Page 10 of 16 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY-project: JBL Kebnekaise S4365

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    hlaari knows how to pack woofers safely
    Outstanding! You could use that as the guts of a speaker cabinet (for a much smaller speaker, of course).

When I bought my M2 horns from them, they arrived unbroken. I considered this to be only luck as they were packed with bubble-wrap that looked insufficient to me. And the cardboard box was lightweight.

Are you kidding me?!

When buying 2216nd:s from speakerexchange, how is the packing then? Good?

Are you kidding me?!
    Not kidding. And I bought a pair of LE14H-3 that came in identical packing, the UPS driver was cradling the box as he was coming up to the door, the driver was hanging out of one box. As Widget pointed out in the thread those pics are from, they were never supposed to sell these 1501FE drivers to me in the first place, so I guess they didn't need to give much thought to packing.

When buying 2216nd:s from speakerexchange, how is the packing then? Good?
    Never bought from them, but I don't see how they could be worse.

I have done some more design-changes lately.

I want to use the original 4365 speaker grilles that I have, due to wild and naughty kids. Hence, the front baffle must be 547mm wide.

I also want 140L internal volume, for a M2-like tuning (and possibility to use M2 components down the road).

I want to be able to place the speaker deep in a corner, and be able to dock damping to the sides.

I added details about bracing as well, the green dotted lines.

This is the final design, I think!

It looks very wide on the drawing, but I have tried it on a paper-model of the footprint, and it is a keeper.

Friends, speak now, or forever hold your peace!

Flodstroem (or someone else), I would be very grateful if you could confirm the theoretical length and optimal placement of the BR-ports again regarding standing waves etc, with your software.

I would be very grateful for any other comments and feedback now, both negative and positive, before I send this to production.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

The paper-model of the box footprint resembles an Manta-ray. Maybe, I should change name on this project

The paper-model of the box footprint resembles an Manta-ray. Maybe, I should change name on this project
    Well you did ask.....I would just consider losing the L/R shoulders-you wont lose corner placement/triangular backside but will gain a more elegant frontal aspect when you consider the horn sitting on top(in either orientation)I've tried the H9800 horn vertically and ended up going back to horizontal as the preferred option.I'd also place the ports further apart so their outside edges line up with the edges of your driver.

Quote Originally Posted by cooky1257 View Post
    Well you did ask.....I would just consider losing the L/R shoulders-you wont lose corner placement/triangular backside but will gain a more elegant frontal aspect when you consider the horn sitting on top(in either orientation)I've tried the H9800 horn vertically and ended up going back to horizontal as the preferred option.I'd also place the ports further apart so their outside edges line up with the edges of your driver.
    Thanks for your feedback.

The shoulders was originally added because I needed to fit the driver depth (when I had smaller dimensions). But I kind of like it. But I see what you mean, they look too wide.
    If I do it like an triangle with 547mm hypotenuse/front baffle, I get too small internal volume (45L).

The ports further apart, is it estetic, or functional regard? It is tight space to the back-wall (depending on port-length), that is why they are so close togheter. I can not have them vertically centered above each other, because the grille is only 700mm high, won't cover woofer and ports.

Some more details added about damping, and placed the ports a little bit differently.

I am starting to get weight anxiety, this thing will be too heavy probably

It is really hard to get all parameters the way you want them, I have learned so far.

One of my starting parameters was to break up the 4365 into smaller parts, to reduce the weight. 4365 was too heavy to carry up may stairs.

I am starting to get weight anxiety, this thing will be too heavy probably

It is really hard to get all parameters the way you want them, I have learned so far.

One of my starting parameters was to break up the 4365 into smaller parts, to reduce the weight. 4365 was too heavy to carry up may stairs.
    Guestimate here; If you were to make the rear corner a right angle you'd recover the vol from the loss of one side shoulder and if you increase the front to back distance by 40mm you'd be pretty much good to go-spaced out ports n all...Google sketch-up is an easy and fun way to mock up some 3d ideas..

Google sketch-up is an easy and fun way to mock up some 3d ideas..
    I couldn't disagree more. A very steep learning curve there.

I have tried sketch-up 2 times, and I lost the will to live both times!
    I have an M.Sc in computer science, and I work with usability of systems.
    Sketch-up is over my head. There is probably some hidden cognitive code that needs to be broken before understanding that thing.

Sketch-up is over my head. There is probably some hidden cognitive code that needs to be broken before understanding that thing.
    First create a rectangle(550x550), then push/extrude that into a block(838mm tall) then use the line tool to mark off the top/plan and the push tool to chop away the bits you dont want-think removal of material like a sculptor.

Kebnekaise 2.5

I share your experience. It is completely not logical :-)

I use FreeCAD. It is programmable in python. I use the linux nighty builds in order to help find the bugs.

....I would just consider losing the L/R shoulders-you wont lose corner placement/triangular backside but will gain a more elegant frontal aspect when you consider the horn sitting on top(in either orientation)I've tried the H9800 horn vertically and ended up going back to horizontal as the preferred option.I'd also place the ports further apart so their outside edges line up with the edges of your driver.
    Gives you an idea of proportions...

Thread Information