Thread: Can the ducted port be rescued by the toilet paper roll core ?

Can the ducted port be rescued by the toilet paper roll core ?

I know it is not noble nor fashionable, and that ABS piping tube is the preferred method (although newer ABS pipes- called "Coextruded ABS Cellular Core"- are lower quality with "air bubbles" inside, like the famous chocolate bar, to reduce material costs). But in a pinch (where the only thing available with the correct diameter/length is a paper roll core) and with some "modifications" to it, then it may save a small satellite 2-way vented box project. I've built numerous speaker enclosures of various sizes and complexity since 1981, all of which I still own, and using components from: JBL, E-V, Audax, Vifa, Peerless, Fane, Pioneer, Motorola, Dayton Audio, SB Acoustics, and the list goes on... Yes, its an addiction, a real challenge for the mind !, and it can't be cured...

One of the the challenges in small-size boxes (VB < 5 L.) is to fit woofer/tweeter/vent on a small front panel. I prefer front firing vents and try to use as large vent diameter as possible to minimize vent noise. This is where a paper roll or other such core may be handy if it has the required specs of diameter/length, but most probably not the strength. Once in a while such core is a bit thicker and better made than usual for no specific reason. This is the one to keep (I have about half a dozen of those in stock just in case...), but still not sturdy enough. Many paper, alu. or plastic wrap roll cores can make great ducted ports as long as they are reasonably well made and have proper dimensions. I see a lot of them here and there, some of which I keep in stock for present and future projects. As an added bonus they make nearly free ducted ports. Here's how I reinforce them when required.

Use a small brush to "paint" white glue all over the tube, inside and out, even on both ends. Let it dry for the night. Repeat same once ot twice. Now that tube is stronger, and ready to be cut slowly with a sharp Swiss or utility knife to the proper length if need be. Next, time to wrap the exterior of the tube from end to end with three + layers of utility masking tape (I use 3M's cheap brand "Tartan" for that purpose because it is more sticky and will stay on almost forever, contrary to the Blue or Green painter's tape that is made to be removed). While taping the tube make sure you're not pulling too hard on the tape to prevent changing the tube's round aspect. When done It is good enough to act as a vent in a small low-power vented box. Drill the hole in the front panel to accomodate the tube's larger outside diameter considering the layers of tape and install from inside the box just a bit tight in the hole. If the latter is a little too big you can even add layers of tape as required on the end meant to be inserted in the front panel hole. Don't forget to use caulking also on the inside of the boxe's front panel around the drilled hole/tube junction to make things air tight.

For the finishing touch to cover the appearance (from outside the box) of the masking tape in the hole holding the tube in place, here's how I proceed: when I install the tube in the front panel I don't bring the tube in perfectly flush with the outside of the front panel, instead I leave a tiny gap of about 1/16" (2mm) in order to put a fine line of white silicone (all my boxes are painted white) that will hide the masking tape and make a nice looking junction between panel hole and tube (no silicone in the vent). Moreover, the silicone on the inside and outside of the box also acts as a fastener keeping the tube well in place. In case you wonder, even if the vent tube is now a tiny bit longer inside the box because of this 1/16" (2mm) "gap", don't lose sleep over this since it will not materially affect box tuning. If you're having nightmares cut the tube 2mm shorter.

By the way, for long, thick and heavy cardboard vent tubes you may additionally nail the vent tube to front panel using small finishing nails, a punch and a small hammer. I've done that a few times: place the tube in its final location making sure it fits tightly, grab a 1" finishing nail and hammer, install nail from inside the tube to middle of front panel hole thickness, intially just enough for the nail to hold in place, then take the punch and hammer to finish the job (4 nails: top, bottom, left and right).

As a last note, in order for the ducted port to do its job properly and avoid turbulence, give it some space to "breathe" inside the box , i.e. the end of the port should be at a distance from absorption material on back panel, side panels, etc., even away from braces.

P.S. I made three pairs of these small satellite speakers and use them as stand alone units, or some in a bi-amp setup with a pair of JBL 12" 2214H bass cabinets I've also made. Have fun, I do !

Richard

Hi Richard!

Welcome the the Lansing Heritage forum. I hope you enjoy all the DIY projects that are collected and documented here. There is a lot of knowledge in this community.

All the best,
    Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

I have a selection of various paper mailing and shipping tubes, the core from rolls of 36" wide printer paper, stuff like that. More than I'd ever use, but they're handy for lots of projects.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    I have a selection of various paper mailing and shipping tubes, the core from rolls of 36" wide printer paper, stuff like that. More than I'd ever use, but they're handy for lots of projects.
    Thanks for your reply. You're right mailing/shipping tubes are very good candidates, I have a few of those too in my stock. I keep about 25 tubes of various sizes just in case. I use to have way more, but if you're married like me, at one point the wife goes crazy about speaker building stuff everywhere so I have to consolidate and step back for the sake of peace in the marriage... I admit I am trespassing way beyond my shop and home studio with many on-going speaker building projects. This is why I can only dream of a project involving JBL's 2245H 18" drivers (I know a place that has two pairs reconed as new for sale) but they take too much real estate and the wife will go bananas (sniff). My rule of thumb is nothing bigger than about 4 cu. ft. (box size for my 2205H) in order to keep the peace and love. So I make many smaller ones... By the way, regarding vent tubes, I was at the grocery store the other day and the lady at the meat counter was changing the plastic wrap roll on her machine throwing away the core, I asked her she gave it to me: a good 8mm thick (!), 3 inch inside diameter and about 2 ft long. No doubt, I'm keeping that beast for a future project. Have fun. Regards

Richard

I'm surprised my article on the Toilet paper roll trick gets more than twice the views the other one gets (Basic vent rules for the speaker builder), both posted on the same date, since the latter is more important and further reaching. It could be because people are looking for new or other ways to make things work, maybe to try a more cost effective solution (such as a paper roll core tube vent). Another possibility could be that my speaker building friends (or addicts like me) are trying to find alternative dimension ducted ports as opposed to the standard ones found in stores/internet ( 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2", etc.). Often speaker design software will dictate an odd diameter vent tube like 1 5/8", 2 3/8" or 3 1/4" which may be more difficult to find in regular stock. i know, I've been there too many times... This is why I keep an open eye all the time to find some suitable odd dimension ones (beg, borrow or steal(?) as they say...).

When it happens that the speaker software calls for the vent you don't have or can't find, your first move is to go for the next larger diameter, since going for the next smaller one may bring you a vent that whistles like a bird, but remember that a larger one will also have to be longer to keep the same vent tuning frequency (Fb). Plus that larger/longer one may bring you too close to the boxes rear panel, damping material or brace...

My advice is stock-up on many odd size tubes just in case, particularly if you're making smaller size boxes of about 2 cu. ft. or less.

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by RMC View Post
    I'm surprised my article on the Toilet paper roll trick gets more than twice the views the other one gets (Basic vent rules for the speaker builder),....

Richard
    Likely because the first looks like a question.

Have you looked around this site? There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here with some very talented people in the DIY crowd.

Loudspeaker 101 dissertations are very old news and likely wont garner much attention.

Look around a bit. Serach the archives. You will see what I am driving at.

Have fun!

Barry.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Have you looked around this site? There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here with some very talented people in the DIY crowd.

Loudspeaker 101 dissertations are very old news and likely wont garner much attention.

Look around a bit. Search the archives. You will see what I am driving at.

Have fun!
    Delicately stated!

Thanks—to both of you—for your contributions!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I'm sorry that my articles may have offended the intelligence of some members. It was certainly not my intention when contributing to this site, nor to waste their time. I HAVE been looking around the Audio Heritage web site and forums quite often for a number of years as a guest, and more recently as a member. Having downloaded a gold mine of info from it over time, but recently wanting to give back something for my taking, which I think is fair considering I've been in audio since the mid 70's, plus now early retired.

I did read lots of talented and clever people here, most of them probably more than me. In fact I have always told my P. Eng. friends that had I been intelligent, I would have been an engineer myself ! However, in the forums where I go, still as a guest or as a member, I DO see many newcomers to the field seeking free advice/info/tricks, not just senior members who know/seen it all. The interest shown by new groups makes me believe in the revival(?) of an almost lost art: DIY speaker building, in a world of evething ready-made and disposable. The return of vinyl records and turntables is another indication of that.

Finally, I never do speaker projects (or audio) for others and never sell anything, old or new, not even on E-Bay. I have the money I need till I die, and no commercial ($) expectations from my contributions to this site, contrary to some other members who have their business identification shown. In fact, when a piece of gear in my home studio doesn't suit me anymore I give it away for free (absolutely) or send it to recycling if no takers. My only interest in seeing more speaker builders going at it, is to see driver manufacturers increase their offering (like in the good old days), therefore giving me more options to work with and have fun. Regards,
    Richard

Hi Richard;

My comment was in no way intended to be construed as a "go away kid you bother me" comment.

I was merely attempting to answer your question / statement. You certainly have not offended me. That's actually pretty hard to do.

If I offended you in anyway I sure didn't intend to.

All the best,
    Barry.

Thread Information