Thread: JBL 120ti

JBL 120ti

G'day Folks

My first post here.

After some years of waiting due to other family priorities I recently spent a few months looking for, and eventually bought, a pair of JBL 120ti speakers.

This has been pretty difficult from Australia. I have very fond memories of a set of 250tis that belonged to a friend's father and wanted a similar quality sound. I have owned a set of 4408A studio monitors for a while but wanted the "fuller" sound of good 3 ways. There were very few options here and I followed a few false leads before tracking down a mint set of 120tis in the USA.

I did all the usual diligence around used audio gear and thought I'd covered most things off.

Unfortunately, the grilles were shipped in a separate parcel from the speakers and were lost in transit.

It's very sad as the speakers were in such great shape as were the grilles.

I've spent some time looking in the usual places and have been unable to locate spare grilles.

Aside from waiting an indeterminate time for them to come up on the auction site is there somewhere else folks could point me toward?

I really don't want to have to send these back.

regards

Ironbark

Given the time and cost of tracking them down, particularly in your location, it seems prudent to just make a pair.
    Somewhere around here should be some specs, or someone might provide specs. They are usually pretty simple to make.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Given the time and cost of tracking them down, particularly in your location, it seems prudent to just make a pair.
    Somewhere around here should be some specs, or someone might provide specs. They are usually pretty simple to make.

Thank you, it's an idea that had, briefly, occurred to me. However, these grilles are on proprietary pegs and they stand out from the speaker surface. I had a look at a few images online and they appeared to be made using a moulded plastic frame with specific contours and cloth stretched over that. I was defeated by the complexity of reproducing such components.

If someone has specifications that would allow me make satisfactory reproductions it would be much appreciated.

Ironbark

I have a pair of 120Ti's that are in daily use.
    Picked my pair up pretty cheap, but needed grilles also.

Ran a WTB post here and someone popped up with an extra set.
    They are rather flimsy, but also look be be not hard to make some that work.

Did you do a post office tracer on the missing set ?

Use the net plus this forum ,, must be more out there. Even if you have to fab some,
    they are worth the effort.

IMHO , they are the second best JBL 12 inch bookshelves ever made, second only
    to the $5,000/pr. Century Golds
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by Ironbark View Post
    Thank you, it's an idea that had, briefly, occurred to me. However, these grilles are on proprietary pegs and they stand out from the speaker surface. I had a look at a few images online and they appeared to be made using a moulded plastic frame with specific contours and cloth stretched over that. I was defeated by the complexity of reproducing such components.

If someone has specifications that would allow me make satisfactory reproductions it would be much appreciated.

Ironbark
    Most any clever cabinet maker could sort all that out. Plastic pegs are available on eBay. All you'd really need is some plywood and fabric, pegs and some way to create spacers for the pegs. The OE frames are probably plastic, but plywood would suffice. A router will do the rest.

I think I sent my unused set to Seawolf years ago. I don't use them at all and wonder - do you really need them ? The speakers look and sound better without them imho so unless you have small children wanting to poke in the driver's dust caps, why bother ?

jblnut

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    Plastic pegs are available on eBay.
    Including the badges
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Pair...sAAOSwEzxYav-d
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by jblnut View Post
    I think I sent my unused set to Seawolf years ago. I don't use them at all and wonder - do you really need them ? The speakers look and sound better without them imho so unless you have small children wanting to poke in the driver's dust caps, why bother ?

jblnut

I can see your point, however, in addition to my own I have a number of small people in and out of my house and have had to do the masking tape trick with tempting domes before when grilles have been off.

Grilles are going to be essential at my place for the foreseeable future.

Ironbark

Thread Information