Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Altec Valencia Rehab

Had the Altecs in the house for a few days now for comparison with my "other" speakers. Sadly they did not win. Will post in marketplace.

I was afraid that might be the case. Horn-based speakers are simply NOT part of everybody's taste, experience, and accumulated expectations of how a speaker should sound. This is especially true of horn systems that have not been massaged to compensate for the very "forward" midrange frequencies. And that's no shame. It's just a matter of taste.

And that is exactly why I keep cone-based and horn-based speakers on hand, though my Altecs are out of the loop right now. My horn moods are filled by a pair of Heresies at present. Sometimes I'm in the mood for one, sometimes for the other.

Thanks for posting your adventure, Rob. I'm sure you'll be having some more speaker forays and I've love to see you post them here for all of us to enjoy.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks GDM. Its not that they didn't sound good. The bass shook my innards but the mid highs were not as detailed as my current setup. Maybe I can find some 19's next.

I need to do some more studying before I attempt building a better crossover for speakers like this. At least whoever gets them will have an original speaker, sans grills, to start with.

Hi Rob! What a nice read ... Altec Valencias AND Sovreigns?? Nice finds!
    I just snagged a pair of Heathkit AS101s (sort of Valencias) Saturday night - I'm still working out delivery details and such (prob uShip)
    to get it to me in Virginia, just outside DC!
    Think I'll be stepping down that crossover rebuild path once I get some time with the - I mean, I know crossovers suffer over 40+ years ...
    Anyway, there are a lot of readers on the site who don't post - heck, I've been on this site a number of years with the JBL fever -
    I'm just starting with Altecs as of some Model 15s I got in December! And I'll sell them off to fund the Heathkits!

Attachment 79786

Quote Originally Posted by roblectric View Post
    Wow! Just when I thought this thread was going to die out and be a lurker classic. Finally finished the grill on the other speaker today. Next is getting them from the workshop into the house. I was able to get them from the tailgate of my truck and onto the sawhorse table by myself and that took everything this wore out body had in it. Getting them to the floor, where I can put a dolly under them, will require some assistance. I have already had two back surgeries and know my limitations.

How do they sound? At first I hooked them up to a modern Pioneer AV receiver and was not impressed. My other choice was a Sansui QR6500 that really woke them up. I cannot describe with detail, like some do, the nuances of lows,mid, and highs but I am not completely tone deaf. Should be after all the rock concerts I went to as a youngster. Popped in a cd of ZZtops greatest hits and immediately noticed some thump you in the chest bass and better overall mids and highs but something seemed missing. Took the same cd into the house and listened on my, ahem,vintage Pioneer system and found the detail that the Altec's lacked. I am sure a Zilch designed crossover would help but I haven't searched/found/saved to file the schematic yet.

Someone saw the JBL's I had and made me an offer that was too good to pass up. The woofers needed to be refoamed and I decided they were not a good choice for a first time rookie. I have a pair of JBL D123's that I will need to recone and will get my practice on them.
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Thread Information