Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY-project: JBL Kebnekaise S4365

DIY-project: JBL Kebnekaise S4365

This will be my first DIY-project. It will be kind of "open source", so I hope all you guys can ship in with ideas, thoughts and help

Components at hand:
    476mg compression driver
    H4365 horn
    1501fe woofer
    4365 speaker grills
    dbx4820 dsp
    Crown CTS-1200 amps

I have a rough plan what to do

What would you have done?

"Kebnekaise" is the highest mountain in Sweden. Not especially high though
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Not sure what I would do different. Maybe raise the woofer height to ~45cm. Dual 1501fe's or adding a 2216nd as a helper woofer might be interesting since we are naming it after mountains. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

With the shorter vertical dimension of the 4365 horn compared to the M2, it should be possible to get the woofer a good height from the floor without making the cabinets too tall.

I look forward to your Kebnekaise design.

Nice Project!

One suggestion I'll make ( even when bi-amping ) is to include a 10 to 15db pad with a bit of HF compensation ( a capacitor wired as a by-pass over the pad ).

Doing so will help re-align the 2 ( different ) sensitivities ( dynamic capabilities ) by offering a more cohesive ( combined ) wave-front .

One can check for this dynamic cohesiveness ( or lack of ) if one is used to things like the sound of live orchestrated woodwinds ( specifically those instruments using reeds ).
    - When their harmonics ( mostly coming from the horn driver ) get out of whack ( & overly dynamic ) one's ears will rebel ( assuming one is familiar with what an oboe sounds like.

The first concept draft, inspired by many things from this site.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    The 1500FE or 1500AL and their variants also make excellent choices for those requiring extended bandwidth for an outstanding two-channel solution. G.T. has stated numerous times that if he had it all to do over again, his "1200 Arrays" would have been "1500 Arrays" with the 1500AL's operating from 25 Hz on up to the Array horns.
    Modular design to be able to use the horn both vertical and horizontal. But most important, to be able to get the damn thing up my stairs!

Rounded backside inspired by K2 S9900.

Woofer is raised to be as close as the horn as possible. Another version I have has even more raised woofer, with 850mm high woofer-box, so that the centre of the woofer is at 60cm from the floor. But then the original 4365 speaker grill will not cover the whole front. I can solve the height with higher feets as well.

Do you like it?

From above.

your project are in good progress

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Not sure what I would do different. Maybe raise the woofer height to ~45cm. Dual 1501fe's or adding a 2216nd as a helper woofer might be interesting since we are naming it after mountains. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.
    Raising the woofer, check!

Dual 1501fe's, I would love to! Just send me another pair of 1501fe's, and I will do it!

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    With the shorter vertical dimension of the 4365 horn compared to the M2, it should be possible to get the woofer a good height from the floor without making the cabinets too tall.

I look forward to your Kebnekaise design.

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    Nice Project!

One suggestion I'll make ( even when bi-amping ) is to include a 10 to 15db pad with a bit of HF compensation ( a capacitor wired as a by-pass over the pad ).

Doing so will help re-align the 2 ( different ) sensitivities ( dynamic capabilities ) by offering a more cohesive ( combined ) wave-front .

One can check for this dynamic cohesiveness ( or lack of ) if one is used to things like the sound of live orchestrated woodwinds ( specifically those instruments using reeds ).
    - When their harmonics ( mostly coming from the horn driver ) get out of whack ( & overly dynamic ) one's ears will rebel ( assuming one is familiar with what an oboe sounds like.

Interesting. Thanks. I will consider this.
    It would be better to enhance the dynamics of the LF, than reducing it on HF, I guess. Just send me some more 1501fe's please!
    The dsp-settings will have to reduce HF much more than LF, to the point of them having almost the same kind of sensitivity, I think.

I will have protection-caps on the compression-drivers, off course.

Quote Originally Posted by hlaari View Post
    your project are in good progress

Do you have more of those 1501fe's?

I have owned real JBL 4365s previously. Some might remember this thread:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ht=4365+active

2-way active ended up super super nice.

I am very interested to see how an vertical horn will sound in this application, Array-style.

Mounting diameter: 13.75"
    Flange diameter: 15.25"

Does this mean I should make the inner-hole in the baffle exactly 13.75" diameter? Or is it the woofer that is 13.75", so the hole should be slightly larger?

The same question applies to the 15.25" flange diameter, should I do the outer-hole in the baffle exactly 15.25" diameter, or slightly larger?

I do not have the woofers until after easter, and I want to make test-boxes beforehand. That is why I ask this.

Anyone here good at box tuning calculation?

What would the port-lenght have to be to tune 113L to 28Hz, with dual ports with 69mm inner diameter?

Are woofer T/S parameters necessary for that calculation? I attach them just in case.

Original 4365 ports are roughly 8.5cm in diameter, with a lenght of roughly 15cm each.

Original 4365 box:
    1048 x 597 x 429mm outer dimensions
    4.2 cu ft (118.9L)

F6 32 Hz Anechoic 28 Hz 2Pi
    F3 38 Hz Anechoic 32 Hz 2 Pi

My assumption is that the original 4365 box is tuned to 28Hz. I read that somewhere on this site, I think. Does it seem plausible?

This pic is so sexy I have to post it again, just to rub it in!

(But I guess most of humanity would consider this the ugliest speaker they have ever seen)

Thread Information