Thread: Brother's birthday present advice? help!

Question Brother's birthday present advice? help!

Hello Audio Heritage forum,

As you can see from the title it is my brother's birthday coming up next month and I wanted to get him something a little special. He has just moved into a nice modern house that is a "swanky" but it has no (yes that's right NO) music system and as you all know the standard flat screen TV just don't cut it.... So being as it's his birthday coming up I think there is a moving in/birthday present in order, and I don't want to be listening to a terrible TV play music when I next go see him haha.

But this is where you guys come in. In terms of speakers, I know a little but I'm no expert I can just about wire them up and turn them on. As my brother's house is all modern and stylish it just makes my job harder, hopefully, you guys can help. I am looking for a music system that is able to blast out pure quality while shaking the walls at the same time but, I need it to be looking modern and stylish. So basically, What speakers are on the market today that has awesome sounds and are also looking modern and stylish?

My budget is £800 but I can stretch to £1000 if it makes the difference...

Really looking forward to some replies and then getting my brother a special present! If there is any other information needed, just mention below and I will be sure to add it on!! Thanks guys

Name:  Alteclansing.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  22.6 KB

Thumbs down

Guys, Guys, Guys, Where are all the pros at when you need them?? I know there is a few on here....

Id take a look at B&O items. Their S45.2's sound awesome for a bookshelf and they have some other really modern looking stuff.

good luck,
    Scott

Not sure what's available in the UK or pricing there. I'd go to a good local shop and see what you find. B&W and Monitor Audio both have numerous good value products.

Widget

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Check out the JBL Studio 500 series, in your price range probably the bookshelf 530 or the smaller floor-stander 570. They're hard to beat near their price for non-powered, and much better than the typical all-in-one HT sets. You should be able to find several reviews on them with a basic web search, they're almost universally praised.

And pretty modern look as well...

Not sure where you'd get them in Blighty, but someone must sell them there.

I like the look of these 530's on the link you shared http://www.jblsynthesis.com/productd...tudio_530.html but what else would I get to finish the setup?? Like what kind of amp will I be needing??

Thanks for the replies guys.

Amp? Who said anything about...amps?

(; With what you'd have left in your budget I might look at something from Cambridge Audio, Marantz, NAD, Rega...all of which should be easy to find in England. Assuming the 530's are going for around £600-650 (though who knows you could find deals on them) you may have to spend more in total than £1000.

I think the Marantz PM6006, for example, is retailing at £400 so that's in the ballpark.

Quote Originally Posted by JoShHuTt View Post
    Hello Audio Heritage forum,

As you can see from the title it is my brother's birthday coming up next month and I wanted to get him something a little special. He has just moved into a nice modern house that is a "swanky" but it has no (yes that's right NO) music system and as you all know the standard flat screen TV just don't cut it.... So being as it's his birthday coming up I think there is a moving in/birthday present in order, and I don't want to be listening to a terrible TV play music when I next go see him haha.

But this is where you guys come in. In terms of speakers, I know a little but I'm no expert I can just about wire them up and turn them on. As my brother's house is all modern and stylish it just makes my job harder, hopefully, you guys can help. I am looking for a Cheap music system that is able to blast out pure quality while shaking the walls at the same time but, I need it to be looking modern and stylish. So basically, What speakers are on the market today that has awesome sounds and are also looking modern and stylish?

My budget is £800 but I can stretch to £1000 if it makes the difference...

Really looking forward to some replies and then getting my brother a special present! If there is any other information needed, just mention below and I will be sure to add it on!! Thanks guys

Name:  Alteclansing.jpg
Views: 355
Size:  22.6 KB
    You guys have given me a great step forward and it's time to order some speakers. I now understand for something half decent I am going to have to go a little over my budget which is fine for a decent setup. I am going to order a set of studio 530 speakers and start looking into the best amp to suit. I still think i will need more speaker though?? Can you ever have enough?

He could always get a sub later if he wants low end below 45 Hz. After they break in he may decide it isn't needed. Or you could jump to the 570 or 580, but if it's going to be mainly for HT then he could get more 530s for surrounds, the center channel Studio 520C, and a sub.

They might sound a bit wiry or thin at first but be patient - after a week or two of playing the suspensions will settle in and the sound will gel. To hasten break in, play them continuously when not home or overnight, etc., like a CD on Repeat or FM interstation noise. This is fairly common for many new speakers.

Yeah I know...sounds crazy to some. But it works. I've heard the sound change from break in on both 580s and 590s, and two other people who've bought this series on recommendations. It's all Greg Timbers' and Jerry Moro's fault anyway.

Let us know what you decide on the front end. Good luck!

Thread Information