Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 21

Thread: JBL 2245H reconing.

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    76

    JBL 2245H reconing.

    hi.
    i have a question for the best professional JBL guys.

    i want to recone 2240 to an 2245.
    as there are NO original recones available i have to take aftermarket recones.
    i know they are not as good as the originals.
    but otherwise i have to take the risk.

    which aftermarkets would the pros here in the forum recommend?

    i read aboput the macKenzie her in the forum.
    but on the net i saw others too. are there experiences?
    (simply spekaers, sound speakers repair, speakers exchange, etc...)
    here in europe i canīt find ANY recones anywhere.
    poor europe.

    thx in advance
    slavko

  2. #2
    Senior Member tjm001's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Potomac Falls, Virginia, USA
    Posts
    179
    Quote Originally Posted by fencki View Post
    hi.
    i have a question for the best professional JBL guys.

    i want to recone 2240 to an 2245.
    as there are NO original recones available i have to take aftermarket recones.
    i know they are not as good as the originals.
    but otherwise i have to take the risk.

    which aftermarkets would the pros here in the forum recommend?

    i read aboput the macKenzie her in the forum.
    but on the net i saw others too. are there experiences?
    (simply spekaers, sound speakers repair, speakers exchange, etc...)
    here in europe i canīt find ANY recones anywhere.
    poor europe.

    thx in advance
    slavko
    This is the closest you will find other than the original JBL re-cone kit.


    http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-2245H-Re.../272213490963?

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    76
    hi.
    thx for your reply.
    280$ + 50$ (shipping) + 25% for customs and other thing.
    maybe a bit too much for not original cones.
    i would buy them if they were originals but for aftermarkets?
    did you try them? can anybody tell me if they are any good?

    hmmm... a bit risky for that amount of money.

    regards from winterwonderland vienna
    slavko

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    420
    Edgewound is one of LH's own long time highly regarded members. You can believe his monologue about his process. Those kits probably may as well be genuine JBL. If they came back into production, it may very well be his you would buy.

    Send him a pm.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Flodstroem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by fencki View Post
    hi.
    thx for your reply.
    280$ + 50$ (shipping) + 25% for customs and other thing.
    maybe a bit too much for not original cones.
    i would buy them if they were originals but for aftermarkets?
    did you try them? can anybody tell me if they are any good?

    hmmm... a bit risky for that amount of money.

    regards from winterwonderland vienna
    slavko
    I also can confirm what gasfan says about edgewound that those kits probably may as well be genuine JBL. Here you have his home site http://www.uplandloudspeaker.com/home.html

    If there is an important issue to get a real JBL 2245H, then you should NOT choose an "after market"
    Flodstroem

  6. #6
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,702
    The major issue is that all of the aftermarket recones (not this one above) is that they are not aquaplased. These are and you can see it on the back side of the cone. I have heard a few of the aftermarket cones and that is just a regular woofer. No longer is it a 2245H.

    If you want that driver to sound like it can, Edgewound's kit is just refurbed with new proper parts.

    I have 2 2245's in S1S boxes and I would hate to loose them. Not many subwoofers have this kind of detail and finesse for music. JMO

    Listen to what has been said above!!
    Always fun learning more.......

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    76
    thx guys for your input here.
    will have to think about it.

    already have contact to edgewound.

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    The major issue is that all of the aftermarket recones (not this one above) is that they are not aquaplased. These are and you can see it on the back side of the cone. I have heard a few of the aftermarket cones and that is just a regular woofer. No longer is it a 2245H.

    If you want that driver to sound like it can, Edgewound's kit is just refurbed with new proper parts.

    I have 2 2245's in S1S boxes and I would hate to loose them. Not many subwoofers have this kind of detail and finesse for music. JMO

    Listen to what has been said above!!

    can you give more infos on your S1S boxes?

  9. #9
    Senior Member svollmer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    584
    I concur with all the recommendations for Edgewound's kits. I've re-foamed hundreds of woofers, including 2245H cones but I haven't re-coned any. If it were me, I'd pay Edgewound the $85 to perform the re-cone so they would be perfect!

    From his ad:
    "If you would like for me to do the recone, simply ship the speaker to me and add $85.00 for labor and return shipping. I've been Factory Authorized Service for JBL Professional since 1988, so you can be sure the assembly will be pristine."

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    76
    Quote Originally Posted by svollmer View Post
    I concur with all the recommendations for Edgewound's kits. I've re-foamed hundreds of woofers, including 2245H cones but I haven't re-coned any. If it were me, I'd pay Edgewound the $85 to perform the re-cone so they would be perfect!

    From his ad:
    "If you would like for me to do the recone, simply ship the speaker to me and add $85.00 for labor and return shipping. I've been Factory Authorized Service for JBL Professional since 1988, so you can be sure the assembly will be pristine."

    this would be cool but shipment would cost about 300 or more dollars from europe.
    ;-))

  11. #11
    Senior Member Flodstroem's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    401
    Quote Originally Posted by fencki View Post
    this would be cool but shipment would cost about 300 or more dollars from europe.
    ;-))
    Thats the drawback for us in Europe if loving JBL........
    Every shipment to the Country of birth of the JBL........US cost us a fortune........
    To ship one 2245H from Norway for a service it will cost at least $110 For the return I think it will cost approx $115 (USPS priority)
    It will be a total of at least $225 for one speaker. The double $ for two..............

    So we have to go other routs and also do as much as possible of service/jobs by our self
    Flodstroem

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    76
    i hear you mate.
    if i want to ship TWO 2245h to america and back it would cost at least 500 dollars.
    so i have to recone it by myself.
    but if the recone kit is a drop-in kit, there is no magic about it.
    thats my thoughts...

    greetings from snowy vienna

  13. #13
    Administrator Mr. Widget's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    9,981
    Quote Originally Posted by fencki View Post
    this would be cool but shipment would cost about 300 or more dollars from europe.
    ;-))
    Yes, but he is willing to sell his kits for you to install. I'm sure they are the closest replacements available. I've talked to him about the replacement kits he assembles. He matches the original specs as closely as possible by picking the closest coils, spiders etc. adjusting the weight of the cone by carefully adding the right amount of aquaplas and testing the final result.


    Widget

  14. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Vienna
    Posts
    76
    i have asked him about the cones already.
    awaiting his answer...

  15. #15
    Senior Member JuniorJBL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    1,702
    Quote Originally Posted by fencki View Post
    can you give more infos on your S1S boxes?

    This is a picture I found: http://www.tmraudio.com/product/res-262


    Mine are the older boxes with the 3 ports in a straight line. I re-tuned it to 25hz.

    I have had lots of JBL subs as well as others brands and these are truly my favorite. My next favorite was the Array 1500 but even that one does not have the sound of the 2245 IMO.
    Always fun learning more.......

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Are GPA reconing kits 'genuine' and 'offical' JBL reconing kits now...?
    By NiToNi in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-26-2015, 04:09 PM
  2. Jbl e 130-8 reconing or?...
    By retro soulman in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2011, 07:46 AM
  3. Reconing
    By JBLOG in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-17-2007, 10:00 AM
  4. Reconing 2245H
    By nibbe in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-28-2006, 06:27 AM
  5. reconing in FL?
    By Hofmannhp in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-05-2004, 05:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •