Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 112/2108 voice coil

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    How about to use a 2123: 3" coil and make it an overhung midrange? Its 0.420" long, 5.2 ohm minimum and a DCR of approx 4 ohm. But have no idea what X-max then would be
    It seems like Speakerexchange uses the same .400" coil for their 2123H aftermarket kit as they use in their kit for the 2122H, and there are no coil especially for the 2123H in the MWA catalog either.

JBL claims +/- 2,5mm Xmax for the 2123 but the overhang are 1,8mm so I guess JBL`s number are calculated with a certain percentage (10%?) drop in BL

2122 uses the Copper wire coil and 2123 uses the aluminum wire coil. Must be a great difference if compared to weight. Thats why I thought of 2123 coil for the build.........
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    2122 uses the Copper wire coil and 2123 uses the aluminum wire coil. Must be a great difference if compared to weight. Thats why I thought of 2123 coil for the build.........
    The .400" coil I have found in the MWA catalog, are a coil for a JBL G125-8 which also uses an aluminum coil.

A coil identical to the one used in 2123 (.420") , I have not found, so if that are to be used, it must be sourced from a Oem 2123 kit or a driver with ruined cone.

But substituting a short copper coil with a aluminum coil if there are no other choice than using a longer coil are a good idea if low moving mass are a goal. (that's probably why Speakerexchange and others uses the .400" coil I their 2122 kits in the first place)

Ps Hvor langt er du villig til å fire på prisen på de LE14H-1 du selger på Finn? Jeg har fryktelig lyst på dem, men med den regningsbunken som skal betales nå i Mars er det å skaffe penga et problem, at jeg har sagt meg villig til å låne sønnen mine et større beløp I forbindelse med et huskjøp gjør ikke problemet mindre.

Hi FE3T,

How is MWA's catalog laid out from a cross-referencing point of view ( ie; can one do a search using known & required VC dimensions or is one mostly confined to MWA suggestions made according to fixing a specific Manufacturer & Model#) ?

The reason I ask is, Altec mostly used 3" voice-coils and most were short with very fine copper windings ( this, all because Altec used an under-hung gap topology until the bitter end ).

ie; Maybe there's an Altec substitute coil that will come closer ( assuming an Altec 3" coil actually fits into a JBL 3" gap ?? ).

The basic understanding I've gained thus far
    focuses firmly around a .400" kit along with a aftermarket
    cone. Usage of that crew makes an overhung
    speaker.
    Had no one unearthed information on the e110
    coil.

not having pdfs to quote isn't helping.
    i do feel however if not using a 3" vc
    a combination is still possible to mirror
    the performance from a 2108/122
    in a 2" driver I'd like to think a weighty 2118 cone
    may yeild good results. But from the graph the le8
    issent far off.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Hi FE3T,

How is MWA's catalog laid out from a cross-referencing point of view ( ie; can one do a search using known & required VC dimensions or is one mostly confined to MWA suggestions made according to fixing a specific Manufacturer & Model#) ?

The reason I ask is, Altec mostly used 3" voice-coils and most were short with very fine copper windings ( this, all because Altec used an under-hung gap topology until the bitter end ).

ie; Maybe there's an Altec substitute coil that will come closer ( assuming an Altec 3" coil actually fits into a JBL 3" gap ?? ).

The catalog are pretty hard to cross reference.
    Only some of the coils have info of what driver it is intended for.
    there are no info about wire gauge, outer diameter or anything that makes it easy to decide if a coil can be used in a certain gap.

Attachment shows a small segment of the 3" list
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by FE3T View Post
    The catalog are pretty hard to cross reference.
    Only some of the coils have info of what driver it is intended for.
    there are no info about wire gauge, outer diameter or anything that makes it easy to decide if a coil can be used in a certain gap.

Attachment shows a small segment of the 3" list
    Thanks for the overview, FE3T.

Thread Information