Thread: JBL grill cloth

Question JBL grill cloth

Can anyone advise what if any original JBL grill cloth is available. I want to match up the grills for my L200's and 4333's. I have a feeling the cloth currently on the L200's is possibly that used by Tannoy for their studio monitors and not of JBL originand was I assume replaced by a previous owner. I am not too concerned with colour/originality if I can achieve a matched look.
    Also does anyone have any info on the grill frame for the 4333 as mine are missing?
    Incidently a former owner of my L200's has used copious amounts of a sticky doping compound on the cone surrounds of the LE15B's and I have none of the bloated bass problems reported by others.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Grille cloth

Member Steve Gonzales found grille cloth that appeared to be a close match to the JBL black and blue fabrics at a store called JoAnn's Fabrics. Click on the thread.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ghlight=JoAnns

Not sure if they would be able to ship to you or not. As far as the grille frames for the 4333's, you may end up having to make those yourself.

majick47

Speaker Cloth

Andy I am in the process of restoring my L200b speakers and just received black grill cloth from a seller on Ebay, Resonation Car Audio Supply. Ebay #5733658475. The Ebay seller lists grill cloth in assorted colors including navy blue. I checked the grill cloth at JoAnns Fabricks and wasn't too impressed. I'm real fussy and I was very pleased with the quality of the speaker cloth from Car Audio Supply. Maybe someone on the board can provide you with the dimensions of the grills for your 4333.

I purchased some of Resonation's "Navy Blue" grille cloth. It's a smaller weave than original JBL but the color is very close. It has an objectionable "sheen" to it, which may go away with uniform accumulation of dust, a common decorative element around here.

I think we agree the JoAnn's fabric is not a good match. It's "glitzy" to boot.

BUT, Steve Gonzales has found another material which, though not a perfect color match (itza little lighter blue) has the correct weave and texture. It's the one I'd use so long as it didn't have to match other JBL's in the same room.

Specifics here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/s...ead.php?t=4026

majick47

Grill Cloth

Zilch re the Resination navy blue grill cloth having a sheen, how about washing it. I just washed some older grill cloth with no ill effects, maybe it might tone it down a bit.

Thread Information