Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 4315 woofer, please help

I am thinking to buy an extra pair of 2405 tweeter, do you think i can pair this extra pair to "JBL N1200 16-ohm Crossover Network" ?

If yes, then the connection will be

cable from amp to 4315 > cable from 4315 to this N1200 > cable to 2405

Thank you once more

Quote Originally Posted by snoopy751 View Post
    I am thinking to buy an extra pair of 2405 tweeter, do you think i can pair this extra pair to "JBL N1200 16-ohm Crossover Network" ?

If yes, then the connection will be

cable from amp to 4315 > cable from 4315 to this N1200 > cable to 2405

Thank you once more
    No, 2405 cannot work with the N1200. The 2405 crosses over at 8000hz with the 4315 crossover network. The N1200 crosses at a much lower 1200hz and is meant to be used with the 175DLH compression driver which has a larger diaphragm and designed to play down towards that lower area. The N1200 would allow too much lower and upper midrange energy to get to the diaphragm which would lead to damaging the 2405 diaphragm.

If you want to experiment, sure getting an extra pair of 2405's with the correct and original JBL OEM diaphragms could be a reasonably cost effective way to obtain two JBL diaphragms. You could then swap in the spare pair and see if the problem still resides with the crossover, or you could see if one pair of the 4 four drivers complementary matches the issue with the crossover to even out the high frequencies. The 2405 has plenty of additional output available if the L-pads are working properly so you should be able to get all the HF sizzle / output you want. Otherwise, it would be a good idea to clean the L-pads with DeOxit or similar contact / potentiometer cleaner and exercise the controls about 40 times each. If that doesn't clean the uneven output issue, then one should look into replacing the capacitors and resistors with new. We can discuss parts options if it comes to that.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    No, 2405 cannot work with the N1200. The 2405 crosses over at 8000hz with the 4315 crossover network. The N1200 crosses at a much lower 1200hz and is meant to be used with the 175DLH compression driver which has a larger diaphragm and designed to play down towards that lower area. The N1200 would allow too much lower and upper midrange energy to get to the diaphragm which would lead to damaging the 2405 diaphragm.

If you want to experiment, sure getting an extra pair of 2405's with the correct and original JBL OEM diaphragms could be a reasonably cost effective way to obtain two JBL diaphragms. You could then swap in the spare pair and see if the problem still resides with the crossover, or you could see if one pair of the 4 four drivers complementary matches the issue with the crossover to even out the high frequencies. The 2405 has plenty of additional output available if the L-pads are working properly so you should be able to get all the HF sizzle / output you want. Otherwise, it would be a good idea to clean the L-pads with DeOxit or similar contact / potentiometer cleaner and exercise the controls about 40 times each. If that doesn't clean the uneven output issue, then one should look into replacing the capacitors and resistors with new. We can discuss parts options if it comes to that.
    Thank you for the explanation.

I did swap over two 2405s, and seems both tweeters are fine (even the one with lower OHM reading), therefore, I believe one of the crossover is causing the issue. Likely that a replacing the capacitors and resistors with new are needed

Updated

This morning received a pair of refurnished NOS 2405 tweeters (the serial nos. are very very closed) , then replaced the old pair (the serial nos. different is around 1xxx).

Have a listen for more than two hours, the unbalance of tweeters is now finally gone.

Very happy that now I can have a normal pair of 4315 ... sound is excellent ...

Thank you once again everyone, for your helps.

Just a heads-up, and you may not need them any more, but a fellow Aussie has a pair of 2203 cone kits for sale:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1A-Recone-Kits

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Just a heads-up, and you may not need them any more, but a fellow Aussie has a pair of 2203 cone kits for sale:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...1A-Recone-Kits

Thank you for the heads-up, I think I pass this time ... may be few years later, I may upgrade my 4315 with a bigger model ...

Thread Information