). There is no place for a UHF in the boxes.

It would be interesting to try them first. Anyone knowing DSP settings for dual 2226 and 2446/2380? Can`t find anything for 2445/2446... I guess settings from SB 225-9 should be a nice start for the 2226 because it has the same drivers and simular size... https://www.jblpro.com/pages/tunings/spwr.pdf

What is the CD-EQ in JBL m552?

Another idea is when I get tierd of those boxes I can keep the SL-dias for the next project.

Can I reach 15k with the SL-dias? My guess is that this combination vill beat the 755ti in fidelity and be easier to EQ...

Why should it be easy

Regards
    Karl

I use 3 JBL AS2225's (dual 2226's and 2446's w/2380's) http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/as2225.pdf for my L C R in my theater and achieve nice HF up to around 16-17K. To be fair I am using Be diaphragms but they work really well.

I don't listen to much music in there but when I do it sounds pretty nice. With my limited ability using REW to tweak my Crown DCi amps it sounds pretty good and as I get better at speaker measurement, the sound of the theater gets better also. I used the XO points in the .pdf as a starting point and they pretty much remain.

JMO
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information