Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY-project: JBL Kebnekaise S4365

Kebnekaise är inte högt men naggande god!

Port tuning 28Hz = 5.5 in in length (2 each with a radius of 1.358 in)
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post

Does this mean I should make the inner-hole in the baffle exactly 13.75" diameter?
    This should be the actual hole diameter.

I do like the vertical waveguide.

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    Kebnekaise är inte högt men naggande god!

Port tuning 28Hz = 5.5 in in length (2 each with a radius of 1.358 in)
    Thanks!
    And if each port inner-diameter would be 103mm instead, what would the lenght be then?

I was first thinking of naming the project "Elbrus", the highest mountain in Europe. Especially since it reads out like "Electric noise" in Swedish language.
    But aiming for Swedish top-level seems enough at the moment

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    This should be the actual hole diameter.

I do like the vertical waveguide.

The first concept draft, inspired by many things from this site.

Rounded backside inspired by K2 S9900.

Woofer is raised to be as close as the horn as possible. Another version I have has even more raised woofer, with 850mm high woofer-box, so that the centre of the woofer is at 60cm from the floor. But then the original 4365 speaker grill will not cover the whole front. I can solve the height with higher feets as well.

Do you like it?
    Hi bubbleboy,

I can not see any benefits from the "rounded backside", only box volume reduction.

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi bubbleboy,

I can not see any benefits from the "rounded backside", only box volume reduction.

Regards
    Ivica
    The reason for the rounded backside is that I want to be able to place them deep into corners, angled 45 degrees in. But it might be to costly, we'll see.

The reason for the rounded backside is that I want to be able to place them deep into corners, angled 45 degrees in. But it might be to costly, we'll see.
    Hi bubbleboy,

I do not think that it would be the best solution to put the speakers deep into the room corner, not to mention the problem about the realization of such boxies.

Regards
    Ivica

Quote Originally Posted by ivica View Post
    Hi bubbleboy,

I do not think that it would be the best solution to put the speakers deep into the room corner, not to mention the problem about the realization of such boxies.

Regards
    Ivica
    I know there are problems with corner-placements. But there are also large benefits in my room. The sweetspot gets very large, and that is very important for me.
    The vertical horn will reduce corner-problems even more, I think. That in combination with damping behind the speaker of SBIR.

I want the speakers to be able to be placed deep into corner, that is one of my design-goals. So I will probably have the BR-ports on the front in the end. For a first-iteration test-box, I will try closed cabinet, and see if the room gain from the corner is enough.

If you would have told me that I will place speaker in corner some years ago, I would have said I had gone crazy. But I have tested a lot, and it really works the best in my room (very dependent on speaker directivity though). JBL LSR305 works extremely well deep into corner in my room, for example. I have amazed some friends with that. They could not believe that it got so much better in the corner, when the common sense says it should sound "shit". The 45 degree angle is critical for it to work.

The realisation is no problem, says my carpenter. I will not build them myself.

Even the original Everest was maybe designed for corner-placement? It is not stated explicitly, but it kind of looks like that too me:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/html/pr...bl/everest.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Corner Placement ...

... will reduce early reflections. That are the ones which have travelled from speaker to left or right wall and then back to your ears. Their amplitude response is that of a comb filter.

Ruediger

Quote Originally Posted by Ruediger View Post
    ... will reduce early reflections. That are the ones which have travelled from speaker to left or right wall and then back to your ears. Their amplitude response is that of a comb filter.

Ruediger
    So you promote corner-placement?

Yes, corner placement has it's advantages

So you promote corner-placement?
    Yes, cause early reflections are hard to deal with, if the room shall look like a living room.

And of course your speakers need to radiate only into 1/8 th space and not into 1/4 th space.

Ruediger

Thanks!
    And if each port inner-diameter would be 103mm instead, what would the lenght be then?
    Do you have more alternative dimensions? The sim/calc program is rather complicated Due to Im working with this in Windows on my Apple Mac mini and it is efficient to do all sims in one occasion.

I made different sims when I did it for the 69 mm ports just for to see if X-max changes (at the power level of 250W) or if there was different levels of group delay, port air speed etc etc...
    I didnt find anything that was better than the 69 mm dia. But if its essential for you to use port tubes that you have in stock then just give me a hint....

Btw whats the X-max for your 1501fe?
    Flodstroem

I do not know the xmax.
    It was more from a visual standpoint, it would maybe look better with larger BR. So don't bother if it is a hassle. I have no other dimensions in mind.
    The biggest variable for me is the box volume in liters, that can change a bit depending on several factors going forward.
    I really appreciate the help Flodstroem.

OK I see. But its not any hassle to simulate.

If you are going to change the the cabinets to other dimensions then I can do a couple of sims for to see whats happened internal.
    What I mean is the reflections of internal waves, placing of ports etc can be seen in the sim and one can find the most optimal placing of ports as an example for to get the least amount of reflections.
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    OK I see. But its not any hassle to simulate.

If you are going to change the the cabinets to other dimensions then I can do a couple of sims for to see whats happened internal.
    What I mean is the reflections of internal waves, placing of ports etc can be seen in the sim and one can find the most optimal placing of ports as an example for to get the least amount of reflections.

Thread Information