Thread: JBL L100, versions, crossovers and speakers

JBL L100, versions, crossovers and speakers

Hi All
    Danish JBL fan here - Please bear with any language-errors in the following

I am currently working on a set of L100's (non Century model) and I have a pair of L100 Century's coming up.
    They are very beat up and with parts missing i am looking at a very big operation - (and looking forward to it as well)

Now, i know there are some different versions of the L100:
    L100 century with LE20 tweeter and vertically aligned units on the baffle.
    L100 Century with LE25 tweeter
    L100 without Century and orange JBL Logo on the foilcal.

I have a couple of questions:
    1. The LX12-10 crossover, is that used in both the L100 Century models, or just the Alnico one?
    2. The L100 (not century) as that what is referred to as a L100A ?
    3. I have seen a post here about a user finding an L100 (not century) with a LE26 tweeters which were originally LE25-2's, would it be common to see LE26 OR LE25-2 tweeters in later L100 model runs?
    (Post here: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...00-with-LE26-! )
    4. What is the difference, apart from looks, on the LE25, LE25-2 and LE26 tweeters?

Thanks for the help, in advance!
    and thanks for a fantastic forum, as well
    Best regards
    Soren ki

Howdy santashooter,

On the forum main page scroll down to and click on "Links" in the "Technical Reference - Read Only " category and then click on "JBL Consumer Tech Sheet Links," or just go to this link: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...891#post121891

Once there scroll down to the several L100 links. These should help with identifying which version had which components.

Larry
    Last edited by LRBacon; 02-25-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: Add additional info

Quote Originally Posted by LRBacon View Post
    Howdy santashooter,

On the forum main page scroll down to and click on "Links" in the "Technical Reference - Read Only " category and then click on "JBL Consumer Tech Sheet Links," or just go to this link: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...891#post121891

Once there scroll down to the several L100 links. These should help with identifying which version had which components.

Larry
    Hi Larry
    Thanks - that cleared up a lot.
    I still, however i am unclear about the different tweeters.
    Based on a couple of comments and posts in this forum, it seems some people have found L100A Late models with LE26 or LE25-2's mounted in them, though the tech sheets specify LE25 (or LE20's for the first L100 century).
    I know the "correct" L100 is with a LE25, but would you consider a L100 with LE25-2 or LE26 to be wrong, or could it be that JBL assembled it like that from the factory, in the most end of the L100 run?

Howdy santashooter,
    More than likely those L100s with either LE25-2 or LE26 tweeters were installed after they were originally manufactured. Check out these links: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_LE20-25.htm
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_LE26.htm
    You might have a pair that have been updated with his components.

Larry

Howdy santashooter,
    More than likely those L100s with either LE25-2 or LE26 tweeters were installed after they were originally manufactured. Check out these links: http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_LE20-25.htm
    http://www.troelsgravesen.dk/JBL_LE26.htm
    You might have a pair that have been updated with his components.

Larry
    Okay, thanks for the links - no mine are not with Troels Gravesen filters, but both with the L100a crossovers (2 caps, 2 lpads).
    The reason for me asking, is that i got a pair up for restoration without the original LE25's and I need to source a pair, and i was simply wondering to what degree it would be incorrect to use LE25-2's as I have those on the shelves

Visually the LE25-2 is pretty much the same as an LE25 and I would imagine they are very similar sounding, so I personally wouldn't make the effort to find a pair of LE25s. I searched for an LE20-LE25 matrix like the one for the LE5-2 midrange family but couldn't find one. Getting back to LE25-2 usage, it was used in the L36 and crossed over at the same frequency as the LE25 in the L100 with a 4uF capacitor.

Larry

Visually the LE25-2 is pretty much the same as an LE25 and I would imagine they are very similar sounding, so I personally wouldn't make the effort to find a pair of LE25s. I searched for an LE20-LE25 matrix like the one for the LE5-2 midrange family but couldn't find one. Getting back to LE25-2 usage, it was used in the L36 and crossed over at the same frequency as the LE25 in the L100 with a 4uF capacitor.

Larry
    Thank you!
    I will try and put a pair of LE25-2's in my L100's, and keep my LE25's in the L100 centuries, they have the same crossover, so i should be able to hear any differences, if there are any
    Thank you very much for your feedback and help here Larry, it is much appreciated!

btw, am i right in assuming the tweeters in this image is LE25-2's? (based on the non-red surround of the cone)

Santashooter, I tend to agree with your assumption. I had a pair of L36s and the tweeters in them looked just like those in that pair of 4311s.

Larry

Thread Information