Thread: Alternative or improvement midrange for JBL l300

Alternative or improvement midrange for JBL l300

My dad has a pair of l300's and I always wanted my own. After a long search with no good results I decided to make my own. I am very happy with the way they turned out and I want to thank all the people in this forum that share the info and knowledge. Now so far I have the cabinets with 2235h lows and 2405h highs. The thing is I was never impressed with the mids(le85) as far as the transparency and imaging but everything else I love about these speakers. Now I am asking is there anything better then then le85's any other combo driver horn or even a woofer that you recommend. They don't need to go in the cabinet as I can put them on top. So far I have looked at 2440 and 2441 but I am not sure what I am doing so any help is welcomed
    Thank you
    Minush
    PS
    Now I am using an active crossover with some horns I have made for a different project
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Minush View Post
    My dad has a pair of l300's and I always wanted my own. After a long search with no good results I decided to make my own. I am very happy with the way they turned out and I want to thank all the people in this forum that share the info and knowledge. Now so far I have the cabinets with 2235h lows and 2405h highs. The thing is I was never impressed with the mids(le85) as far as the transparency and imaging but everything else I love about these speakers. Now I am asking is there anything better then then le85's any other combo driver horn or even a woofer that you recommend. They don't need to go in the cabinet as I can put them on top. So far I have looked at 2440 and 2441 but I am not sure what I am doing so any help is welcomed Thank you Minush PS Now I am using an active crossover with some horns I have made for a different project
    Hi Minush, I would suggest 244x (AL, or SL diaphragm) with Yuichi A290 horn as it would need no EQ, and has wide horizontal dispersion (as 2308 lenses). The problem is to make such complicated construction as A290 is.

May be interesting too, as A320FL

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...4016-Arai-horn

Regards Ivica

What Ivica said is a great option but the horn was a little more than I could do at the time. I was recommended the 2440 with 2397 style horn as seen here. Either option would be an upgrade from the original in my opinion. Plus the clarity of the 4 inch compression driver is unmatched. Keep us posted.

Thank you gentleman,
    I have decided to go with a smith horn and 2441 according to your suggestions. The horns are done and the paint is drying. The drivers will be here tomorrow. I got them locally for a very good price and as a bonus they came with beryllium diaphragms. I got one more question.
    Is it going to be a problem that all my other drivers are 8 ohm and the 2441's are 16 ohm?

Thank you again for your time

Is it going to be a problem that all my other drivers are 8 ohm and the 2441's are 16 ohm?

Thank you again for your time
    Though nearly all of the JBLs crossovers incorporating the 2440,41 etc was design for the 16 ohm compressions drivers despite the rest of the drivers where 8 ohm there was hardly no problems due to the compression drivers greater efficiency..........
    Your using the active crossover what I understand and theres no problem doing that. But you need a protection network for to protect the compression drivers from harmful LF

Btw, welcome to the LHforum
    Flodstroem

Quote Originally Posted by Flodstroem View Post
    Your using the active crossover what I understand and theres no problem doing that. But you need a protection network for to protect the compression drivers from harmful LF
    Also be sure to run a protection cap from any posible dc that may occure. Nice pickup on the 2441's

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Also be sure to run a protection cap from any posible dc that may occure. Nice pickup on the 2441's
    It may be a stupid question but what is a protection cap?
    The drivers sound incredible with the horns again thank you for your suggestion.

It may be a stupid question but what is a protection cap?
    That is a capacitor added i series with the compression driver. If for some reason, your amp by some sort of malfunction should put out a small or heavy amount of DC current the capacitor/"cap" will prevent the DC to reach the driver and it will not be destroyed. Same applies to if LF for some reason should be put out from the amp. A so called protection network incorporates that Cap just so you are aware of that.
    Flodstroem

Here you could read more about using protection caps:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...ection+network
    Flodstroem

Thread Information